A The Tomorrow People Community
The CW (ended 2014)
After watching the first two episodes I find that I am very curious about the "homo-superiors" inability to kill. It has clearly been made known to us in each of the first two episodes that they can't take a life. However, after watching the second episode and learning that not only can they control objects with their minds, but people as well has me thinking. Would a "homo-superior" be able to kill indirectly by having someone under their control perform the act. This is something that has been running through my mind over the last 24 hours and I'm curious to hear other people's thoughts on it.
Comments (22)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
i'm thinking that it's similar to hypnotism, in the sense that you cannot force anyone to do something they really don't want to do. Though I was thinking that being able to kill indirectly should be possible, even with their apparent inability to directly kill anyone.
Flag
If that were the case then that would mean that the bank guard wasn't opposed to robbing the bank and he looked pretty against it in the episode. Same goes for the armored truck driver and crashing.
Flag
That's not what I saw. I noticed he didn't want to shoot anybody but actually robbing the bank wasn't completely an issue.
Flag

I'm really on the fence about this show, will it just be another moody teenager series with no depth?
Flag
If they stick to the original UK format then the answer is no they can't knowingly kill.
Unknowingly they can kill. e.g. if they throw something and it hits the person and kills them.
Flag
I thought the second episode was terrible, so maybe they should be able to!

I'm really hoping this does not continue along the lines of 'plot moving forwards because of stupid actions by characters with no common-sense'. I don't think shows like this should set things up so the audience are twice as smart as the main characters.
Flag
Couldn't agree more. There's so much potential but so far he's had more mood swings than someone going through the menopause.

Hopefully things will improve
Flag
I am almost wondering if they can't kill others, but what if they can kill each other? And maybe have been fooled. But in response to your question, I wonder too since Kyle there seemed unwilling to have the security guy kill anyone. I wonder what the consequences would have been for him if Stephen had fallen (though you have to think, wouldn't Stephen have teleported while falling to land safely?)
Flag
Ya that's a good point and it makes me think of another question I had. There was one point in the episode where Stephen was chasing his partner, who was chasing the kid and they would just teleport to the other side of the wall. Why wouldn't the kid just teleport somewhere further away? Also, can they tell where each other teleported? How did they know he just teleported to the other side of the wall as opposed to the other side of the city?
Flag
I think you have to know where you are going to teleport or generally have an intention (so Stephen thought school, but wasn't specific, so he landed in the janitor's closet, he had no control, he landed probably on the otherside of his bedroom wall). Like, I have a memory of another show where someone could teleport (and this could just be Kitty Cat from X Men) who had to be able to picture where they were going. Like Kyle couldn't think straight while being chased, didn't think he was anything but crazy, and barely registered what he was doing. I also theorize that all of the powers (except the telepathy, I don't have an explanation for that) are just all parts of being able to move and manipulate time so teleporting is moving really fast, moving stuff is controlling time, and even Stephen's ability to stop time is actually just an extension of telekinesis.

Going on that theory, then, they actually can see where the other has gone if they follow immediately, but any longer than like a nano second, they just all have a mutual destination in mind. But because they are moving at the same rate, they can see each other whereas normal humans cannot.
More +
Flag
They can't kill... Ok but when the kid pushed Stephen on the roof and he almost fall, grabbed just in time by the blond guy. And a fall from this height would have certainly killed him... Then they can kill!!
Flag
My guess would be no, but at the same time, the new kid would have pushed Stephen off the building if not for John saving him, so wouldn't that have counted as killing? That scene confused me because he shouldn't have been able to do that.
Flag
They established in the original that accidental killings are possible. I rewatched the scene to doublecheck the shot & the camera showed the kid's face the moment the no-kill switch turned on, which is why he stopped his force push & ran off. Stephen was standing straight enough to no fall, but he just happened to have a vertigo moment when he looked down & started to loose his balance at that point. The kid wouldn't be responsible for that
Flag
I'd say no. Reason being is because in order to kill indirectly via mind control, they would need to directly order the death of their target. The moment they order a murder, that pesky migraine would kick in & stop 'em from completing the proxy thought voodoo. That said, I don't remember any actual mind control in the ep. What scene? Maybe I just missed it

Flag
Oh DUH! massive brain fart on my part. The security guard ::facepalm::
Flag
Yeah I noticed that too, and then Jed's all like: you will mutate to kill one day...
If they can kill, then the war becomes kinda pointless/over though? (because The Tomorrow People will win)
Flag
Follow this Show
Members