A The Tomorrow People Community
The CW (ended 2014)

Hey you! This isn't a review, it's a PREview. Huge difference. Most notably, the "P." Also, these PREviews are based on early cuts of pilots that might change drastically by the time they officially hit the air, so we can't properly review them. But we CAN give you an idea of what to expect. In this series of early looks at the new shows of fall 2013, there's no contemplating, no deep analysis; just super-duper quick thoughts on what we just watched that we're passing on to you. We'll revisit each previewed show in the fall with the hyper-intellectual breakdowns and fart jokes you're used to from us goons here at TV.com. 

The Tomorrow People – Wednesdays starting October 9 at 9pm on The CW

STARRING AND CREATED BY: The CW is picking from the Amell Tree and has cast the cousin of Arrow's Stephen, Robbie (Revenge), as the lead. But you'll find the typical cast of attractive youngsters, per The CW's mission statement, including Luke Mitchell (Australia's Neighbours), Peyton List (Mad Men), Aaron Yoo (21), and older familiar faces in Mark Pellegrino (Supernatural) and Jason Dohring (Veronica Mars). Super producers Greg Berlanti and Julie Plec will executive produce, while Chuck's Phil Klemmer will be the day-to-day boss. Yes, it's based on the 1970s British series of the same name.

THE GIST: This comes straight out of The CW Mad Libs that creates most of their shows. In this one, hot teens have superpowers, basically. Stephen Jameson (R. Amell) and all his weird behaviors (he sleepwalks, for one) and potential are sought after by two groups: The Tomorrow People, a band of like-powered attractive youngsters, and Ultra, a group of militia-ish scientists who are not very nice. You can guess which side Pellegrino is on. It's X-men with less costumes and Heroes with a deeper established mythology.

SNAP JUDGMENT: Have you ever seen any show or movie about a group of covert people with superpowers? Then you've pretty much seen The Tomorrow People. There's nothing bad about The Tomorrow People, but there's also a missed opportunity to add something new to the formula that's been worn thin with the abundance of superhero media. There will be fighting, teleporting, telepathic communication, telekinesis, bullies that experience Stephen learning how to use his powers first hand, and oblivious unpowered humans who are none the wiser. Mix all of that with some typical teen drama and stir. The good thing is that for people like me, this type of superhero-origin story doesn't really get old and The Tomorrow People doesn't make any glaring mistakes. So yes, you've seen this before, but you also liked it before. And as a last burst of confidence, the pilot concludes with a neat little twist that shows a bit more potential than the previous 55 minutes did. But it's not quite enough to get really jazzed about the series.

PILOTITIS DIAGNOSIS: As Jameson is a newcomer to all these secret teams of superpeople and battle for the world stuff, a lot of people spend a lot of time telling him (and us) what's been going on.

FACES TO LOOK OUT FOR: It's to be seen if Amell can lead a series like his cousin can, but Mitchell's great and he's in for a long career of bouncing around The CW from show to show. 

RANDOM THOUGHTS: Must every show about weird kids in high school involve a kid shouting out loud in the middle of class and bullies getting their butts kicked by the "hero"?  Yes, yes they must.

EXCITEMENT LEVEL: For the most part, this is pretty plain, but genre fans should find this an ample addition to The CW's lineup. On the 1 to 10 scale, this taps at a 6.

PILOT PREVIEW POWER RANKINGS: 

(Where we rank the fall season's pilots based on very early impressions)

DRAMA

1. Almost Human - J.J. Abrams and J.H. Wyman's robotic buddy-cop drama

2. The 100 - Teens have fun (and die) on post-apocalyptic Earth while the adults fight each other in a big tin can orbiting the planet

3. Intelligence - Josh Holloway stars as a Cyber Command agent who has Wi-Fi in his brain

4. Sleepy Hollow - Ichabod Crane zaps to the future to help a detective stop The Headless Horseman

5. The Tomorrow People - Young people, including Stephen Amell's cousin, get superpowers.

6. The Blacklist - James Spader is a master criminal who turns himself in to the FBI on one condition: He only works with the pretty new FBI agent

7. Hostages - Toni Collette is a doctor whose family is taken hostage and will be killed by Dylan McDermott's character unless she kills the President in surgery

8. Dracula - Jonathan Rhys Meyers is the fanged one in this re-imagining of the classic story of an undead guy chasing his old girlfriend

9. Lucky 7 - A group of gas-station employees win the lottery, for better or worse

COMEDY

1. Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Andy Samberg and a bunch of buffoons are cops in Brooklyn

2. Trophy Wife - Malin Akerman marries into a big family and ends up with two ex-wives and three stepchildren in the process 

3. The Crazy Ones - Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Gellar are a father-daughter team in the advertising business

4. Mom - Anna Faris and Allison Janney play a mother and daughter with life problems

5. Enlisted - Geoff Stults goes to army reject camp with his two brothers 

6. About a Boy - Jason Katims' TV adaptation of the film adaption of Nick Hornby's novel about a man-boy friendship

7. Super Fun Night - Rebel Wilson and her loser friends hit the social scene

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/5/2014

Season 1 : Episode 22

96 Comments
Comments (99)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I'm totally looking forward to The 100... looks sick!!
Flag
You had me at Jason Dohring. The premiss sounds interesting enough and the cast ain't half bad looking (I don't know any of them so hard to say more before the Pilot)
Flag
EXACTLY! My television is always better when Dohring's on it. Hopefully the show will be solid enough to be worthy of him. Even in *Moonlight* his scenes were amazingly watchable.
Flag
still only ALMOST HUMAN, INTELLIGENCE & BROOKLYN 99 for me
Flag
hey, that hot chick from mad men & flashforward...not too bad, but the promo pic needs a few more hot chicks to be a CW show
Flag
SERIOUSLY, THERE ARE 2 ACTRESSES NAMED PEYTON LIST, REALLY??!!!
Flag
I don't know why, but I'm getting Mutant X vibes as I read this PReview.
Flag
Yep, with Luke Mitchell's character as Adam, the main character seems to be a mix of Brennan and Emma, Peyton List's character is probably a mix between Emma and Shalimar, and in the first episode, they get captured by the opposing association until the main character busts them out, exactly the same as the first episode of Mutant X. But I liked Mutant X, so here's hoping The Tomorrow People is equally likeable.
Flag
I'm not complaining about that possibility. I too liked Mutant X. However I also know how tragically short the series ended up lasting because people didn't like the idea and because it was on syndication. Hopefully this will last longer. It certainly sounds like it has tons of promise.
Flag
At least in the original there were actors that looked the age they were playing. I was a big fan of the British Tomorow People, and I don't foresee this being a particularly good American Adaption of a great show. I'm hoping to be surprised, but doubt I will be.
Flag
Right there with you. The original series came out of that great period of British SFTV that hit around 1978 and lasted up to the cancellation of the original DOCTOR WHO. Blake's 7, Sapphire & Steel and the original Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy TV adaptation (which is so much better than the movie that I will never mention them in the same sentence ever again).
Flag
Been watching Sapphire and Steel on youtube the past few weeks. Not sure if it ever showed on tv here in Australia. Very cool show, not under-valuing the viewer's intelligence. That seems to be the problem with a lot of shows these days, the thinking that everything needs to be spelled out to the audience.
Flag
wow I have been reviewing the other pilot previews for this coming season, and this looks pretty bad, people! Still didn't find anything new that I really look forward to see. But there must be something...!
Flag
Meh, why are 'teenagers' always in their mid twenties on TV?
Flag
It sound like a remake of Charmed with young people..almost same powers...
Flag
Jason Dohring?! I am so in!
Flag
I don't know why The CW gets so much criticism for casting good looking people, which network or television show doesn't?
Flag
I'm just tired of tv and movies acting like life ends after 25. Not to mention very unrealistic portrayal of how people really look.
Flag
Unfortunately I'm old enough to remember the original series from the 70's
Flag
FYI Luke Mitchell wasn't in "NEIGHBOURS" he was in home and away
Flag
pretty sure he had a small stint on neighbours aswell
Flag
As I said in the Sleepy Hollow pilot preview, I am a genre fan. While 'there's nothing bad about The Tomorrow People' the 'missed opportunity to add something new to the formula that's been worn thin with the abundance of superhero media' just really makes is sound disappointing.

As for 'the good thing is that for people like me, this type of superhero-origin story doesn't really get old and The Tomorrow People doesn't make any glaring mistakes' is an interesting point and while I love the superhero genre as a whole, their are some franchises, particularly the incessantly rehashed ones that I absolutely despise, so it'll be interesting to see what sort of 'superhero' show this wants to be, because while the genre has a lot of similar elements, the way they are presented matters most as to whether or not I'll enjoy it and whether or not I've 'seen this before, but you also liked it before.'

The only thing in the review that enticed my interest is this: 'as a last burst of confidence, the pilot concludes with a neat little twist that shows a bit more potential than the previous 55 minutes did.' This may just do it for be to tune into the pilot, as I'm a sucker for cliff-hangers and serialised shows with big mythologies, but it'll probably have to wait until after I've watched all the stuff I'm really excited for.
More+
Flag
Hopefully, the 'great twist' stays in the episode when it airs. If the pilot ran 55+ minutes long, it's going to have to shed nearly 15 minutes of story time to fit into the CW's format. Last time I checked, the average running time for a CW hour long show is between 40 to 45 minutes long, unless they intend to run it in a 90 minute slot, which I just don't see.
Flag
Are all these Tomorrow People supposed to (still) be going to school?? o.O
Flag
If Julie Plec is involved then you can expect a love triangle that will obsess the whole series.
Flag
I remember watching The Tomorrow People on Nickelodeon when I was a kid. I think it was a newer version of the show, or possibly just rerun episodes of the British version, but it was awesome. I can only assume this will be a watered down version with plenty of first world problems.
Flag
Nickelodeon ran the original series as well as a rebooted version sometime in the 80's.
Flag
I'm just hoping that "The Tomorrow People" aren't just the "The American People"... one of the better things about the original series was the international flare. Here's hoping they keep it.
Flag
The Tomorrow People ? More like The Beautiful People. Man, you gotta hand it to The CW. They know their pretty casts very well.
Flag
Which is why i'm kinda baffled with this cast...i don't see no pretty faces here, male or female...and i got a feeling this year is looking really blah on new dramas...the only one on this list here for me is The Blacklist and maybe Almost Human...hmmm
Flag
Well this may have to be the first CW show I actually check out, along with The 100. One can only resist so long the beauty of Robbie Amell
Flag
Super Runaway! Honestly, this feels like a "meh", not bad, not good, but since it's on The CW, not worth my time because I'm no longer a sexy teen, and it ain't Alphas.
Flag
Upvoted for your Venture Bros. reference.
Flag
It would be interesting if the Ultra turned out to be the good guys, keeping those uber-people from conquering the world.
Flag
When I was reading the gist, I was like, 'The bad guys are called Ultra? I want a show just about those guys! Forget about The Tomorrow People.'
Flag
When I hear that an actor/actress is "attractive" I understand talentless. This bias has had many many confirmations over the years, so I'll wait and see.
Flag
And it's a real shame that bias exists. Perhaps reviewers should just try to focus on acting ability rather than looks when discussing actors, but I guess it's not hard to point out when someone's really attractive, and again not so hard to assume this means talentless.
Flag
This looks so unremarkable that it's almost a guaranteed success.
Flag
It's The CW, "success" is when 800,000 Americans stick around to watch a rerun of "Oh Sit!"
Flag
Greg Berlanti and Julie Plec... I'm out! Audience should run far away from these people.
Flag
All these shows sound boring.
Flag
I miss Alphas.
Flag
Cancelling Alphas after that brilliant cliffhanger was just cruel. Damn you SyFy!
(But I still love you for Haven. Please don't cancel that show also)
Flag
I'm gonna miss Warehouse 13 too. I haven't watched Haven.
Flag
oh man Alphas, there are just some shows that could be re-appropriated on other networks, CW would have done well to get Alphas
Flag
How they didn't see that, I'll never know. It's just so obvious.
Flag
I think it will get a full season, but then be canceled.
Flag
It will probably get a second season unless it gets Cult level ratings. CW loves Julie Plec! And they renewed Beauty and The Beast and The Carrie Diaries for second seasons. I'm sure one of those is on the chopping block next year.
Flag
(Like as in canceled in May)
Flag
cant wait for this show and the hundred, hopefully this show will last unlike Robbie's other show tru jackson.

P.S glad to see Aaron Yoo again, hes really funny. i know he didnt say this but ''pop it open and give it to me Ronald'' #Disturbia
Flag
Yeah, more "pretty" not-so teenage teens.

"So yes, you've seen this before, but you also liked it before." <--- That pretty much sums it up = I'll probably like it. :)
Alphas was probably better than this show will ever be though... *sigh*

This would be 4th on my list over new shows, from how good I think they look/sound. Ravenswood's pilot hasn't been counted yet though, so TTP will be 5th.
Flag
They're *teens* with superpowers? Everyone in that picture looks at least 25. The asian guy looks like he's over 30. According to IMDB...

Robbie Amell 25
Peyton List 27
Luke Mitchell 28
Aaron Yoo 34

I really hope that they don't all play teenagers.
Flag
Staff
It's kind of unclear how old everyone is supposed to be, outside of Robbie Amell's character anyway. The others seem to know more about their powers, have had them longer, etc. and so it's possible/probable they're older.
Flag
agreed, but having america lust after teens who are actually teens is probably not good. lol.
Flag
I don't agree at all. Why would it be "not good"?

So what if some parents organization doesn't like it? And why wouldn't they? Even if they're absurdly puritan, they should be able to distinguish between TV and reality.

The almost plausible explanation I've heard of why TV shows use older actors is that there are rules about the hours that "children" are allowed to work, that make it easier to work with adults. But that still doesn't explain why they don't hire more people aged 18-20.

Maybe it's more of a convenience than anything else. If they decide to hire people that are closer to the right age, then they won't have as many actors to choose from.
Flag
Agreed. The Parents Television Council would be up in arms if a show with a cast of teenagers actually had teenagers in it smoking, drinking, having sex etc. which is probably why older actors are always cast as teenagers to avoid this problem. Anyone remember the uproar when they did this this the US cast of Skins?

Anyway, it's not necessarily a bad thing. If an actor looks young enough to be a teenager, then I'm fine with them being cast in the role.
Flag
Or it might make America a bit less neurotic.
Flag
Definitely watching this. A weekly fix of Mark Pellegrino? Hell yeah! :)
Flag
Can't say I've really enjoyed him in anything. :-( His Satan paled next to Ray Wise's, and he didn't scare me on Lost or Revolution either. I think he's being miscast.
Flag
I thought he was an excellent choice for Lost, and he was even better on Dexter. He was at least OK on Supernatural. I don't think Ray Wise would have been better there. His roles on Being Human and Revolution were less noticeable. They could have replaced him with any OK actor, and it wouldn't have changed the quality of those episodes significantly.
Flag
I thought that he was great on Being Human.
Flag
You're not alone. I think he's overrated. I find him OK, but boring, bordering on forgettable. Maybe it's because he bounces around so much, and always looks the same, he never really establishes himself in any real memorable way to me.
Flag
I gave you a thumbs up, but I have to add that he made a strong impression on me the first time I saw him in season 1 of Dexter. I thought he was great.

I don't even remember him from Grimm, Chuck and Burn Notice, and I had forgotten that he was on Person of Interest.
Flag
Alphas already fell short for this genre, in my opinion - I'll watch it, but based on what I read here, I shall get bored with it pretty soon :) But you never now, as bad as it was, I watched most of the 4400... Somehow X-Men are still unbeaten!
Flag
This looks much better than Alphas and The 4400. I expect it to be a bit worse than Heroes season 1.

I'm not that impressed by the X-men movies. I mean, they have some good actors and special effects, but the stories aren't that good. The problem is that a TV show is just a vastly superior way to tell a story. There isn't time to provide adequate motivations for characters in a movie, and the stories they tell are always structured the same way: lots of fights supported by some story, then a pause, followed by a very long and usually very boring final fight.

Honestly, I don't even remember if the X-Men movies were structured that way. I just assume that they are, since all the superhero movies I can think of are structured that way. The Wolverine is a good recent example. It was great in many ways, but it had the incredibly cliched ending, where the hero must fight someone that's similar but bigger.
Flag
It is the basic structure of a classic comic, which is what it's meant to be. You can only start watching any kind of super hero or super powered character with this in mind, cause that's what always happens. I watch much more tv than cinema movies because it allows to develop characters better, but then stories in movies are squared and have an ending that doesn't change while you are watching it. TV shows change while you watch and have stupid endings so very often, because writers don't want it to be an obvious one. Also, there is plenty of time in TV shows for characters to become grey shades of themselves in favour of a more soapy show. And this is not adecuate to every TV show. So there are disadvantages to this type of storytelling as well. X-Men movies are still my favourites for this type of mutants/superpowers groups of people. Both the comics and the movies have excellent characters (although different).

As for structure repeated on the tv shows, how about this:

1. A first season where your characters are introduced and you get an explanation on why they have those powers. Mild action and minor vilains. At the end of the season, some big revelation that will conduct your heroes/mutants to a whole new life

2. Some of the mutants/heros are good and some others are bad (always). They make teams. One of the teams is evil. The big vilain is the boss of the evil team. All the characters you know, allign with one or the other. They give you some reasons why the evil team might not be really the evil team, but that's just a red-herring, at the end, they are evil anyways.

3. Somebody finds a way to convert a regular person into one of these heroes/mutants with superpowers BUT many will have to die cause it won't work.

4. The show goes at some point and faces the regular humans against all of the superpowery-humans, either evil or good. The racist prosecutions start and all the superpowery have to join forces against this, with large discussions about killing the humans or not (cause some are not evil after all)

Been there, done that too. It's just longer than a movie, but predictibly strucutred all the same. X-Men remain unbeaten :)

More +
Flag
So this is a modern version of the show "misfits of science"? The one where Courteney Cox was in, back in 1985?
Flag
No it's a remake of The Tomorrow People a 1970's British Science fiction series that had a revival in the 1990's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tomorrow_People
Flag
Oddly enough I'm actually excited for this one. I have fond memories of watching the 90's version of The Tomorrow People on Nickelodeon. This seems to be a more mature version akin to shows like Alphas or X-Men. And I'm all for stuff like that.
Flag
I'm looking forward to this. There could be alot more CW on my watching list than there ever was before. Not sure if thats a good thing....
Flag
It's a good thing. People need to get over their 'CW-phobia' where someone thinks if they're watching The CW that they must be watching a show for teenage girls.

The fact that you're planning to watch more CW shows this season probably demonstrates that they are creating interesting/ exciting/ intriguing pilots, which is definitely not something that should be considered bad coming from a television network.
Flag
Haha, I still feel like a teenage girl, so that doesnt bother me so much, its more that they have some god-awful shows (BaTB, Gossip Girl, Hart of Dixie) that I feel like my standards may be slipping somewhat. I now think you're right, however, the CW has some really good new pilots on the go, so fair play to them.
Flag
I'm guessing you're putting The 100 on that CW watching list because besides from Tomorrow People, The 100 is the other CW show I'm really excited about.
Flag
Yup, I sure am!
Flag
Sounds so *yawn*...sorry, where was I? Oh yeah, it sounds *yawn*...whatever, you get what I'm trying to say.
Flag
I watched Gossip Girl solely for the clothes and pretty faces. Add that with superpowers, could be worth a watch.
Flag
I rate this one pretty high on my list! Am so stoked about this....though there does seem to be an inordinate amount of good looking folks in it. Lol
Flag
This is basically the only one I planned on watching (for two reasons, one, familiar enough story that has ability to tell new stories and, honestly, its timeslot, well, that's Supernatural's slot and I had no issue with other shows conflicting). Some others have intrigued me, but this was the only safe bet for me.
Flag
So its basically a Mutant X reboot.
Flag
Aaron Yoo, Jason Dohring (Veronica Mars). Julie Plec and something about Chuck... I don't ask any more questions, will have to check this out!
Flag
Luke Mitchell is much better known for his roll as Romeo Smith on Home and Away than for Neighbours. I know all the Aussie soaps seem the same but they aren't, really!
Flag
And he was on H2O! The CW is a H2O/Home&Away reunion!!
Flag
First with Claire Holt, then Phoebe Tonkin and now Luke Mitchell? At some point, TVD and Tomorrow People HAVE to crossover...
Flag
Yay for all the Aussies, despite their start is some very sub-par television dramas.
Flag
Hey! H20 isn't sub-par. Despite the fact that the show's aimed at kids, it had some good writing, decent acting and a rich mythology established from what I remember.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members