A The Tomorrow People Community
The CW (ended 2014)

The Tomorrow People S01E22: "Son of Man"

Hey there, Tomorrow People people! It's been a while since I dropped in on the freshman CW drama, and as things go with these plot-heavy shows, a whole lotta stuff has happened in the interim. Stephen's dad Roger finally came back to life! Jedikiah went rogue, and kind of nuts! Stephen got with his partner, and then she tried to suicide bomb the Founder! John lost his powers! There's A MACHINE that does stuff! And most importantly, John and Astrid made out!

Over the second half of the season, The Tomorrow People managed to work out some of its more egregious kinks—it dropped all pretense of Stephen and Astrid going to school, removed the 'family secrets' drama, redrew Uncle Jed as an uneasy ally as opposed to a full-blown villain, let John and Astrid kiss—but it also struggled with some of the things that have bogged it down since jump street. Though he improved a bit, Stephen is still a bit of a bore at the center of this crazy world, and perhaps more disappointing, the show sort of lost the interesting parts of Cara's character as she took on a full leadership role within the underground Tomorrow Peepz. Of the primary trio, only John has been consistently compelling. One out of three isn't an especially good average. 

The constant twists and turns in the plot have generally compensated for deficiencies of character, but only to a point. Once you get to the end of the season, where character arcs and big plot points are meant to converge, we're supposed to be shocked, or thrilled, or angry by things that happen to certain characters. If the path to those moments is muddy, the results aren't going be as effective. That's pretty much where The Tomorrow People found itself before "Son of Man," and the episode didn't do much to change my perspective. Quite a bit happened in a very short period of time and there's something of a new equilibrium heading into a possible second season, but I couldn't bring myself to really care about much of it.

But all the stuff! Let's pour one out for Roger, who was never long for this world, even after the show spent more than a dozen episodes concentrating on his power, his missing body, his delinquency as a dad, what have you. Jeffrey Pierce was fine as the noble elder Jameson, particularly in the scenes with Mark Pellegrino's Jedikiah. Their final moments together—including Roger convincing Jed to shoot him in hopes of stopping the deadly machine that would freeze all humanity in a bubble to create a Tomorrow People refuge—were pretty strong as far as brother-to-brother tear-jerkers go. The show frustratingly used Roger as a plot device a few too many times throughout the season, but he had to go so that Stephen could rise up and be the chosen one who everyone keeps talking about. 

And did he ever rise up! Despite my lack of connection to or real interest in these characters, the mid-episode siege on Ultra headquarters by Stephen, Cara, Russell, and their two human buddies John and Astrid was fairly well-developed, plotted, and directed. The show has found a nice sweet spot with the visual representation of the Tomorrow People's abilities, even if it mostly results in the actors swinging their arms around while air-y effects do the rest of the work. The choreography and editing of Stephen and Cara fighting the juiced-up kill squad on the ground while John picked them off with a sniper rifle from the roof gave the scene some heft, despite the fact that the entire ordeal was happening midday in downtown New York and no one else was on or near the street. 

The same can be said for the fight between Stephen and the Founder, which went on much longer than these types of throwdowns tend to last on The CW. There's a physicality to the fighting on this show that makes scenes feel like brawls and not just people smacking into one another really quickly (hello, The Vampire Diaries). Again, I don't think the show did an especially great job of making us care about what would happen if the machine had actually frozen humans in place, other than the fact that John and Astrid are humans, but the scrum at least justified the kind of pain Stephen was willing to go suffer to save humanity. He's a character who's constantly been trapped between two worlds, even as those worlds crashed together, but he's also always going to choose to save people. And that's fine! Even though, as Cara said later, he's the lamest chosen one ever, he is pretty solid at the gig.

Weirdly, it seemed like this finale really wanted to zoom through the primary plot points—first so it could get to all the hugging and kissing between the core four characters, and then so it could set up some stories for a possible second season. The scenes in the former category were as good as they can be on The Tomorrow People, with the John and Astrid stuff working much more successfully than the Cara and Stephen stuff, simply because Luke Mitchell is far and away the best thing on the show, and there's a levity to his performance as John when the character is with Astrid that's really charming. In an expansion of his powers, Stephen turned back time to save Cara's life, which was cool enough. The show hums a little more when it hones in on the interactions between these four people, so those moments felt mostly earned, if somewhat empty. 

But boy, did "Son of Man" hustle to set up new stories. The need to provide a road map for the future is a real one and there's a precedent at the network to take big swings in season finales. The problem is that the last 10 minutes of the episode really brought back the show's Matrix-y lineage, complete with Stephen's miraculous save of Cara, a bunch of new Tomorrow People tracking down Stephen to pay their respects to the chosen one, and John being reprogrammed and re-powered by Jedikiah as a sort of Mr. Smith type. Although I don't really need to see more of John the Conflicted Killer or the uneasy romance between Stephen and Cara, it was interesting to see how much The Tomorrow People pushed these new stories. Perhaps it was an attempt to convince the The CW that there's more story here?

Regardless, there definitely IS more story here. The Tomorrow People never turned the corner in the way The Vampire Diaries or Arrow did in their respective first seasons, but I'm curious to see whether removing some of the elements that were weighing things down—Roger and the Founder most notably—would actually help the show progress to that higher level. 

NOTES

– The show really dropped the ball on Stephen's mother Marla after it was revealed she was also a homo superior. She still mostly sat around and looked worried and/or cried. Sarah Clarke definitely deserves more than that, even at this point in her career.

– So Stephen tossed the Founder through the machine's portal, but we didn't see him die. He definitely returns at some point in a prospective second season, correct?

– How creepy was it that Stephen was excited to set in the chair previously occupied by the Founder and Jedikiah, being that it was also the chair that was destroyed by his now-dead flame's suicide bombing? People grieve in their own ways, but come on, man. 

– Stephen also claimed that Cara would never believe him if he explained how he saved her life. Um, she's a superhuman who knows you're the chosen one. I think she'd get it.

What did you folks think of the finale? Do you want another season of The Tomorrow People?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/5/2014

Season 1 : Episode 22

164 Comments
Comments (164)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Not the best show on TV but I have definitely enjoyed watching it. However, while the finale was quite entertaining to watch I think it was a mess plot wise. I have several issues with it:

1) Perhaps I accidentally skipped an episode but did Cara and John ever officially break up before this episode?? I don't think they did so I found it really weird that they were actively seeking out Astrid / Stephen romantically in front of each other and neither seemed that bothered by it. It really frustrated me. I guess you could say I'm a Cara and John shipper but I'm not totally against Astrid and John, I just find Stephen and Cara boring together.

2) I really liked Hilary's character and I feel like her death served no purpose other than her own redemption. I would understand if it had spurred Stephen on and inspired him to fight but he didn't seem that bothered by it, it came up once where he said he blamed himself but then as mentioned above he was excited to sit in the chair which had damage from the explosion that killed her?? Not even a thought about her and an episode or two later he is hooking up with Cara?? The couple storylines felt very rushed to me and as I said I didn't see any end to Cara and John's relationship??

3) Russell, a few episodes prior was going to become a superhero to save people, do good deeds and have his life mean something. He put himself in harms way multiple times to protect Cara and John and then he sells them out and he's willing to let the whole human race die to save his own skin. It doesn't make sense??

4) who even were the rebel tomorrow people, never seen any of them before but apparently they were there the whole time and Russell was willing to betray his close friends to follow them.

As a side note, Luke Mitchell / John was by far the best part of this show, he should have been the main character, his acting was much better than the other main characters and his storylines were more compelling. I hope I see him on another show soon.

Overall, a good show, just wish the finale had been better thought out and it got a second season to answer the questions the finale left.
More+
Flag
MaKe a 2nd season please dont leave us all in the dust of unanswered questions
Flag
Yeah, please make a second season, I'll like to watch it to the end. You can't end it there.
Flag
Make a second season. There has to be a second season you can't end a series with unanswered questions. Give the people what they want make a second.
Flag
So I'm really pissed about how this ended, it all went back to the start and it is really annoying. Someone explain why Jed couldn't have just shut off the machine and Roger and him couldn't have destroyed it together, like wtf?

What happened to that Annex serum killing basically everyone injected with it, only John and Killian survived, now everyone can take it and live. Side note to that, being able to kill doesn't mean you give up your humanity, hell killing doesn't even necessarily mean you give up your humanity, sometimes it is for the best.

Also to the best of my knowledge the machine freezes humans in time, it doesn't kill them. The Founder would need to get an army to go door to door to kill them all. That is the dumbest evil plan ever.

I did love the "you killed my father line" I was expecting "prepare to die" but alas no such luck.

As far as all the new break out showing up, I mean come on, this is not the 101 Dalmatians, these people need their own places to live. No one is hunting them anymore why do they need to live together under some weird leadership.

I did not like how forgiving everyone was, considering Russell is the reason Roger is dead, yet everyone acts like it is all ok 2 weeks later, really. And we don't know where Marla or Luka are, like come on.

Don't get me started on the John thing. I was like ok fine Jed is giving him back his powers that is cute and fatherly. Than it turns so quickly into this twisted thing. Obviously if they got a second season John would have gotten his memories back in the first 2-4 episodes. But I'm really annoyed they back tracked on Jedikiah's development. John and Jedikiah's relationship in particular is what has gotten me through this show, since they were the only interesting characters. I was looking forward to them working things out and kinda teaming up.

Yes eventually Jed would probably have had to die if they kept him good because it would be boring if he just helped out and became a background character to the good guys, but it could have been a great emotional moment. I've waited so long for John to call him dad and I would have loved to see that moment. The way things ended it wouldn't happen for a long time, if ever.

And why oh why couldn't they just let Cara die, I hate her character. Grrr this was a terrible ending. Overall the show was pretty blah probably 6/6.5 but I think a second season could have greatly improved it, or being even worse not sure. It is a pity we won't find out.
More+
Flag
Hello, I am a person who despite my personal feelings towards most consumer products in any sense usually won't go out of my way to give review. Unless i'm asked during or after, i don't seek to review things (normally). I have an issue with this show ending. It's much more interesting, enticing and creative then most/all current television shows. If this show really does fail, I ask a somewhat detailed reason, why? Reviews are decently high. Hulu, cable/satellite and other forms of broadcasting this show to the public are all positive. The cast, story, special effects, writers, directors, costume design, the fact it's nyc/subway and city and i want to say producers? Really tho, generally everything in this show has what it takes to be a real hit!
Again if nothing more then the show going 10+ seasons, I would appreciate knowing why this show "failed".
Thanks...
Regards - -Soleo
Flag
Yes I would like a second series I've enjoyed watching the show
Flag
Renew the season!
Flag
Wow that's a rather harsh review. At least you managed to find a few points threw out the season that you DID like. Personally I love the show. I am stunned at the poor ratings, for me it was the best show on tv to date. I would love to see season 2 and I think it would gain a lot of new viewers/ fans. It seems to me that it's a love it or hate it kind of show. Those of us that enjoy it are completely hooked and others like you are really critical of every little thing. I am not by any stretch the only one that loves the tomorrow people so much. I have yet to see any show or movie that could not be picked apart if you really look for it. I understand it is your job to "criticize" shows, but come on.
Flag
Stephen's cry after Cara's death was one of the best cries on TV. Probably had some "Why frakking cancel us ?" too. Kudos to Robbie Amell.

OMG, Peyton List ! In that outfit. Best outfit seen on TV, I dunno why but I immediately thought of Marvel's Psylocke. Dudes at marvel should really consider her for a role, she's a veteran on playing a super-powered girl now :D
Flag
Jedekiah's character arc was like a mash-up of three different stories. After all that time spent on redeeming himself, he was a baddy after all? Eh?

Had that been a season finale, we'd simply be back at the start.

I'm just relieved this show has been cancelled,
Flag
Okay I think as a show as a whole it was okay but what really made me love it was John and Jedikiah I would of liked more interaction with those two. And I didn't really like stephen I mean he had moments but I really didn't care about him. So I hope there's a second season just because I want to see John and Jedikiah working together.
Flag
I agree John was the best thing about that show, especially his relationship with Jedikiah. I never really liked Stephen or Cara, but I really stopped liking Cara at all about half way through, she was just really annoying. I don't know really what went wrong with this show, some parts and concepts were good, but overall the big bad of the story sucked.
Flag
Well, I loved the entire season! They blew it on Stephens mother, didn't use the frozen dad well but aside from that I loved it!!!
Flag
I would like another season or two of the Tomorrow People, if they work out some more kinks. Stephen and Cara do not work, but John and Astrid could (not for a while, but) . I did like Stephen and Hillary.

Marla was thrown to the curb after her big reveal. I thought that they might be able to show more of the dynamic of how 2 paranormals and Luka live together. or Marla could be useful in some way.

No body no death. The Founder can always be resurrected if they need a new villain later.

They should have TK'd the chair out the window.

Cara already knows he can stop time now he can rewind a few seconds also.

Did Jed TAKE Irene's powers or just borrow them? I do not understand how he took them. He did not give her that power taking retrovirus or whatever. I know he took a genetic sample, and made himself a homo superior, but won't her powers regenerate or were they ever gone and Jed just shared them for a while.

I want more Irene in season 2. She was cute.

More+
Flag
I know I don't think Irene's powers were "taken," I think he took some of her genes to give himself the temporary boost and it probably hurt like hell, but I would think she still has her powers. I am curious as to why John lost his memories, I figured Jed used that memory screw toy that the Founder used on Cassie, but that would really piss me off because I love the father son relationship between him and John. It was the best part of the show. Regardless I'm sure John would have gotten his memories back right away in season 2. The one thing that this giving powers to others thing made me question is how they created a cure in the first place, they didn't even know what they were targeting. I feel like the cure should wear off eventually too that would have been cool, a little X-men 3 but still. The whole cure thing was dumb, the transference of powers was terrible. I suppose I didn't really like the show, but I did really want to.
Flag
Thought I mostly like TTP season one, I did not really liked the finale.

Many stories felt rushed so they could close them as most probably there is no second season. I did not like the new stories. Jed character is the most inconsistent. I guess he is more real but this is a show about people with powers so his inconsistency makes him stand out poorly even though it might be more realistic.

One minute he was ready to sacrifice and be good, the other he is erasing John memories to make him a killer.

As with Cory, I liked John the best and if there was a second season, I do not want to see him as a killer who lost his memories. I rather see him with Astrid.

Again unless Robbie Amell acting improved tremendously, I doubt I can see him as the new leader.

So I guess I am okay if there is no second season even though I did like most of season one. I will definitely missed Peyton List and Luke Mitchell,Madeleine Mantock and Aaron Yoo. I hope I see them on TV soon if this does not get renewed.
More+
Flag
I'm not liking the reset with Jedekiah as bad guy after he started batting for the good side. It felt as though it wiped out everything that had happened previously, bringing the story back to square one.
Flag
I know I feel like they did that just as a back up bad guy in case they got a second season, but honestly how long did they know they weren't getting one? Did they mean for it to end this way or were they caught off guard. I really wish networks would let shows know in advance so they could end things properly, or at the very least during the off season have a mini series / tv movie that wraps things up.
Flag
Oh, but the Founder's plan made little sense. It seemed like there weren't even enough mutants, I mean homo superiors, to clean all the corpses out of NY once humans would be eliminated.

Flag
The final few episodes of the season were actually pretty exciting – I guess it must be a strain to write about a show you clearly don't care about? Your review feels that way, while this is a silly but entertaining show once you get into it and I really, really hope (against hope) it gets a second season.
For instance the stations darling Arrow never interested me like that at all.
Flag
With the number of high quality, high concept, sometimes mentally draining shows currently on TV (or recently passed that need to be caught up on), I'm strangely okay with the fluff that is The Tomorrow People. It's the kind of brain candy I need to counterbalance Game of Thrones, True Detective, Sons of Anarchy, Hannibal, etc.

Even though they've both pretty vanilla, maybe because they're both vanilla, I like Stephen and Cara...but I've like the idea of John and Astrid since the "going away party" at Stephens before he went all Flatliners. Which makes the whole Jed turning on a dime and re-embracing his evil side with universal soldier John all the more disappointing. In part because it's ridiculous, but mostly because that'll put an end to he and Astrid for the foreseeable future.

Most disappointing...Russell. C'mon man!

"Weirdly, it seemed like this finale really wanted to zoom through the primary plot points"

I've gotta presume that's because the writers are fully aware of their predicament. It's possible there could be a massive CW house cleaning this off season, between TTP, Beauty & the Beast, Hart of Dixie, Star Crossed and The 100. They've gotta know that, at best, two of those shows are getting dropped...mostly likely three, but maybe even four. So, I appreciate them bringing to "conclusion" most of the stories brought up this season.

"So Stephen tossed the Founder through the machine's portal, but we didn't see him die. He definitely returns at some point in a prospective second season, correct?"

I don't know about next season, but eventually when they introduce Stephen's opposite, a 2nd generation kid who can stop time, I'm sure that'll be his mission.
More+
Flag
I agree with everything you said about Stephen & Cara and John & Astrid :( John and Astrid were too awesome to be wasted on Stephen or Cara.
Flag
They actually explained that Ultra had cordoned off a several block radius around their HQ.
Flag
Even if this returns for 2nd season I'm dropping this. This show was mediocre at best.
Flag
This show unfortunately never really figured out what it wanted to be and that was written all over this finale. Don't necessarily regret watching, but I certainly wouldn't continue watching - particularly if they just reboot Jedikiah to be bad and extend the stupid love square
Flag
This was a decent season finale in my opinion.But man i feel so underwhelmed from this show.It had such a great potential in the start,and i really don't like to judge until a show is given at least a season to try and tell a cohesive story,and to flesh out the characters,but i don't think this show did that in the season that was given.Mark Pellegrino and Luke Mitchell(along with their scenes and backstory) i think were the highlights in the season and were the two constant really good things about this show,but that was it.Was not impressed by Robbie Amell at all,he as a lead didn't carry the show well enough,and was disappointed by Peyton List stiff acting along with some of the other support cast.The special effect were good enough,can't complain there(at least for a show that is on the CW),but the storytelling was just all over the place.Like i said the show had too much potential but just didn't lived up to it.I honestly don't care if the show gets a second season(because i will not watch it),but i hope,for the sake of the fans that it will,at least to give itself a chance to be better and to satisfy(as much as it can) the ever growing need that the audience has for a great sci-fi show.
More+
Flag
OH, no. John is wearing suit now. So, he must be a bad guy, because on the CW if you wear a suit you're most likely a villain. This is not CBS, you know...

But I like the new John. He seemed less conflicted, more career-oriented. Now he seems to have a clear focus and direction in his life. And his relation with Jed improved 100%!

So, Jedikiah was bad, then sort of good, then nuts, then bad. The Founder was bad, then pretending to be good, then bad again, then THE WORST! What a roller coaster. I wonder what ride they have planned for season 2.

As someone said below, Stephen pulled a "Superman ex machina." Oh, great...

It must have been the New York City Police Department its day off... Nobody showed up to work.

I think whenever a CW show moves toward one of those grandiose finales the CW absolutely has no budget to use in the story, it's always problematic, because I already know the villain's plans will be foiled.

I agree with the reviewer. Dropping the high school pretense was one of the best things that could've happened.

But still I would (or will) watch the second season. This show is 100% vampire-free and that's a great thing. I wish The Tomorrow People and The 100 would be renewed. Does one of them necessarily have to go?
More+
Flag
I really hope this show is canceled. Seriously. That was one of the worst season finales I've ever seen (which makes sense, considering the penultimate episode was just as bad).

I mean, I've always thought the show's writing was sub-par... but man, did they go full on terrible in the last two episodes. They straight out slaughtered a ton of character development set up earlier in the season, and just had characters basically doing whatever to move the plot along.

Hopefully the show is canceled and the actors involved don't miss out on any future opportunities (because of how bad this show was, since sometimes that follows actors)... since it was mostly the writing at fault.
Flag
Didn't it already get cancelled? I thought I read that somewhere on here.

BTW, is anybody else having major, major problems with this site in the last couple of days?
Flag
NM - I guess not. I just did a google search, and seriable.com said that it hasn't been cancelled or renewed yet.

I stopped watching around the mid-season, though. Just lost interest, and let episodes go until they started expiring from my Hulu queue, which led to me thinking, "oh well."
Flag
Well if it's canceled now the actors better hope they can get in some of that mid season shows like it's already late for the other roles :S
Flag
And almost forgot the regular rants...

1) The founder's plan was stupid. I am sorry, but I absolutely hate it when shows give you bad guys that do these type of doomsday plans. Leaving aside the question of why on earth did normal humans work for him knowing this is what he'd do means their death -

What did he hope to accomplish? The tomorrow people are what? 1% of the population? 10% of the population at best? Can you imagine what would happen if 90% of the world just instantly died?
That would mean no workers in factories, no people working in power plants, no more hollywood movies or tv, no restaurants etc

He is essentially returning the world to the stoneage. Even if he becomes the supreme leader of such a world, who would want to rule the stoneage?

2) Jed having his powers only temporary was a huge let down for me. He would have been great as a morphed human. Would have opened up so much of his relationship with John... But sadly they chose to remove any of his personality that was developed this season and turn him into stupid cliche villain again.

3) So the tomorrow people just took over Ultra? Seriously?
After the explosions and what not, fighting in the street, shoot outs and what not the police didn't come to check it out? And even if they didn't, are they paying the electric bills? property taxes? This is absurd they can't stay there without anyone noticing.

4) Stephen is doing time travel? Seriously? Why?!?!?!?
More+
Flag
Haha I know I would have loved if Jed could keep his powers, and they didn't screw with his character arc, I wanted him to remain a good guy, because really he always was, it was all a big plan to save Roger and stop the Founder for good.
I would have liked it if humans couldn't keep the powers, but Jed could because he has some latent genes or something, and the attempted power transference triggered them.
I also think the cure is bullshit because how can you make a cure if you don't know what to target. They didn't know what genes carried the homo superior thing until the 2nd last episode. Thus I think the cure should have been nixed OR it should have worn off over time. I mean what about the cure made it work, how did it irreparably damage those genes?
Also I hate time travel in general so I'm on board with that being a really stupid thing to add to the mix.
The entire Founder plot was dumb. The machine freezes time, it doesn't kill humans. They would have had to go door to door to kill everyone. This show just was all over the place. It couldn't decide who was good or bad, what the end game was, or even simply who should be with who. My vote was for John and Astrid. Loved Stephen and Hillary. And Cara should have just died.
More +
Flag
You're thinking too much... (LOL) Yes, Jed with powers would be a great supervillain.
Flag
While this show would hardly win prizes for best show ever I think it was one of the better off from the new shows. Certinly better than the snoozefest of the 100 or that awful Star Crossed.

I actually do hope they'll give it a second season, there's plenty of what to do on this show and think they deserve a chance.
Flag
I like this show, can't wait for the next season.
I don't think the founder will be back. I think it will focus more on trying to get John remember. Also there are now two parties left: Nathalie and her gang and Jedikiahs new spy-organisation.
Will they go work for them using their abilities or will they fight him again?
A part of me wants them to start working for him and do all kind of secret missions to better the world, but that would probably be too boring.
Flag
That would be funny and kinda awesome. Like Jed was made to look evil at the end of this season, but in fact his secret agency are gonna be superheroes. The only down side will be that when John gets his memory back he would be temporarily pissed and they would have to work on their relationship again.
But ultimately they would re-bond, John would realize that sometimes you have to kill people to save more people, and John would help Jed willingly.
Stephen and Cara would never want to join because Jed's group is government funded and they don't trust it, also they don't think you should ever kill, and they are unwilling to take the Annex serum.
So after something dramatic (in which Jed dies and leaves John in charge), Stephen's group and John's group are fighting for the same thing (helping people humans and homo superiors) but doing things differently.
Eventually John would be betrayed by the government and realize they were just using him as a weapon and he would rejoin Cara and Stephen's group. They would overcome the government agency and blah blah blah, I am not a tv network person or writer. But that could have been cool.
More +
Flag
I like Cara's black and white jacket. It was the best part of the episode, maybe the entire series.

Flag
Speaking of outfits I love how different Astrid's outfits are when she is around John vs Stephen.
Flag
Me too! The outfit looked great on her.
Flag
LOL that is very true! It kinda was the show stealer. I do not think I will be picking this up for season two. It just didn't get there and it was touch and go that I stuck with it in the first place. John was the only interesting character and they hit the reset switch on him...so predictable what will happen next. As others said, Cara should have stayed dead. They should have allowed him to rewind time but still miss...powers growing and all. (Anyone think he looked really evil after the chair?) I also thought, why is Marla so powerless when she is super power? Ugh. If they worked as a family they could have saved the world...but that show also didn't last past a season. Not gonna miss it one bit.
Flag
The finale was pretty good I liked how they tied up the loose ends while opening new doors for other things next season (if it's renewed) I hope it is , the only thing I don't want to see in season 2 is Nathalie I can't stand her every time she was on my screen I would literally groan out loud
Flag
I think they should have just ended it without the John being brain-washed (or having amnesia). There was no reason to introduce that as a cliff hanger because I'm fairly certain this was the series finale and the show won't be getting a second season.

I really thought someone was actually going to be dead in the end. I was glad when Cara was shot and died and I was very annoyed that she didn't remain that way. I really think one of the main trio needed to die in the end (Stephen, John & Cara) and I wanted it to be Cara to go.

I actaully thought this show was was better than The Originals. The Vampire Diaries has pretty much jumped the shark so I would have preferred the CW to renew this show instead. I don't think The Tomorrow People could have lasted for years - but it had story left to tell (TVD ran out of that in Season 3).
Flag
It's funny cause I was actually betting on Russel to die.
Flag
I was keeping my fingers crossed he would.
Flag
TBH I enjoy watching the show when I watch it but I don't think about it the rest of the week at all so I don't really care if it gets a second season or not but if there is I'd probably watch it unless there is something else on at that time that I'd rather watch.
Flag
the founder is dead went thru portal along with the machine which was in pieces if the portal did not rip him into shreds the machine did!! I agree with the writers dropping the ball with Marla(Sarah Clarke) now I thought that Luka was breaking out!! they kinda stopped that quickly!! I really did not like Natalie she came out of nowhere and turn out to be a major threat!! should have kept Hilary alive!! now with ARROW, THE ORIGINALS SUPERNATURAL THE VAMPIRE DIARIES AND REIGN being renewed already I don't think that TTP will get renewed but it should as should STAR-CROSSED but probably wont either!! HART OF DIXIE BEAUTY AND THE BEAST AND 100 ARE GONERS!!!
Flag
While I would much rather they renew this show, I'm thinking more likely that the 100 survives and this show canceled.

Wish it was the other way around.
Flag
the 100 will not be renewed!!
Flag
The Founder is not actually dead, but in the same limbo place Roger was all this time.So it is possible to see him again at some time n the future if the writers decide to bring him back.
Flag
matter of opinion but the founder is dead!! pretty sure only Roger and Stephen can pull that trick of being in limbo!!
Flag
I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, except that when there is a will (from the writers) there is a way,
Flag
No body = not really dead in hollywood terms.
Remember these are the briliant minds that told us Indy could survive a nuclear explosion by hiding in a fridge...
Flag
Indiana Jones

I was refering to that awful fourth movie
Flag
INDY I DON'T GET IT
Flag
The Tomorrow People has always been about Jedikia and John. I've watched all the episodes and I'm kind of sad.
Sad because the show hasn't heard critics that said that Stephen had as much charisma as an oyster.
Sad because the sow kept being around Stephen and his trouble and sorry but Robbie Amell is still a bad actor. A less worse, sure. But still a bad one.
Sad because in John, Jedikia and Russel, the showrunner had interesting, if not original characters. Sad that those characters were not used in their best potential.
Am I expecting a second season ? No ; but I'd love to see John and Jedikia again.
Flag
I would like to see another season of TTP's not because the 1st one was great but because I think it could get better and more interesting.
Season one was entertaining enough for me but had a lot of flaws. If it is not renewed I won't be too sad but I prefer it would.

The Founder seemed to be a smart guy but something bothering me. I don't know the percentage of tomorrow peoples on earth but if he kill all human how the things will work? Who will grows food, make clothes, works in electrical central? All the things people need to survive!!!
Flag
Yep, I just said the same above. The founder essentially returned people into the stoneage. Who would want to rule such a thing?

Not to mention, without electricity (which will run out without people operating machines to keep it...) wouldn't the machine eventually power down anyway?
Flag
Finally saw Kara age, she is 24 and was having sex with a 17 year old high school kid. How is this ok on the CW.
Flag
they said Stephen was 18, regardless it is legal.
Flag
He started as a 17 and I think he turned 18 only after this episode.
Flag
Yah I feel like they should stop trying to make high school happen. It doesn't work with these types of shows unless you commit to it and the primary set is in school. They should just make them university students even first years, it would help with all the relationship stuff they try to throw in there too.
Flag
Hmm well that sucks, cause I really liked John and Astrid together and I think John is like 27 at least :-S
Flag
True. The fact is this whole high-school teenager pretense didn't make a lick of sense considering the character's behavior and was, for all intends and purposes, dropped by the end of the show. Just one of the things that didn't work in TTP.
Flag
Stephen looks like he's 30, maybe she forgot he was 17. ;)
Flag
Lol
Flag
Ouch... The guy is 26 in real life :(
Flag
Yeah I know, he looks fine, nothing wrong with the age 30, it's the human prime age IMO, experience and still youthful.. In general it can be hard to say what people's age are from from age 26-40, so 30 is a good guess. ;)

My point was, he does not look 17 haha. ;)
Flag
Yeah, I hear you. It's funny because I recently read an interview with him and he said that he originally was auditioned for the role of John and that he thought he was too young to play him...
Flag
Well, in some episode, Kara commented Stephen is 18. Does that make it any better? I also pointed out before that Stephen goes to bars in a school night and people give him booze to drink, and everyone is OK with that. But as the reviewer said, it's good they dropped the high-school pretense. Not even the writers were taking it seriously. I think problably it was something the producers imposed: the hero must be in high school. The writers decided to make him an adult anyway.
Flag
I remember her saying you are 18, but he also said that they have been doing this a year and they had pretty early on. Though I know they never showed him having a birthday.
Flag
No time for birthdays when you're saving the world!
Flag
Or more likely, it was something in the original show and they decided to keep it instead of discarding it.
Flag
Well, in the original show, Stephen was 16. He was initially meek, and learned how to be a Tomorrow Person mostly from John and Carol. He was never the protagonist, rather the new guy who was learning. In this new version, the made him an adult except in age.
Flag
Because there is a double standard when it comes to teenage boys.
I'm not saying it's okay, just that it exists.

This is why tv shows about highschool constantly give us female teachers banging their students but never male teachers banging female students - and in the few cases they did show male teachers do that they would be typed as violent rapists and would eventually physically force themselves on students.
Flag
But on the other hand you have vampires that are hundreds of years old that are getting with teenage girls and everyone is ok with that also.
Flag
If you're referring to TVD, I think Elena was 18 when she first slept with Stefan. Making it legal. It doesn't matter if he is 20 or 120.

On the other hand, her little brother was a lot younger when he was doing her best friend... take of it what you will.
Flag
You are clearly forgetting the part where she sleeps with his brother. Which I might add, happened IRL too between Dobrev & Somerhaulder.
And if its just age of consent ur worried about, Jeremy's just a year younger than Elena.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Buffy is even a weirder exception to point out as clearly everyone were NOT okay with that.
Flag
I was thinking more of Buffy actually but lots of these vampire shows imply that it's ok.
Flag
Well, the age of consent in New York is 17 so it's legal.
Flag
He's a lucky bastard.
Flag
One word. Delena.
Flag
PS. Not saying its ok.
Flag
If you're talking about vampires, modern romantic vampires are usually pedophiles.
Flag
I don't mind the show being cancelled if I can see Luke Mitchell and Mark Pelligrino as leads on any other shows as they are my favorite characters on this show and they really stood out compared to the rest. All in all , the tomorrow people might not be the best series out there but it was okay and seeing it go before it takes a chance to fix its mistakes might be disappointing .
But still I dont like the way the last couple of episodes went , with jed going crazy then good then crazy then good then crazy (pick a side dude!!!) . Or john losing his powers, Russell betraying his friends , Rodger dying and stephen's mum running away . And all the tomorrow people secondary characters that appear as plot devices then disappear . Just seems like very bad writing and underdeveloped plots. I hope if they get renewed that they focus on all those weaknesses and fix them.
Flag
Let s get down to it.
The series got a slow start but in the final episode i become a "fan" at least enjoyed it quite a lot.
It is an under rated show . Has a fan i liked the finale except the las minute.
I know there will not be a second season (99% sure) and if i m sad to let go a few characters i learnt to like , i m glad.
I know they had to introduce a possible second season but i really hate the easy way out they' ve taken.
Flag
its on cw . they have some new shows lined up for next season . so some shows have to go. i think TTP's chance at renewal r slim . but i still hope it would be back. better kill TVD or reign to make room for flash and others.
Flag
Reign isn't bad.
I agree with TVD, it just isn't what it used to be.
They should cut (and I'm going to get so much hate for this) supernatural it's been on way to long already.
Flag
I don't know about other people, but I sure as heck ain't going to be sending hate your way when you speak absolute truth.

Supernatural really should have ended years ago. They are constantly recycling the same stupid plot over and over again and it's a pain to watch.
And that awful spinoff... dear lord...
Flag
TVD and Reign both have orders for next season, so they're not going anywhere just yet.
Flag
TVD is never dying.
Flag
And even if it did, we'd only find out that the show had a doppleganger all along.
Flag
"Do you want another season of The Tomorrow People?"

- Frankly, my dear, I do not give a damn.
Flag
But you do give a damn to respond to one of the questions. ;-)

Good finale, but the whole Jedikiah going back and forth between good and bad is getting old!! Is probably getting canceled, but stranger things have happened.
Flag
Hahaha, this show. It's one of these so-bad-that-it's-fun-again TV series! xD
Flag
I would like to see a season 2 of this show. They improved a lot over the course of the season and feel it would become even better with season 2. Let me talk about the highs and lows of the show though.

John is obviously the best character on the show. Luke Mitchell is phenomenal and should have been the lead in this show. As a guy I won't talk about his looks lol. His acting is great, his action scenes were great, his plot was fantastic and he just seemed like such a down to earth cool guy. Like someone you would kill to be friends with. He was a loyal and deep character and shined even brighter everytime he shared a scene with Mark Pelligrino.

Jedikiah is the second best character on the show. Mark Pelligrino is one of the best genre actors on TV now and this is another one of his many multi-layered fascinating characters. He had such insane complexity to his character and his awesome relationships with John and Roger elevated the show. His own personal character arc has been very fun to watch and the show rightly paired its two best characters for the not so sure season 2.

Honestly if the show had John as the lead and Stephen as a co-star it would have been superbly better. John had the drama with Jedikiah. His guilt over killing Roger and working for Ultra. The fact that he was special in the sense that he was the only Tomorrow Person with the ability to kill which in of itself is further drama. I mean John had the makings of an awesome main character who was relatable and had a destiny complex to live up to. Yet they decided to go with a character whose destiny came less from trauma and guilt and more from his father was 'god'. A character who made stupid decision after stupid decision. A character whose loyalties were flip flopping weekly. I mean Stephen is not a bad character in my opinion, but John was better in everyway and this show NEEDED their best upfront if they wanted to compete for a second season on a network that doesn't have many slots to spare these days. I wouldn't mind seeing Stephen grow into main character status as he began to understand his role and responsibilities, but to start off with him was a grave mistake IMO.

The biggest negatives of the show stemmed from the Tomorrow People themselves. I don't know about the rest of you, but I held no sympathy for their plight after awhile. We got to know so few of them and they usually disappeared randomly in a few episodes anyways. Towards the end they became so antiHuman that there was no way in hell I wanted them to live a good life. Don't care if you are persecuted or not. And on top of that they weren't even being persecuted by Humans. It was their own people!!! When John was kicked out of leadership and Cara took over the show went crazy with their usage of these people. You had the random black guy and girl come in challenging John's leadership. The whole time I'm screaming, "WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE!? I'VE NEVER SEEN YOU BEFORE!!" Then those characters disappeared like two episodes later. Then towards the end they get that ridiculous blonde chick to manipulate RUSSEL OF ALL PEOPLE to turn against his friends in one of the stupidest plot points for the show. Who was this blonde chick!? Why was she randomly inserted into the plot now with no build up? It was laziness from the writers and it is sad because we've seen them churn out good plots.

Russel's own character arc at the end was so terrible I wanted him dead. Russel would never have turned on his friends. He is more loyal than anyone! Even if he was in danger of dying he would have thrown himself on the fire to save his friends. As evidenced when he allowed Ultra to inject him first so as to be the guinea pig to save the others. It was so out of character and ridiculous. And honestly it is why John was my favorite! He seemed so disinterested in the plights of the Tomorrow People after awhile and I am sure it is because he realized there are so few that even deserve saving. Most are anarchistic punks who probably would want to see the world burn. Why be their hero if they don't want you? They kicked John out for trying to be their hero. They betrayed Roger for trying to be their hero. They rarely trusted Stephen to be their hero. Only reason why Cara worked out as their leader was because she was so cold and didn't care to be a hero. She just wanted to survive the week.

Season 2 has the potential to be twice as good because they are changing key issues with the show. John and Jed are tied together in a plot as they should be and look to be forming their own show pretty much lol. Stephen actually made some good choices and is now the hero he should have been long ago. Cara isn't cold anymore. And the Tomorrow People are finally accepting a hero who doesn't just put them first, but also wants to save everyone. Here's to a season 2! You know you want to CW. Get rid of Beauty and the Beast and Starcrossed(which isn't bad, but is weaker than every other show) and keep this show around for one more season.
More+
Flag
You know - 2 or 3 episodes ago, I was really hoping this show would get renewed, while knowing that it probably wouldn't be. But after the finale, I found myself sort of - not caring? I don't know, I thought I cared about these characters, but after the frenetic plot stuff in the last 15 minutes or so, I kind of didn't care anymore. I love John, but I found myself not caring that he'd been turned into a robot. The Russell storyline seemed really rushed. I'd like to be more into Cara and Stephen but I'm just not.

With the way things were wrapping up so quickly, I had thought, going into the finale - and even more so about 30 minutes into the finale - that the show was trying to wrap things up nicely in case they were cancelled. But then all that crazy stuff they set up in the last few minutes - it was just too much. Initially, when the machine froze Astrid and John in time, I thought "Oh! This is how it ends, and if they get a Season 2, the dilemma will be trying to unfreeze them!" And that would have been cool. Even wrapping things up and just ending on that lingering unease Cara was feeling, after being shot/not-shot - that would have been cool too, and much subtler. But everything they threw in there - I don't know. I guess, thanks, TTP, for making me not care anymore in case you do get cancelled?

If it gets renewed, I will probably continue to watch. I just find myself not caring anymore if it gets renewed or not.
More+
Flag
I guess I have mixed feelings about Season 2, I know we are going to have a time jump (and probably just get Stephen to Robbie Ammell's actual age) with the idea that everything has changed and people aren't where you would expect them to be (like I wouldn't be surprised if Season 2 opens and John and Jedidiah were successful in turning Cara and Russell but maybe we find that one of them is a double agent). I also liked the idea that seem to be evident is that your powers do seem to grow as you get older, like John could effectively block all telepaths and Cara was a very strong telepath, Marla's telekinesis was very strong and the idea might be interesting that when Stephen got his jump start, he is even further advanced than he should be.

But, I don't know, I guess I won't 100% miss it if it goes. I do expect the guy who plays John to very quickly land either on an established show or be the real lead in a new show.
Flag
John please don't ever get back with Cara ! She's so anoying. And I'm really loking forward Season 2, the show deserves it because they were able to include more interesting stories than we were used to since the begginig.
Flag
I'm looking forward to a renewal, I definitely think they can improve upon this first season which wasn't all that bad - at least it was entertaining to watch and did a nice job with effects.

I'm sure the Founder is still alive, this is the CW after all; no one is ever truly dead... even if they go to hell, heaven, or purgatory.

Definitely agree about the seat scene at the end, that was super creepy and weird.
Flag
Honestly, in my opinion this show sucks. I just can't understand how people could make blunders of such mega proportions. Right from the beginning the whole idea of indefinitely staying in some underground refuge is downright silly. Training? whats your defense against a man with a gun? Isn't it obvious that if your enemy is capable of killing, he or she obviously has an edge over you? then why the hell don't you arm as well and go all out and take the bastard out.

Frankly, the whole "good person, not killing stuff" is a lame excuse for a sound strategy in what appears to be a struggle for survival. I wonder what would happen in reality if we happen to have our lives in the hands of such incompetent strategists (all bug-eyed and concerned more about unreasonable sentiments and excess emotionalism - if that's a word). I hope this show is buried so deep it doesn't see the light of day anymore.
Flag
Ok, you don't like it, then why the fuck are you still whining after 22 episodes? You must be one of those masochists that love whining about anything. Rational, intelligent people don't waste time with bad tv shows.
Flag
I assume you consider yourself "rational and intelligent", so you should be know of instances where a show starts off badly but ends up being great. That, my "rational and intelligent" friend, was the only reason i kept watching it. I really hoped there would be some twist that will make it worthwhile.... too bad, it was in vain and by the way, simply affirming how smart you are doesn't make you any more or any less, so at least try talking like a civilized person, not an educated douchebag.
Flag
The problem is, they got stuck with the source material. There are so many dumb things about this show that they actually adressed in the pilot with nod of "we didn't make this up" as in "it was like that on the original show"

If they go against the source material you'll have some people whining about it and if they don't, they get stuck with their crap. It's a catch 22.

Yes, the whole not killing thing was incredibly stupid. Not only did it not make sense, but who cares? You can't kill? Use tranq guns, tasers, etc

The most obvious issue was the episode where they showed John can kill and he was the only one who could take the bad guy cause he could shoot him.
Why? Couldn't anyone else just inject him with the power stealing syrum? Or put the power canceling cuffs on him?
Flag
My post seemed to have got misplaced from before. This is a better place for it anyway.

The show isn't perfect maybe a little less than others but it has been one of the few I do watch and looked forward to each week. Suffice to say they could end the series and it wouldn't be left with too much hanging. I would like to see the show get renewed though for sure. ( if it has already I am unaware ) Assuming it does get renewed. I don't think we will see the founder again at all. Maybe in flashbacks or if the show takes a " Back to the Future rout ". Or in some time traveling episodes... Who know but he will be talked about an mentioned for sure. Obviosly if the show gets bicked up a great deal will focus on restoring John's memory and getting him back to normal as normal goes for them. It was hinted that cara knows something happned to her. I hope they push her into trying to figure that out befor Steven reviles that "Oh yea by the way I can reverse time now. Anyway that's enough speculation and guessing since the show may not get a 2nd season but I do hope so. Like I said It wasn't perfect ( no show is ) but I still found it to be one of the better ones.
More+
Flag
Jedekiahs 360. I mean he was a bad guy the good guy then last 2 minutes bad guy again. I mean really? UNBELIEVABLE. Generally an amazing show just somethings I would have liked. I want to air it out:
1. The Founder was a great character and the way he went down reminded me Angel/Marcus Hamilton fight. Steven could have taken him. Right there. They should have made it more epic.

2. They threw away Alexa Vega's character. I think she was a keeper for season 2. Cara is bland.

3. Really a superman ex deus machina? Cara should have gone down came back as Jed's supersoldier. I would love to see Steven's face but I guess the writers are going for brother against brother while maintaining a triangle.

Flag
I hope it gets renewed!! I would be really happy!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members