A The Tomorrow People Community
The CW (ended 2014)

The Tomorrow People S01E02: "In Too Deep"

In television, second episodes are often just retreads of the pilot. There's so much additional work that goes into getting the machine running once a series has been picked up that it's easier to simply re-state a show's big themes and concepts in Episode 2 and move on. This isn't necessarily bad a thing, it's frequently just the nature of the beast. 

For the most part, this axiom held true with The Tomorrow People's second episode. "In Too Deep" gave us more of the same: Stephen struggling to balance his different lives, the basic tension between Ultra and the Tomorrow People*, general conversations about the "dangers" of evolution, and so on. The voiceover at the end of this episode completely mirrored the voiceover from the end of the pilot. The show's world didn't really expand, and it was barely disrupted throughout. 

*While I'm on the subject, thank goodness this show didn't come out like a decade ago, because it totally would have been titled The 2Morrow People. 

However, I actually thought "In Too Deep," despite its repetition, was a better version of the story we saw last week. It wasn't a dramatic improvement, but a sizable and smart enough one that I'm a lot more confident in The Tomorrow People's possible future, even after just two episodes. The show seems to be finding its rhythms, as do the actors. Perhaps more importantly, "In Too Deep" did a really nice job of telling the same kind of story while still pushing everything forward in a useful fashion. We're basically in the same place, but the characters are more cognizant of their circumstances, and it didn't feel like the show belabored any one plot point too much. 

The best thing a show like this can do is simply put the foot down on the gas and go. Because it's a remake, The Tomorrow People comes with a whole lot of pre-existing material that Phil Klemmer, Julie Plec, and Greg Berlanti can draw from, but even if it didn't, this story—as I suggested in my review of the pilot—has a clear trajectory. It's not that we don't know where The Tomorrow People is going, it's that we don't know how or when it's going to get there. "In Too Deep" revealed that the show's creative team isn't interested in waiting around for obvious story points to happen 'organically' or 'methodically.' 

As a result, this episode spent quite a bit of time building up two primary stories that will be integral moving forward: Stephen's recognition of the horrors that Ultra brings onto the world, and TTP's understanding that they can't just sit around underground, waiting to get picked off by Jedikiah and his crew of traitor minions. There was a mirroring story from the pilot, with a new breakout who decided to use his abilities to steal because his rising medical bills had broken his single mother. That's something that Stephen can obviously relate to, which made his first experience out in the field as an Ultra agent particularly challenging. He knew what the kid was going through and naively thought that he could help within the structure of Ultra, only to almost immediately discover that OMG Uncle Jed lied and Ultra would prefer to just ice breakouts instead of helping them. And when Stephen tried to confront his uncle or cry for an out, he was stymied. There is no way out, unless Stephen is ready to sacrifice his innocent family. That's what happens when you sign a proverbial deal with the devil (which is funny, since Mark Pellegrino has already played that role). 

Of course, Stephen found away around this conundrum by hooking up with the somewhat reluctant John and Cara, who had their own little epiphanies in this episode as well. Although John previously worked at Ultra and knows the kinds of things the organization is up to, he's weirdly reluctant to fight back. I understand that he sees value in picking his battles, and that Stephen represents an annoying injection of false enthusiasm (and hope), but it was perhaps a tinge silly that John didn't want to rise up against Ultra. Unsurprisingly, Cara did the heavy lifting in that regard, via her connection with Stephen—first by giving him the watch to keep Ultra agents out of his head (which at least worked temporarily), and later by pushing John and Russell to take a stand and help the new breakout. It wasn't especially artful or innovative, but both Stephen and John realized that they're stuck in a terrible predicament and the best thing for them to do is to fight, however that might be possible. Although they're both stubborn and naive in their own way (Stephen in thinking he could either do good at Ultra or escape, John in assuming that low-scale tactics would solve anything), the events of "In Too Deep" helped them see that this fight is going to involve more head-on risk and danger than they perhaps thought. 

On a basic level, not much has changed. Stephen is still an Ultra agent and the rest of the crew is still hidden underground. But the show can move forward much quicker because it won't be taking six or seven episodes to establish that Ultra can't be trusted or that John needs to stop slinking in the shadows. Similarly, we already knew that Ultra was the show's primary threat, but "In Too Deep" reinforced that Jedikiah and company are not screwing around—and they aren't stupid. He knows that Stephen is hiding information and is almost certainly working with his newfound compatriots, but he's willing to let it all play out because there's a bigger reward coming in the future. And he's also willing to make Stephen's life as difficult as possible while they keep the facade up, which is why he killed Stephen's partner just to prove a point. Though characters are still keeping secrets from one another, there's an awareness here that everyone is playing everyone. The stakes are clear, and no one is particularly dense or naive. Multiple times in this episode, people referenced the war between Ultra and TTP. Thankfully, the main characters appear ready to fight it, and that's a good thing.

The Tomorrow People still has ways to go before it becomes totally essential viewing. The actors are still settling into their roles—Robbie Amell and Peyton List seemed a bit better this week, and Luke Mitchell was actually quite good. Furthermore, the show will have to work through some of the boilerplate plots to get to the more interesting stuff (it looks like next week, we'll be dealing with the damsel-in-distress nonsense with Cara). But generally all I ask for when it comes to second episodes is that the show doesn't take a step back or waste my time. "In Too Deep" did neither of those things and in fact, it probably bested the pilot's formula. That's a win in my book.

ULTRA NOTES

– Seriously, the voiceovers gotta go. Just, ugh. 

– It's a little awkward to watch characters mix and match outward speech and inner thought-reading from scene to scene. This episode was inconsistent in that regard; in certain instances, characters would speak aloud to the person at the other end of the telepathic line, even though no one else was in the room, and at other times, two people would sit in a room together and stare, speaking only in their minds. It was all a little silly. 

– Weirdly, I thought the show looked a bit better in this episode than it did in the pilot. There were a few more locations, some more substantive exterior shots, and a color scheme that wasn't entirely soaked in metallic blues and grays. Apparently they can do New York better in Vancouver than they can in New York. 

– The training sequence with John and Cara was about as frivolous as it gets, but at least it allowed her to get the upper hand and gave the show a chance to display some of its decent effects work.

– Two episodes in and Stephen's 'normal' life is already lame. The progression of his abilities led to a nice moment where he learned about (/remembered?) the night his father left his mother, but the little brother Luka and the friend Astrid are preeeeety non-essential. I understand why The CW wants them there, but the sooner some of them learn the truth, the better. 

– Similarly, Russell had basically nothing to do this week. It's early, but that's not a good sign. How long until he's kidnapped and tortured as well?

What'd you guys think of Episode 2? Improvement? Are you sticking with the show?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/5/2014

Season 1 : Episode 22

78 Comments
Comments (78)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Its turning out to be quite a good show. One thing is abundantly clear. In just 2 episodes, its already better than SHIELD is in 5 episodes.
Flag
im finding the powers of the superhumans a little boring. Maybe i was expecting a story geared more towards x-men and Heroes and was disappointed that they decided to stick to 3Ts and that stopping of time-space continuum. Maybe im expecting too much since i didnt watch or even bother to read bout the earlier version of The Tomorrow People. I'll watch an ep or 2 more, perhaps it'll get better.

And i have to agree with 1 of the comments here.. Stephen looks like Tom Cruise! In fact, i was thinking bout that when i watched the pilot trailer. How can anyone not notice?!?! Ok fine, he has a mole near the lips that was kinda obvious from certain angle. But really, the hair style and color, the shape of his face and his eyes all looks like a young version of Tom Cruise..
Flag
I love Luke Mitchell he is brilliant, I like the slightly dark side of his character, a leader and hero but dark it's great, I don't want cara to break his heart. I loved the training scene between John and cara it was great.
Flag
still just ok, has potential but they're still not realizing it yet, but good God, I hate the way they pronounce Ultra like they're saying Altra.. and that's a ridiculously lame name to begin with. ironic how the Aussie is the only one who pronounces it somewhat correctly. yes, the voiceovers are horrible, they try and make it seem like he's talking to somebody and then it goes to compilation scenes of everything else that's happening and it suddenly turns into him reading off some sort of checklist.
and let's not pretend the fight scene was anything more than CW trying to get John's shirt off asap. that's nothing new for CW, but what's weird about it this time is this show is more geared towards guys... so...
Flag
this is such a frustrating show. i find myself screaming at the screen like a horror movie where te main characters keep doing such stupid things!
Flag
Love John...he seems the wise one of them all...
Stephen finally made his choice...took him two episodes...
still i am giving it a four episode thing...before i decide to continue watching...
Flag
Intermixing of telepathy is really confusing, definitely.
Also definitely sticking with the show, looks like a good prospect.
John is definitely and early standout favourite character.
See you next week TTP :)
Flag
Being apart of a certain family knowing my views count if you haven't watched this yet give it a shot 2 episodes in and its the best tv show I have seen in a while... Btw its better than Marvel Agent of the shield
Flag
I'm liking the show, so far. I, too, was bothered by the mix of talking vs telepathy. Do one or the other or explain the difference. But, the mix and match was klunky.

I don't understand -- at all -- why Stephen's mom needs to be kept in the dark on his powers. She thinks he's crazy. She's stressed. She's worried he's turning out like his father. She thinks his father was crazy.

WHY wouldn't Stephen want just show his powers to her, tell her to keep it a secret, and put her fears to rest? Makes no sense to me.

I didn't see where the D-chip helped Stephen at all. The moment he needed it, it was discovered. Seems it would have been better to hide it on his person, somewhere.

Continuity error? The room with the special, black walls are supposed to block their powers, yet telepathy happened in their twice -- once with his partner, during training, and once when being "de-briefed".

The idea of blocking the mind reading by focusing on other things was stupid. Sure, it could keep them from getting to other stuff, but the mind reader would be able to see exactly what was being focused on and know for sure she was being blocked. Stupid.

I personally think the writers would have been better to NOT show Jed's true nature so early. Some of the best shows over the years have kept mystery around the bad guys. Let Stephen have concerns but no proof and figure it out over time. Oh well.

Biggest thing I don't get is why TTP STAYED in their hideout at all? They have no way of knowing if Stephen will intentionally or unintentionally give away their location. STUPID to not go find some other place to hide, just in case. Probably not even in the same city. Idiots.

Finally, I find the lack of curiosity and concern by Jed and Ultra about Stephen's unheard of powers. Not even a mention. He can use his powers where it's not supposed to be possible. He can stop (or drastically show time) and no one at Ultra even mentions it? No effort to understand it or control it? WHAAA?

Nitpicks, aside, I'm enjoying the show and will continue to watch.
More+
Flag
Voiceovers were annoying, and repetitive.
Ammell's teeth weren't as blindingly white this ep, but his face was still weirdly red, like he'd had a bad sunburn, or a Samantha-type chemical peel. It was distracting.
Ammell is an awful actor, and that Cara chick isnt much better.
I dunno if its just me, but Cara looks like she's pushing 40, way to old to be the centre of a potential love triangle with John and Stephen.
I don't like the fact that they're pushing the love triangle already, and also that it has the potential to become a square with the addition of lovesick Astrid. That scene in the school was cringey as fook.
The storyline has the potential to get really interesting, if they can get away from the "breakout of the week" stuff, but there's also the potential for all that CW teen angst and teen hookup crap to get in the way of the awesome superhuman stuff.
Will keep watching for now, at least give it the 4 episode test.
Flag
" Cara looks like she's pushing 40"
is that the smell of bitterness and resentment in the air?
Flag
Lol, nope, I'm still in my twenties. Just an observation.
Flag
A 40-year-old woman looks like Teen Wolf's mom, or wishes that she would. Kelly Hu (China White) is past 40 and looks better, but she has to be a vampire or something.
Flag
Cara doesnt look 40 to me, more like 33 and usually high school kids dont dig chicks that age. Not really sure what the show is trying to establish here.
Flag
He's 25. She's 27. Both look a couple of years older than their actual ages I think. So I would have guessed that she's 2-4 years older than him. So yes, she's much too old. ;)

The actual age difference is a bit less than two years.

I agree about everything else.
Flag
SOOO MUCH ANGST...

So why did Alphas get cancelled again? Oh right it didn't have a cast of teen/twenties pretty people being being stupid...

1. Steve takes forever to realize his uncle is evil... and not subtly evil... This show is just going to beat you in the face with the fact. THIS PERSON IS EVIL THEY ARE THE BAD GUYS WHO ARE BAD AND MUCH BE STOPPED BECAUSE THEY ARE BAD!!! Oh and there are even badder people!

2. If the watch wasn't bugged I would be very disappointed... WHY WOULD YOU HAND THE WATCH OVER... HOW WOULD THEY STOP YOU FROM LEAVING.

3. How are these people ever late for anything... they can literally teleport anywhere anytime... speaking of teleporting... how is falling off a building a threat for people that can teleport...

4. "PROVE WE ARE THE SAME!!!" Oh I don't know, the fact we can both teleport and stuff might be a good sign...

Again... I cannot believe we got this and Alphas got cancelled.
Flag
I thought this was slightly worse than the pilot. Not sure why.

I enjoyed watching it, but I can't think of any particular detail that I thought was good, other than Peyton List. I guess I just like superpowers and pretty girls. So all of my specific comments in this post are going to be negative.

For as long as I can remember, I have disliked the trope where the villain kills one of the people working for him just to show us how evil he is. It's not even necessary to make him that evil. Wouldn't it be more interesting if he was more like a normal human being.

I hate the term "tomorrow people". I get a bit irritated every time they use it. It's worse than "mutants", "X-men", "Alphas", "abnormals", "meta-humans", "jumpers", "benders", and probably every other term I've heard for similar groups of people.

I don't like the name "Ultra" either. The whole organization doesn't make sense to me. Actually, the whole "shadow war" doesn't make sense to me. If "breakouts" are this frequent, then they would need kill teams in every major city in the USA, and many mobile kill teams traveling from town to town. Of course, unless every single country on the planet is doing the same thing, the effort is pointless. There's no way to keep a global population of thousands of "tomorrow people" (and thousands of people hired to kill them) a secret, and no way to prevent their numbers from increasing rapidly. Have you seen how pretty they are? They'd spend half their time making tomorrow babies.

There's also a very simple and obvious way to fight this organization: Just go public. They have proof. People aren't going to tolerate an ongoing genocide in their own country, but they're going to pay billions for D-chips. There has to be a greedy tomorrow person somewhere who realizes that.

I didn't like the D-chip. The explanation is that it's made of the special telepathy-impenetrable material. Then how is it sufficient to wear it on your wrist? Wouldn't you need to make a helmet and wear it on your head? Why call it a "chip" at all? Oh, because it is a chip. So it actually does something?! What does it do, and why does it have to be made of the special material?

Why not make an effort to come up with something less magical, and more sciencey? How about a chip that you put under your scalp that sends out a jamming signal when someone tries to read you. You could say that it doesn't require a power source, because it's powered by the signal from the person who tries to read your mind. (This should sound somewhat plausible to those of us who are familiar with RFIDs).

I don't think I like the computer. Why is it even there? It doesn't have anything to do with superpowers.

It was funny how Cara was all like "You're totally my boyfriend" with John, and later with Stephen, she was all "What?! No, of course he's not my boyfriend. How can you possibly think that?". It's not hard to guess where they're going with that, since this is a CW show that isn't trying at all to stay away from the most overused cliches.

Stephen has learned to control his powers well enough to show it off to Astrid. He should just show it to her without warning. Don't start with "I'm going to levitate this ball". Just do it, and then talk about it. And please don't use the cliche that you're not telling her because you want to protect her.

Her name is Astrid? A light-skinned African-American woman named Astrid, with a pretty face and a big head of hair...hm...that sounds familiar somehow. Why do I want to call her by a different name each time?

His name is Stephen? I wonder how long it will be until the first time I call him Stephen Amell by mistake.

More+
Flag
I just keep wondering why TV has this so soon after Alphas got canned. That show was actually developing to the point where goodies & bad eggs coulda been switched around, plus the actors were much better on that than "Tomorrow People" & after three seasons most had become fairly credible in what are pretty inane roles.

By the end of Alphas I was really hoping old Civil War man would take down asshat psychiatrist without empathy bloke. It's all comic book garbage unworthy of memory storage space, but from what I remember 'the alphas' had much in common with "The Tomorrow People' except their back story & resulting characters had a lot more oomph to them.

IMO by aiming the emergence of 'tomorrowism' at adolescent breakouts this show is basically playing for the same market as the innumerable vampire/werewolf shows chock full of fey young men with too much make-up - so I won't be watching it.

Heroes got old fast, alphas took the wrong side & they are all just pale imitations of The X-Men (sorry) People, (which also took the wrong side but that's another looong digression), this show has a steep climb, handicapped by it's targeting of high school students, before it approaches either of those heavily flawed shows, so I reckon it won't make the 4 episode test, more like 1, 2, 7.25
Watched the first 2, drop in on E07 to confirm earlier judgement & in all likelihood flick off after 10 minutes.
More+
Flag
I am growing to like this show more and more. I think it is way better than over-rated SHIELD which episode 3 is still sitting there and I have not watch it yet.

This show make me think of Nikita. Both are on CW. When I first watch Nikita mainly because of Maggie Q, I was quite apprehensive if they have anything interestingly new to watch. Same with this show. Nikita proved to be a winner and hooked me til the end.

Now I hoped this show will do the same.

Peyton List is still very cool !
Flag
See, I'm not irked by the rehashing - like Cory said, it's the nature of the beast. I really shouldn't be surprised about the things that did irk me, because it's a CW show, meaning it was like Smallville - enjoyable if you turn off a bunch of the critical thinking required for stuff...

1.) I'll give the CW a pass on the "can't kill, even in self-defense" rule, because that's established canon from the 70's and the 90's, and was an attempt to say that a truly evolved species would be able to survive despite being unable to kill. However, you can't base it on evolution, as the nature of evolution would make it rather difficult for a species to survive without being able to extinguish a threat while there is still a threat to its survival. At the same time, why is blatant theft that harms dozens of people not subject to the evolutionary limits? Why was making a hostage situation not making a mess for the guy breaking out?

2.) Pursuant to the "can't kill ever" motif, this week's individual who was breaking out seemed to be able to continue pushing Steven until he was going to fall over the ledge. If he's broken out enough to be able to telekinetically push someone over a ledge, why didn't the "can't kill" rule come into play with him? Conversely, why couldn't a Tomorrow Person 'shoot to maim', clearly aiming for the foot or shoulder? When they were at the kid's house, the other agent made a call for a dozen guys carrying shotguns and having a shoot-to-kill order - getting someone else to pull the trigger is acceptable? The plot device's closest thing to consistency seems to be "can't shoot a gun", which bothers me...and hopes that George Takei will drop by for a quick fencing lesson,

3.) When Cara and John first catch up with this week's subject (whose name clearly escapes me), they say "we're not going to hurt you" and "we're not going to report you to the cops". That's wonderful that they want to build trust, but there's any number of issues with this method. First, he just robbed a bank. If they're all trying to not be hunted and gain establishment in the world, then why didn't they at least say that he had to give the money back? It could be done anonymously; left on the counter in the middle of the night and all that; he didn't have to get caught...but you won't win over any public sympathy by letting a bank robber join the team and keep the spoils of his nefarious victory.

4.) On the heels of that, The Tomorrow People directly state that they pay for themselves based on stealing everything. This is giving Jedikiah a leg to stand on...is there really no more creative means of doing things in a positive manner? A quick example: get half a dozen of them together and make a construction crew; telepathically lifting large iron beams or huge amounts of gravel would be 20 minutes of work and earn them plenty of money AND camaraderie amongst construction companies. Just stealing everything they need/want helps Jedikiah prove that they are menaces to society and furthers their requirement for isolation.

5.) The whole chase situation seemed utterly unnecessary. I mean seriously, if you can teleport, why not go the extra fifteen feet and get yourself in front of the guy?

6.) Somehow, Steven "forgot" his plans with Astrid and his promise to his mom. Yes, we all forget...but if you knew you were going to your after school job once class let out, it seems like atrocious time management to even make those promises in the first place. By the end of the episode, he's got the time management thing down to a science and is able to make everyone happy? It's not like he lost his job despite him being shown cooking dinner and on a study date with his not-girlfriend...

7.) why would you wear a watch on your wrist if it's supposed to be the thing that protects you and everyone you care about? Does it not work if it's on your upper arm, where it can be obstructed from plain sight? While we're at it, inhibiting powers seems to be a completely magical thing - a watch protects the wearer, a building inhibits everyone except Neo...I mean Steven, and apparently there are assorted buildings around the city that inhibit as well, but it never occurs to Cara and John to move operations there instead of a subway station? There's been no consistency with what stops powers, and while we're at it, wouldn't that work both ways and allow Tomorrow People to kill in those areas?

Again, I know that critical thinking is not a job requirement for a CW script writer, but it seems to be a set of rules whose only consistency is "when its convenient for the plot".
More+
Flag
If the problems are significant enough that you need to 'turn off your brain' to enjoy the story, rather than acknowledging and discussing them critically, while still being able to emphasize the good points of the narrative, then its likely a piece that isn't worth your time.
Flag
Mark Pellegrino is still the best thing about this show. And, in the very small amount of screen time he had, Aaron Yoo was awesome. Both of these guys need lots more screen time...
And yes the voice overs gotta go. So annoying...
Flag
I think the show is too dramatic too. At the scene in that building when Stephen is chasing Kurt and he says: "I understand what you're going through, trying to help your mom out with the medical bills..."
I was hoping Kurt would be like: "Actually... I just like manipulating people with my powers and robbing banks *shrug*"
Lol but that's just me.
Flag
idk it still feels like Mark Pellegrino is under used i mean he could play such a bad-ass villain but feels like his character has no story development what so ever
Flag
Still hanging in here until it devolves into something like Terranova (I hope not)...
I thought it felt better than the pilot...
A nice fight scene is never too much ;-) LOL
Flag
I like the show, as long as I don't think about it too much... like why would Ultra be so determined to wipe out people who are literally incapable of killing others? Or why wouldn't the government be interested in using these people with special powers as spies or something?

Also, the audio and video has been out of sync for both episodes that have aired so far. I wonder if this is happening to anyone else? Maybe it's a DirecTV thing with this one show. The commercials aren't out of sync, and the few minutes of Arrow I watched weren't out of sync.
Flag
If the problems are significant enough that you need to turn off your brain to enjoy the story, rather than acknowledging and discussing them critically, while still being able to emphasize the good points of the narrative, then its likely a piece that isn't worth your time.
Flag
Are you going to copy and paste that reply to everyone who criticizes the show?
Flag
I'm not saying the show necessarily does. An awareness of quality can work for or against a particular story.
Flag
It seems a bit insulting to call it 'mindless', doesn't it? I'm of the opinion that any series that expects to be taken seriously should be obliged. Even then, the audience should always exercise critical thought, lest they fall victim to dangerous ideas packaged in appealing stimulus.
Flag
Okay... I'll keep an eye out for the dangerous ideas. I'm sure this show is packed full of them.
Flag
Nope. It's not about 'criticizing' anyway. It's about 'shutting off your brain' to avoid having to criticize it.
Flag
To avoid having to criticize it? Is there some rule that I have to give this show serious consideration... more than it deserves? Are you defensive about this show for some reason? You seem a bit snobby about mindless entertainment. Not everything is worth picking apart.

I will decide for myself if this show is worth my time.
Flag
He looks like Tom Cruise.
Flag
but with a distracting mole..
Flag
yes thank you, i am not the only one
Flag
The cheese is strong with this one. I get that we have to suspend a lot of disbelief for these types of shows but this one is starting to feel more and more like The Cape.

Alphas was a far better show than this and it wasn't particularly strong.

Flag
I'm still not sure what to think about this one, but so far I like it a lot better than Alphas.
Flag
I think the show needs a bit of humor, a few one liners to make it more fun. It feels over dramatic for me.
Flag
I watched the premier last night and this episode today and I'm hooked. Of course there are things I'm not too sure about (sure they're underground, but is it really possible that NO ONE has stumbled upon their group?) but then those things are outweighed by other things (namely: Mark Pellegrino). Ohh and who played the Ultra agent who ended up in the body bag? He was familiar but I couldn't place him...And this kind of thing drives me batty because I'm usually an encyclopedia of actors' names and roles (which is fun but, let's face it, really pretty useless).
Flag
I liked it. I don't feel there's any point in me nitpicking the CWness of it all & the rest of the stupidness scattered throughout the show...I just had fun watching it & that's enough for me. I can forsee it rocking fairly well 3-6 more eps down the road
Flag
Robbie Amell's lip mole is distracting. I like that it makes a viewer go "see, even pretty people have imperfections" but it's in a position where you constantly have your eye drawn to it.

Improved over the pilot, but it still has a way to go. I do like Peyton List even if she isn't the best actress. Still, I stay for the Pelligrino. He's so good at being a slimy bad guy.

The SFX stuff is actually pretty decent for being a CW show. Hell, the stuff on Agents of SHIELD look worse and I'm SURE they have a bigger budget. It's also nice that, with these powers, they can end up in locations most shows never utilize (like rooftops) so it may still be Vancouver, but not where we usually see it. (Thank God they didn't go the Smallville route and just make the fakest-looking roof set I can remember)

As much as Stephen has done some pretty idiotic things, the show is smart to acknowledge Stephen, at this point, is pretty naive and WILL make dumb choices. I hope he learns soon, though, as he can't be THAT stupid at his age to not know some of this stuff, powers or no.
More+
Flag
Your note pondering on why it’s great that the show did not come out “a decade ago” and thus not having a name as “2morrow people” is interesting — mainly, as this show it actually a remake of a British children’s show called The Tomorrow People produced by Thames Television for the ITV Network, the series first ran between 1973 and 1979 in the UK :)

References
Flag
heh! Cory's aware of the original show & was simply cracking a joke. In last weeks review, he invited people who are familiar with the original to post their thoughts comparing it with the new
Flag
Thanks. I have a tendency to read about these TV shows in great detail noting all the production notes on Wikipedia. This is the first time that I noticed something which sounds “slightly off”. Sounds like you are a very avid participant on this site. Nice meeting you… even if randomly :)
Flag
Staff
I'm wondering if that's just spam?
Flag
It's not a spam. I know that having links in comments may potentially be considered a spam — but if you know me (which understandably you don’t as I used to only read these super detailed description on episodes) I feel that it is important to leave references if I want to state something “factual.”*

that Wikipedia does not always contain facts is another story.

:)
Flag
I'd be inclined to treat anyone who references wikipedia as a spammer.
Flag
I'm not clicking on any link just to be sure.
Flag
maybe, but I was giving the benefit of doubt just in case :)
Flag
I guess I just didn't get it at all in the first episode, but Astrid is supposed to be his best friend, not his girlfriend? That's really weird and unnecessary. I don't know of many highschool-aged dudes who have no male friends and just one female best friend.

The platonic nature of their friendship is at complete odds with the way in which they interact as well. If they were just friends, why would she have been so upset with him in the first episode when he told her about his powers or in this episode when he stood her up for their... um... completely platonic hangout session? I dunno. If two teens are hanging out on the bed like that, there's damn well gonna be some sexual tension.

I guess I just can't understand this decision because Astrid is a worse character than either an actual love interest or male best friend character might be. It's great that on a show about people with super powers, the thing that stands out to me as unrealistic is the relationship between the teen characters...
Flag
Staff
They're just friends, yeah. But clearly it's headed down that path. The pilot tried to point out that he had alienated everyone else. So he was in a larger crew of friends, but only Astrid stuck it out. Because she wants to see him naked.
Flag
If they actually stick with the 'evolution' thing and leave out the 'Aliens did it' part of original series I'm nominating the writers for the 'most stupid evolution plot line since that one voyager episode with the salamander sex' award.

Evolution does not bloody work like the show claims. It's random mutations that breed true through advantage, not 'oh hundreds of people unrelated show up at the same time'.

Also? I can buy the telepathy/etc showing up as an evolutionary advantage. The not killing? evolution is a natural process, nature is not nice, nature is a cold bloody violent place.

I can put up with TV writers getting the name of our species wrong (human beings are homo sapiens sapiens not just homo sapiens, so the 'Tomorrow People' should be homo sapiens superior), even if they are writing dialogue for an 'evolutionary biologist' but I simply can not stomach such utter bollocks.
Flag
Staff
WAIT. It was ALIENS in the original series?
Flag
I stand by what I said last week, the voiceovers suck, and Luke Mitchell is obviously going to be the best actor here (apart from Pellegrino obvs, but he doesn't even have to try...)
Flag
Staff
Luke Mitchell was really good in this episode. He'll clearly be the standout.
Flag
"...but the little brother Luka and the friend Astrid are preeeeety non-essential. I understand why The CW wants them there, but the sooner some of them learn the truth, the better." <<<>>> This.

I'm betting that Astrid learns the truth first. Okay, more like I'm hoping she does for my own selfish reasons. I'm so not here for that stupid love triangle that they're heading towards.

Pretty good ep overall. I'm sticking with this. Amell Wednesdays ftw ^_^
Flag
Staff
The brother probably gets killed.
Flag
Totally AGREE with the voiceover thing. They can't think of a more imaginative way to tell us stuff, you now, without actually telling us??
Flag
Staff
I AM GOING TO LIVE MY LIFE, AND STUFF.
Flag
"The Tomorrow People still has ways to go before it becomes totally essential viewing"

I don't think the day will ever come where TTP will become "essential viewing". It is however, well on it's way to being a "I don't HAVE to watch but I WANT to watch" show, not because of it's excellence but because of it's entertainment value. It's The Walking Dead, but hopefully with better character development and fewer gaping plot holes...though I wouldn't hold your breath on the latter.

"Two episodes in and Stephen's 'normal' life is already lame. Little brother Luka and the friend Astrid are preeeeety non-essential. The sooner some of them learn the truth, the better"

Without Luka and Astrid (and his mother), there's no leverage against Stephen to stay at Ultra and given his "day job", shouldn't his home life at this point be a little "lame"? I can't recall too many series where clearly secondary characters got much development time in the early going. It doesn't give them carte blanche to just keep them as scene filler indefinitely, but I'm going to expect episodes focusing in on Jedikiah, John, Cara and Mom and their "origin stories" before we start getting into the role players.

As it stands, Luka and Astrid are doing what I think they're supposed to do...provide a little normalcy in the life of a kid who hasn't had nor should expect much "normal"
More+
Flag
Staff
Yeah, I understand why they exist. But they're not useful characters yet, and the show doesn't seem that interested in improving them in the future.
Flag
Based on 2 episodes? Seems a little early to reach that conclusion.

Looking at similar themed/styled shows, I think you'd be hard pressed to find too many where any significant time was spent developing purely complementary characters...especially ones where the "rules" of the universe need to be established.

You've mentioned Vampire Diaries and Arrow as "similar" CW/WB series. I'd throw Smallville, Buffy and Angel in the same category as well. Caroline, Felicity, Chloe, Pete, Wesley, Cordillia, Xander, Willow...in the early going, in the early going, all we knew of any of these eventually pivotal supporting characters is that they were friends or otherwise connected to the lead characters.

You may very well be right. They might never get properly developed or otherwise wind up in the pile of secondary characters that never get embraced by the audience. Once the main characters and arcs are fully introduced, then I'll expect to see a little more depth, but I'll give TTP a half dozen or so episodes before I start drawing conclusions...but maybe that's just me :)
Flag
The thing that bugged me was when he teetering on the edge of the building and he was freaking out... ahem don't ya have teleportation powers? Oooh I'm falling it, if only there was a way I could transport myself to a safe location....
Flag
"There's so much additional work that goes into getting the machine running once a series has been picked up that it's easier to simply re-state a show's big themes and concepts in Episode 2 and move on."

Well, there's also the fact that the pilot is often filmed months before the second episode. The writers, producers, and actors have to repeat it all for themselves just to refresh their memory.

For instance, the Sleepy Hollow pilot filmed in March 2013. Then they waited for Fox to give the go-ahead. Then they started filming the second episode in July. They moved to a different location, got rid of half the crew and brought in the same folks, and so on. It almost always creates a different look, a somewhat different production feel, and a certain amount of rehashing.
Flag
Staff
Well, yeah. You just described what I did, only in more detail.
Flag
"brought in the same folks" = meant "kept half the same folks"
Flag
this ep was good but doesnt the mother know he works at the uncle's job if she's worried about where he is? Jedekiah said someone is over him....dont tell me the big reveal will be his brother and Stephen's father?

Will the show do a mutant of the week they must help, hope not, is it a coincidence that the breakout had no father and was on meds? is that to say that most of the kids like Stephen are like that? prob not but just speculating. Good show so far
Flag
Totally agree with you on the voiceovers. They're too much. Especially that 3 T's spiel about their powers. He said it once already in the intro and then again not 5 minutes later. How short do they think our attention spans are?

I also hope they define the extent and limitations of their powers more. It's just hard to get a grasp of what their abilities are. We see Stephen have difficulty holding up a weight right in front of him but fixing a teenage boy's mess without even looking is no problem. It just seems inconsistent to me. With regards to teleportation, does it have a range? What's the farthest they can jump? Do they have to know where they're landing or can they just do a blind jump and not get stuck in a wall? Same goes with telepathy. How near do they have to get to access someones mind? How does Ultra inhibit TTP's powers? How can an alloy/metal/circuitry(?) possibly prevent them from accessing their abilities. What are the limitations of the can't kill trait? Can they push someone off a building with telekenesis like the breakout attempted to do in this episode? Can they control another person thru telekinesis and kill in their stead? I wish some of these get answered soon. A 'superhero' show is no fun if the writers don't set any ground rules.
More+
Flag
Staff
Yeah. There's a short-hand already that probably needs to be filled out.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members