The Time Tunnel Forums

ABC (ended 1967)

Thoughts About the Episode "One Way to the Moon"

lhcjr

[1]Mar 3, 2006
    • level: 5
    When Beard had to calculate the possibility of a safe lunar landing with the added weight of Doug and Tony, why did he perform the calculation using pencil and paper? The Time Tunnel project staff were using their in-house computers to do the calculation. Wouldn't you think that the onboard computer (10 years more advanced than the Tunnel's systems) were capable of doing the same calculation, in fact, faster?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

An4h0ny

[2]Jun 19, 2006
    • level: 2
    the less you try to apply 'real world' logic to Irwin Allen productions, the more you'll enjoy them.

plupi

[3]Jun 26, 2006
    • level: 3

I haven't seen the episode in a little while, but here goes. Maybe one explanation is that they did the computation by computer and he was just checking all variables himself, just to make sure of the computer logic. Or two, the Time Tunnel computers were more advanced since this was a top secret project that cost billions to put together. Or three, he needed to convince them to land, because he wanted to land on the there anyway and was using this as an excuse.

I'll watch again and see if my answers make any sense at all.

lhcjr

[4]Jul 13, 2006
    • level: 5
    An4h0ny wrote:
    the less you try to apply 'real world' logic to Irwin Allen productions, the more you'll enjoy them.

You're absolutely right. When I watched the series when it originally aired, being fairly young, I didn't let the "real world" cloud my opinions. As I get older, that's harder to do.

infomike

[5]Jul 22, 2006
    • level: 1
    I have to agree that it's best not to try to analyze the series too closely. It's for entertainment. That being said, there are places in some episodes that seem very inconsistent and puzzling. Maybe, we'll discuss some of those another time.

PikeBishop

[6]Feb 16, 2008
    • level: 31
    Funny as it is to consider, go and watch the film Apollo 13. Check out the scene where they have to double check the calculations and the NASA guys pull out slide rules and pencils and paper. The reprogrammable memory chip was not invented until the early 70's, so yes, we sent men to the Moon, in actual fact and in Time Tunnel fact, before we had a calculator that could add two plus two.

infomike

[7]Mar 1, 2008
    • level: 1
    What's even more interesting to me is that they had us attempting manned missions to Mars in 1978 when we still aren't close to doing that, 30 years later.

archangelwho

[8]Jul 15, 2012
    • level: 19

lhcjr wrote:
    An4h0ny wrote:
    You're absolutely right. When I watched the series when it originally aired, being fairly young, I didn't let the "real world" cloud my opinions. As I get older, that's harder to do.
    Agreed. There are times when you have to let the real world go and just enjoy.