The Time Tunnel

ABC (ended 1967)

Gislef

The Time Tunnel Fan Reviews (11)

7.9
  • Interesting TV show in its era, but, has not aged well with the passage of time.

I loved "Time Tunnel" as a kid when it originally aired, built toy models of the control room from ViewMaster 3D slides of the show, acted out my own adventures. But a lot in terms of historical understanding and television technology has changed over the past 40 years, making the program, ironically, an anachronism with each passing year. Most of the episode historical backdrops are now known to be inaccurate or flat out wrong, which diminishes the interest value. Plots, characters and special effects are noticeably poor. As a whole, measured against its contemporary sci-fi shows (1966 - 67), "Time Tunnel" is a bit above "Lost In Space" but well below "Star Trek." It's tough to sit through an entire episode without seeing obvious flaws, cliche plots and one-dimensional characters. Personal nostalgia urges me to overlook all this, but it's very, very hard. Sadly, what thrilled me as a kid during the original run disappoints me as an adult the second time around. Some things are, indeed, better left in the past.