A The Tomorrow People Community
The CW (ended 2014)

We've now entered Week 4 of Fall TV's Premiere-a-Palooza, since The CW hopes that debuting most of its newbies a little later in the season will help them avoid some of the competition. Good idea in theory, even though probably won't make much of a difference. But hey, that doesn't mean all of the new shows from the Little Network That (Sorta) Could are bad. I'm here to tell you what to expect from the network's buzziest non-vampire new show of the season, The Tomorrow People, in today's edition of Hey TV.com, How Pretty Are the Pretty People in This New CW Show?

The Tomorrow People... so they're pretty people from the future?

Sort of! This serial drama follows a group of young people with special abilities (telekinesis, teleportation, etc.) called Homo-Superiors (zing). They've advanced to that state as part of the latest step in human evolution. Unsurprisingly, there are other people hunting them down—most notably, deadly organizations run by doctors and fellow 'break-outs' who are working for the wrong side. 

Who are the Tomorrow People and who created them yesterday?

At the center of this story is Robbie Amell's Stephen Jameson, a reluctant but EXTRA special Homo-Superior who's lugging around quite a lot of emotional baggage in the form of his missing/AWOL/maybe dead father (who is, of course, also special). Serving as Stephen's Jedi masters are John Young (played by Luke MitchellH20: Just Add Water), Cara Coburn (the perpetually barely legal Peyton List from Mad Men and FlashForward), and Russell Kwon (Aaron Yoo21). The show's baddie, Dr. Jedikiah Price, is portrayed by one of the best: Mark Pellegrino (LostSupernaturalBeing Human). This version of the show was adapted by Greg Berlanti (ArrowPolitical Animals), Julie Plec (The Vampire Diaries), and Phil Klemmer (Chuck). Wait, "this version"? Yep, it's based on the 1970s original British series of the same name and premise, which itself was remade across the pond in the 1990s and again in the early 2000s. 

When do the Tomorrow People arrive?

The Tomorrow People debuts Wednesday, October 9, at 9pm, right after the Season 2 premiere of Arrow. In case you've been living under a rock—or just choose to ignore The CW like most of the world—the two shows combine to form EPIC AMELL FAMILY NIGHT (Robbie and Arrow's Stephen are cousins). 

What other stuff does The Tomorrow People feel like?

Visually, it looks a lot like Nikita, which makes sense because the two shows share the same pilot director (Danny Cannon). Narratively, The Tomorrow People will remind you of all kinds of things, from X-MenThe Matrix, and Heroes. It also has a whole lot of that Joseph Campbell-y Hero's Journey stuff, so if you've seen any blockbuster film in the last 10 years, this will all be immediately recognizable. 

What's good about the People?

The pilot's story is efficiently told and the premise is immediately established and understandable. There's a lot of potential here, and you can easily imagine multiple seasons' worth of story right from the jump. Mark Pellegrino and Aaron Yoo are clearly having fun chewing scenery and spouting exposition respectfully. The CGI used to depict the Homo-Superiors' abilities looks decent for a CW budget. 

What's not so advanced about the show?

Uh, I'm not sure Robbie Amell can act. I'm pretty sure Peyton List isn't very good. And those two get the most material and most complicated material in the opening episode. Amell isn't anywhere near terrible, but he seems pretty green. That works to his advantage in scenes where his character Stephen is supposed to be completely out-of-sorts with regard to his circumstances, but it's a detriment in the back half of the pilot, when Stephen accepts the call, or whatever. Amell's going to have to improve along with the show to make The Tomorrow People worth watching on a consistent basis. I don't see why he can't do that. 

Beyond that, the story is so familiar, even if you haven't seen the original series, which is kind of a bummer. But other CW shows have started on the mediocre-to-bad level (The Vampire Diaries, most notably) and improved past a generic premise. 

So, should I watch it?

*I* think so. The pilot isn't great, but the show has potential. If you're into what The CW typically offers, you'll enjoy this. If you need a sci-fi fix (and there's certainly a dearth of the genre on TV right now), you should check it out, and be patient. The Tomorrow People has a good creative team in place that will be able to make the proper adjustments. 

Trailer, please. 

Sure!

The Tomorrow People debuts Wednesday, October 9, at 9pm

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/5/2014

Season 1 : Episode 22

87 Comments
Comments (87)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
20 minutes in and they've already killed a black person
Flag
im gonna watch this tonight if i'm able to view it
Flag
It doesn't look really good, but it looks good enough to make me give it a chance.
Flag
It reminds me of the movie "Push" (with Chris Evans). Love sci-fi so I'll be tuning in.
Flag
its heroes but for a new generation!
Flag
I wasn't going to watch TVD but then I couldn't help myself, I don't think i should watch this either but...maybe just one...
Flag
I just want Mark Pellegrino to have a regular role somewhere, he is so awesome. More pretty young people on CW, now THAT'S shocking...
Flag
Of course, let's not forget the first true Homo Superior...

Flag
Not as good sign when the show starts by stealing a term from the X-men!

Flag
I seem to recall this from the 1970s when I was into my Dr. Who period (as well as a lot of other Brit shows). Might be worth a look.
Flag
I enjoyed the 90's version. So I'll check this one out.
Flag
Nah...., but my kids will probably watch it.
Flag
Ha, no.
Flag
And the CW continues its trend of casting folks from H20. How long before Indiana Evans is cast to star in a show about a sexy Mummy who fights crime with 3 sassy sidekicks.

Oh, no, I just realized they might actually make that show.

Flag
Ironically, the original show seemed fresh and original because shows about younger people were not that common, and neither were superpowers. Now, however, it's an entirely different story.

Another thing. Robbie Amell is 25, and Peyton List is 27. Why do the producers have they play high-schoolers? I mean, do the characters *have* to be in high school? Is that going to alienate the CW audience if they aren't? (What about shows like Arrow or Nikita?) I thought the CW was way past that. I hear the network is supposed to be geared at "young adults" so why not make the characters exactly that?

I just want to correct Tim in one thing. Mark Pellegrino isn't the bad guy. he even says so that himself in the trailer. Then, of course he isn't.
Flag
To offer a theory on why people in their 20's & up tend to be cast as high school kids:
Casting kids who are actually highschool age is a recipe for disaster. Theoretically, the ones in their 20's have more maturity to treat their job as a job (TV work is effin' grueling) & presumably have less potential to become asshats & primadonnas if the show becomes a hit. Past that, realistically, it has less to do with actual age & more to do with actual maturity level of the actors, but child stars are historically notorious for imploding when they get famous...so, better safe than sorry from a producing point of view I guess.

I'm sure there are entire books written on the subject, but who wants to go into that kind of detail in a single post?
Flag
Staff
Well, and people over 18 can work longer hours too. Can't forget that.
Flag
good point. I did forget that ::facepalm::
Flag
I know chikdren, teenagers and animals are complicated to work with. What I meant is why not use the same actors but playing young adults in their 20s instead of in high school.
Flag
I have no idea, I would also like to know why Vampires, Aliens, Werewolves, and Superhumans would attend high school.
Flag
Ah! OK...got ya now...honestly, your guess is as good as mine ::shrug:: I s'pose the suits at the CW are just generally afraid to mess with the general CW formula.
(best to appeal to as many American upper-middle class suburban white kids with parent-given disposable income as possible in order to sell as much product they place in their shows as they can get away with)
Flag
Correction: Cory, not Tim.
Flag
That's kind of a stupid question, of course people should watch it.
Flag
hes just so damn hot....
Flag
Peyton List acted in Mad Men, too. So, you're telling me the person who did the casting for that acclaimed series called an actress who can't act that great? I'm not believing it.
Flag
Staff
Did you watch her on Mad Men?
Flag
No, I never watched Mad Men but I know it's a really loved series(with great acting). And if she really was/is a bad actress, then the casting crew would have sent her away since the beginning, but no, she acted on 15 episodes.
Flag
Pretty much anything with pretty people and powers has me hooked, I'm in :)
Flag
Looks fairly interesting. Love a bitta Luke Mitchell, so yes for that.
Mark Pellegrino, also yes.
Sci-Fi, yes again.
After last year being so disappointing with new shows, hopefully this year turns out a bit better.
Flag
On Cable we have Breaking Bad.
On Network we have Person of Interest.

After beautiful shows like that i can watch a cw show. I pass.
Flag
I love Nikita and used to enjoy the 90s version of this as a youngen.
I watch everything sci-fi on the CW so this is an easy pick to watch.
The CW makes SyFy "pretty" much obsolete now.

Flag
Definitely excited for this. I need something to replace the Alphas-sized hole in my heart.
Flag
oh yeah, I'm still smarting over Alphas. Dammit!
Flag
As a genre fan, I'll be watching... But I'm not expecting anything great, so I hope the show surprises me.
Flag
I miss Alphas.
Flag
My thoughts exactly. While reading this I was thinking why couldn't they continue that instead? But this is a different network, so not much point in saying that. Hopefully the CW won't wait until the series is getting good and cancel.
Flag
Staff
shit, totally forgot about it. now i do too.
Flag
Eh, they sound like procrastinators to me.
Flag
Agents of Shield dissapointed me. I hope this one doesnt. Its this or bust !
Flag
Staff
ehhh...it's weird to say it, but both shows are generic in their own ways.
Flag
I'm really looking forward to this one. That doesn't mean they wont screw it up, but I really want this to be good. Mind you, I grew up on the old show as the boxsets on my shelf can atest.
Flag
Staff
is the old show that good? don't know a lot about it.
Flag
I s'pose it depends on the person watchin'...Personally, I loved it as a kid but I'm afraid to rewatch any of the old eps now because it'll probably ruin the nostalgic warm & fuzzies I have for it.

I made that mistake by rewatching some of the old BSG's after getting into the remake & holy 'effin' sheepsnot! the old one was so dated & horribly acted that I've regretted it ever since
Flag
Well, I like "Heroes" things and Mark Pellegrino makes me want to watch this. I don't really care about Amell. :P
Flag
Looking at this, I only wish April 2014 to come sooner, when the second season of "Orphan Black" begins ...
Flag
I'm gonna check out the pilot just for Mark Pellegrino. That guy rules!!
Flag
This is not my preferred genre, so I'd need something *very* appealing to give it a try. This isn't it, so I'll pass.
Flag
I agree with Peyton List not being very good and she has done enough work to tell you that she wouldn't be a very captivating lead but we'll see.
I think if the CW would try to make shows less teenager-y like Arrow but still young, they'd be more sucessful in garnering viewers without sacrificing the teenage audience. I love sci-fi and I'm not that far removed from my teenage years but I'm still turned off by the teenage-y feel of the cast. I'll watch and see if it's good sci-fi or an excuse to throw together a young, good-looking cast engaged in love triangles.
Flag
I agree with your point, but the problem here is the source material - the original Tomorrow People were even younger. The CW's problem isn't taking grown up stories and setting them in high school, it's that they continually choose high school stories.
Flag
No, in the original, the actor who played the new guy and youngest member, Stephen, was 16, while the core characters were well in their 20s. And considering the show lasted for eight seasons, with the characters that stuck all the way, in the end we even got some "tomorrow people" well into their 30s.

I used to love that show because there was nothing like it on TV, and at that time the concept was fresh and original.
Flag
Just sayin' (It could just be me, I dunknow) but "Jarvis" from the Iron Man flicks always reminded me of "Tim"
Flag
Oh, TIM! That's a good one. Now what you said makes sense, Marburg66. And sure our Tim would be proud to be remembered.
Flag
@ Mad-pac...heh! you misunderstand. I don't mean Tim from here, I mean "Tim" the computer from The Tomorrow People :P
Flag
I keep calling Cory Tim. Somehow I think of the word "Tim" as a generic name for all male columnists at tv.com
Flag
I wasn't familar with the original, but yeah, you're exactly right.
Flag
Staff
Yeah it's dumb that Stephen is in high school. Amell doesn't pass as a HS student, and it doesn't add to the story--source material or not.
Flag
Perhaps he's dumb?!
Flag
May I please inquire how many failed series have had similar story lines?
Flag
Staff
While I still think it was a mistake to screw with the Arrow/Supernatural Wednesday night line up, I'm still going to watch The Tomorrow People. I enjoyed the pilot, and like Cory said, the show does have potential.
Flag
Count. Me. In.
Flag
I'll watch. I don't watch anything on Wednesdays, and this looks interesting enough to at least try out the pilot.
Flag
Pellegrino!!!!!!!!!!!! YES!
Flag
My neighbor's sister-in-law...oh sheesh!! i just realized i know nothing about my neighbor's sister in law..or my neighbor. Seriously TV.com, can you do something about the spammers?..
About The Tomorrow People, i will be watching. I am a sucker for anything Sci Fi. But no matter how abs-worthy younger Amell turns out, the 4 episodes test will apply to his show too.

Flag
Haha! I know nothing about any neighbour's sister-in-law either but I'm betting they made a lot of $$$ with little effort. :-)
Flag
Looks like it's made for teenagers ( not an inslult here !).
If the storylines involve more sci fi than romance and the actors are at least mediocre ; I won't say good, I'll give it a try.
Flag
Not sure about this one.
Flag
I used to watch import reruns of TTP as a kid, so I have a soft spot in my heart for it. I'm willing to watch this new one because I have a soft spot in my head for it.
Flag
I'm not a big fan of Amell, something about his face, his eyes in particular, kind of annoys me for some reason. But I'll still watch it, that one guy looks alot like a young Agron (from Spartacus) so he and Mark Pellegrino are enough reason to check it out for me.
Flag
Did that guy force-choke a dude in that trailer?!
Flag
Staff
more or less, yeah
Flag
I will be watching, and honestly wonder if the Robbie problem is the same we all were initially concerned with his cousin who was so stiff all the time (then they introduced Island Oliver and pre everything Oliver and you were like, oh, that's actually an acting choice of basically what I believe he interprets as a PTSD patient). But it looks to me to be the most, I guess, reliable of the new shows? Like, I like a bunch of the new shows, more than I thought I would, but you get cautious about attaching yourself to new shows with network's quick triggers, this seems safe and will have the CW's, I guess, longevity to show thing with it. The CW show I am actually excited about is the 100.
Flag
Yep, there should be a term for that! When you're reluctant to adopt a new show because of the burn and memories of the Network's Quick-draw McGraws shooting them down before they flourish. Arrow was great because of the "PTSD" 24 hour island survival thing and the Ironman-like "mission" he took on. Now with the Flash as guest star etc, superpowers are gonna cancel out the human achievement stuff that made it comparable with the Batman movies. Should only be one Amell per supernatural world as a rule.
Flag
Is it too optimistic to hold out hope that the Flash isn't going to be a superpowered meta-freak in the Arrowverse & instead simply some meth-head speed freak?
::fingers crossed::
Flag
Thanks for the article, Cory. I was on the fence on this one but you convinced me to give it a try. Oh and also thanks for recognizing the sad state of sci-fi offerings on TV right now. What I wouldn't give for a good space show. . . But alas, the networks are too focused on developing the next amazingly unique police/detective/FBI/CSI procedural. And in the meantime I'll embrace whatever is offered that is NOT the same ol' same ol'.
Flag
I thought Marvel would have an issue with the 'homo superior' thing. Still, they nomenclature is the least they could've changed.
Flag
I don't need any Amell in my life, but this show looks good.
Flag
Hey TV.com, is there a sexy Amell in this? Well, then I will be watching. Nothing else to consider. :D
Flag
Follow this Show
Members