A The Tomorrow People Community
The CW (ended 2014)

The Tomorrow People S01E01: "Pilot"

We tend to give pilots that seem innovative or fresh a whole lot of credit for stepping outside the box. It's fair to say that most of us recognize that collectively, the broadcast networks aren't taking a lot of risks these days, and even when they do, it's not necessarily easy to come up with a fresh story or a concept. So what do we do with pilots or shows that are almost entirely derivative, born from a dozen different sources and inspirations, many of which are obviously visible on the surface? We can't immediately disregard them and ignore the possibility that something more interesting could come down the pike, right? 

That's my big question about The CW's adaptation of The Tomorrow People, a property that has existed in multiple iterations over in the U.K. for four decades. I'm not at all familiar with the original show or its various follow-ups, but even if we pretend that Phil Klemmer, Greg Berlanti, and Julie Plec found created this thing after digging through the corners of their subconscious, The Tomorrow People is very clearly indebted to decades of pop culture storytelling. It's The Matrix meets X-Men meets Heroes meets Every Other TV Show or Movie About a Singular Savior Hero-Type. There is—and I'm using this word correctly—literally nothing remotely new about this show. The pilot sped through every expected note, beat by beat, never straying from the kind of 'hero ignoring the call to action' nonsense you've seen in almost every big-budget sci-fi story since Star Wars (don't you kind of wish George Lucas didn't read so much Joseph Campbell?). Few characters really stood out, and the relationships are already so clearly defined and on track to go exactly where you expect them to. Basically, The Tomorrow People is the last 40 years of mainstream pop culture storytelling thrown into a blender, with no ice, and puréed to its most liquid form. 

I mean really, what was missing here? We met Stephen Jameson (Robbie Amell, seemingly learning how to act on a scene-by-scene basis) as he described all of his 'weird' problems like headaches, waking up naked next to his hot neighbors, and losing his popular friends. There was voiceover, slow-motion walking through the hallways of high school, and a whole lot of hard staring at the camera that was supposed to look like distress. Stephen's home life is predictably troubled; his deadbeat father took off and left his saint of a mother and goofball brother at home, dying under a stack of medical bills. Worst of all, Stephen's hearing a voice in his head—a voice that sounds quite a bit like a pretty girl. 

We saw Stephen get thrown into the underground world of Homo-Superiors, the group of evolutionary superstars he shares various DNA enhancements with. There were multiple bouts of exposition—Here's what we can do! You're special! I'm not special, I'm just in "high school"—and the stakes were clearly, immediately established. Stephen initially resisted his place in the new group, only to be captured, only to then discover that he's probably the most special one of them all. He's Neo, and his dad was like the first Neo, or something. The pilot's big reveal, that Mark Pellegrino's Jedikiah is both the big bad and Stephen's uncle, was a nice touch, but also not really that surprising. Now, Stephen is working to take down the evil Ultra from the inside while learning his new powers, and while attending high school, apparently.

Speaking of high school, I simply don't understand why The Tomorrow People has to take place in that setting. Amell certainly looks much older than high school age, even for TV, and it doesn't add anything to the story. I'm sure the show's producers would say stuff about having the lead character split between these two worlds and 'grounding' him in reality and blah blah blah, but it's stupid. It's okay for TV shows to represent young people who aren't in high school. They can be twentysomethings and not in school. It's fine. Most shows rarely know what to do with characters once they go to college, often giving up on the angle sooner rather than later. So why not just cut all that nonsense out from the jump? He's a metahuman; It doesn't make him relatable when we see him carrying an AP Calculus book in the hallway once every four weeks. 

Anyway, even if you didn't watch the pilot episode, you could imagine where this story is headed. Stephen is going to get in over his head with Ultra, probably eventually start to believe that Uncle Jed has some good points, only to be burned badly; he'll likely lose his mother, brother, or token black friend in the process. His relationship with Cara will create tension between her and John, the leader of the Tomorrow People who will grow increasingly jealous of Stephen's innate Neo-ness. Aaron Yoo's fellow Tomorrow Person Russell will probably have nothing to do other than crack wise about how crazy their situations have gotten. Stephen's dad isn't dead, he's actually part of a much larger project involving Homo-Superiors and probably the government. It's all right there; you could write five years' worth of Tomorrow People spec scripts... tomorrow.

But! I still didn't hate it. Not only is there something comforting about a pilot that almost shamefully embraces its paint-by-numbers construction, there's also a sense that The Tomorrow People burned through all the set-up nonsense in the pilot so that it could get to (presumably, or perhaps hopefully) more interesting stories sooner rather than later. All three members of the show's primary creative team have worked on shows that started in fairly derivative places before making the leap to something more—even if that something more was just a much better version of the familiar concept. The Vampire Diaries' pilot, which Plec worked on, was frankly pretty awful, the worst kind of zeitgeist-chasing Twilight mush that gives paranormal romance a bad name. Berlanti's Arrow started out better, but certainly hit a lot of bumps along the way before the second half of Season 1 took a heightened, fun turn. So even The CW is known for putting out shows with just-fine, obvious pilots that turn into more fascinating projects. 

The big question mark moving forward with The Tomorrow People then is not necessarily how the story will move out of this uber-familiar territory, but how the primary cast members will help make that process easier. In the early episodes of The Vampire Diaries, the melodramatic stories were pretty tepid, but the show's leading trio kept it afloat by sheer power of personality alone (go back and watch Ian Somerhalder chomp down on scenery in the first half-dozen episodes; it's nuts). Despite having a sturdier foundation to build on, Stephen Amell certainly made Arrow better as the creative team worked on the show's world and tone. With The Tomorrow People, I'm not so sure that kind of easy-ish transition period is as possible. Robbie Amell looks the part—i.e., he's pretty, strong-jawed, and white—but he didn't bring a whole lot to the table in this first episode. The scenes where he was asked to be especially emotional, like the conversations about his dad, weren't very strong. Although his performance wasn't embarrassing, it wasn't good either. He's not the anchor the show needs, or at least he wasn't here. 

Luke Mitchell and Peyton List weren't givethat much to do in the opening hour. They were as fine as fine can be. But if the lead isn't charismatic and the two primary supporting characters—or in CW speak, the other two members of the primary love triangle—aren't great either, the whole enterprise leaves a lot to be desired. Mark Pellegrino and Aaron Yoo are professionals, and did well with what they had, but they can't carry the whole series, especially as the fourth and fifth leads. I understand why The CW casts shows the way that it does, but the hope is that at least one of the very, very pretty people can bring it on-screen, or at least seem electric in that young and attractive kind of way. Maybe the actors have it in them and the pilot didn't quite inspire them, or maybe they just need time to find a groove. In either case, the scripts and the performers just have to come together better. Fun, not even great, performances can make a story like this immediately more enjoyable. Above all else, that's what The Tomorrow People needs. 

This pilot wasn't good, but it wasn't bad either. It was mostly just a big shrug. But there is a lot of room for improvement, and various track records that suggest improvement is likely on the way. I'm not ready to disregard it quite yet.

ULTRA NOTES

– Somehow, this pilot made New York City look like Vancouver trying to look like New York City. Danny Cannon's shooting gave the episode the kind of sleek, blue hue-y vibe he brought to Nikita, but yow. It'd be nice if The CW and WB TV actually spent a big chunk of money on a pilot for once. Though to be fair, the special effects highlighting the characters' abilities were solid as can be on this level. They didn't look outright bad, which is an accomplishment I think. 

– Sarah Clarke playing a mother with teenage boys makes me feel odd. I'm also just waiting for her to reveal herself to be an Eastern European Ultra spy and for her to kill the younger brother. She's always evil.

– The idea that the Homo-Superiors can't kill is interesting. In theory, the show could do some cool commentary on evolution, killing, and hahahahahaha. Sorry, for a second I forgot that this is a CW sci-fi drama. 

– Can you spot all of the show's references or straight-up lifts from other pop culture items? 

– I'll be curious to hear what people who are familiar with the original version(s) think of this one. Fire away those comments!

What'd you think of The Tomorrow People's series premiere? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/5/2014

Season 1 : Episode 22

180 Comments
Comments (180)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Was looking for something to add to my holiday tv binge and gave the pilot a try. Made it halfway and then stopped. I haven't seen the original British version so I'm not sure if it's the same (though I doubt it) but if you want to do a show about X-men, then do X-men. Don't take the exact same premise, with the exact same stakes and call it new. Even Heroes (in the beginning when it was good) tried to avoid that trap.

You wanna have a show about people who have developed special powers? Cool. But do we really need to see them running from a covert organization that wants to wipe them out AGAIN? My God, this has been done TO DEATH. And it's been done by people who understand allegory.

If they had maybe referenced X-men, in a sort of self aware humour, I would have at least finished the episode. Too bad though, cause I really like Mark Pellegrino.
Flag
Also one more thing. The girl has been in Stephen's head for over a month trying to convince him that he's not crazy. It took a month for her to realize that actually meeting him might go a long way to proving that fact, instead of whispering in his ear every night? Please.
Flag
First things first: Just catching up on new shows I missed so far: I was kind of pleasantly surprised, because it was way better than I expected!

But: Cory, you are so right, there is nothing new on this show. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. There we have X-Men and Heroes, Alphas etc. To top it all, it's a remake... But as I have never seen the original British version I can't compare it. I just watched like 10 minutes of the UK-pilot to get an impression, but could not bear it for long. First the typical 80ies touch, secondly intolerable effects and then children as actors.

Do not get me wrong, I am not criticising the original series, I know it was a tv-show for kids and teens and in the 80ies you had to work with what you got... I am just too old now to get the real nostalgic feeling about it and to appreciate it as I would have done, if I had seen it back then as a child.

I am digressing now, but does anyone remember the UK-series "The Tripods" aired in 1984? I was crazy about this show and it did impress me a lot back then (but I can imagine the effects were as bad as it can get from today's point of view). That would be a great show for an American remake!!!

However, because I am not able to compare the original with the remake, I was able to watch TTP with an open mind, which is a good thing. And despite the fact that there was nothing new, I really enjoyed it!! It was entertaining, "Lucifer" as the villain is a fitting cast and the overall good looking young actors kept me watching happily. Call me shallow in this regard, but I can really indulge in some wide-spread eye candy! ;p
More+
Flag
Good to see Lucifer back in action... ;)
It was ok....I'll give it a couple more eps to see if it passes the smell test. I just don't know if The Hood's little cousin has the same acting chops. He did ok in his limited Alcatraz role, so maybe..
Flag
I dunno, i liked it. I see a lot of potential.
Flag
I kind of liked it. Sure there is nothing even remotely new about it, I still had fun watching it. Yes Robbie Amell looks like he's 30 and playing a high school student which is very odd, but so was Tom Welling on Smallville. I do hope Amell's acting will get better as the show progresses however. All in all, good popcorn fluff.
Flag
I'm not interested. Maybe I'd catch up if it makes it to its 3rd season. It's not like something new and interesting gonna happen any time soon~
Flag
There's a reason why this story has been told SO many times...because it works. And when it works well, it works BIG! Spiderman, Star Wars, Superman, The Matrix...four generational blockbusters with the same basic premise. If a super powered coming of age to save the world story didn't play so well, people would stop producing them. Instead, Heroes was a smash hit and failed only when it tried to break from the genre, tried to get more clever than it is and outsmarted itself.

This is neither Spiderman nor Superman nor The Matrix...It's Jumper meets Wanted meets Push. Never to be mistaken for three seminal films on the topic of super power realization, chosen one acceptance or coming of age...but entertaining if you just allow them to be what they are.

If Smallville can have a 10 year run, then there's no reason Tomorrow People couldn't go for 5 and the creative team behind the scenes has enough street cred for me to believe it can do just that. Expecting it to be some grand social commentary on how society treats people who are different would be a mistake. It won't ever be that. I do however expect it to be good old fashioned popcorn fun...filled with plot holes, questionable dialogue and some cheesy acting.
More+
Flag
Oh yeah! That darn HAL/KIT hybrid was too much for me too. I mean, do you have ANY originality show??

Flag
I'm willing to bet that HAL wasn't the 1st talking computer in bookdom, but you can't really rip on a talking computer that was talking on TV a decade before KITT ever did.

Just sayin' but name me any show on television you believe has true originality & I'll show you the influence that predates it.

consider it a game :P
Flag
True, there doesn't appear to be any original ideas out there anymore. However, there's a way to put an interesting spin on older ideas and the show simply failed to do that IMO.
Flag
Stupid cell phone kicked me off of this page after I wrote my comment! Starting over now on my laptop. Anywho, this is pretty much what I typed the first time:
I knew coming in that it would be ridiculously derivitive but I was cautiously optimistic that they would put their own spin on things. I was also hoping that I misunderstood the scenes and that the lead was actually going to at least be in college because frankly, he looks 30. That alone took me out of it. Trying to pass him as a high school student is laughable and this is coming from a TVD viewer. The whole not being able to kill thing is different but it just made these "superiors" weak to me. Other than that this was the same ole same old and extremely predictable. The only unpredictable thing was the name of the bad guy which really? Jedikiah?? When the blonde dude spoke of "Jedikiah's Compound" earlier, I assumed it was a joke. I had no idea that was really his name. That only took me out of it further. I love Mark Pelligrino and all but not enough to keep this on my roster. I'll check in on the reviews every once in a while to see how this show is doing but for now, I'm out.
More+
Flag
I wonder whether John is Jed's son. that woudl be interesting if not totally unexpected twist.

Flag
I thought the same thing when Jedikiah asked if he had come home
Flag
I was about to throw the towell half way through but the twist with uncle dear was pretty interesting as was Stevens decission to work for him so I think I stick with the show for a little while. At least until Jason Dohring appears. And I agree that the HS setting is very unnecessary

Though I'm bailing at first sign of a love triangle. it was so refreshing to have an established relationship right from the gate.
Flag
I liked it, so true not fresh new story but it is not bad...
but what is with that intelligent computer?!!! sooo 90s voice ...stupid one...
Flag
The talking 'puter is simply a faithful nod to the original show from the 70's. As far as the voice itself being 90's & stupid...that's purely subjective since the dialect itself by far predates all of our lifetimes. I'm not a fan of posh accents myself, but I think over time, TIM will grow on people. y'know...like mold :P
Flag
it was cheesy cheese at its best, not quite bad enough to be awful but still cringe worthy in parts. The Tomorrow People couldn't kill in the original show and they didn't do all that much fighting either, mostly they ran away if trouble came knocking on their doors so it will be interesting to see what this new new incarnation can do (interestingly enough in the reboot in the 90's had the kid from Neighbours, this time round its the kid from Home & Away).
Flag
I liked Mark Pellegrino, the two male Tomorrow people and Stephen's bro performancees. They have personality. The main couple and his friend were too meh. Also, I was ok with a show giving what it promised, but I really don't like the "you can't kill" part. Too far fetched, even for a scifi show.
Flag
I'll give this show a chance mostly because of the pretty people and the ending, I like the fact that stephen wants answers and is trying to get them while working for the bad guys.
Am I the only one who thinks that killing the tomorrow people is kinda, I don't now rash? shouldn't they just keep them in check while teaching them how to control their powers. Maybe to rational for TV?
Flag
I don't understand why they didn't just give everyone the "remedy" mike pellegrino was about to give Stephen. at least that was a lie.
Flag
Really? The show should have been titled:

Flag
Nonono. This is an action show.

Flag
Dialogue was fairly atrocious, Ammell's teeth were blinding, characters were meh at best, and the supercomputer was ridiculous. Its all a bit predictable so far, but I will watch a few more eps to see what happens. Perhaps ep2 will improve.
Flag
i just cant see Pellegrino as anything else other then the devil. I dont believe his family will die any time soon. His brother will probably either be a tomorrow person or join the team of ultra. Why does Cara have a connection with him?

I hope he wont hide his powers from his friend because shows like these can get annoying if the person's friends dont know shit when in reality a person would super powers would have friends that know.

I did like the pilot and have high hopes for the show in the long run
Flag
The teleporting reminded me of Jumper, homo-superiors is from X-men, the bullet-time-stopping thing is pure Matrix

Flag
The term "Homo Superiors" didn't originate from the X-Men either. Stan Lee simply lifted it from other sources he was inspired by back in the early 60's.
It's difficult to pinpoint exactly where & when the term was first coined, but odds are, the first use comes form a book called "Odd John" way back in '35
Flag
Thanks a lot, very interesting to learn where the phrase came from :)
Flag
First of all that Mark Pellegrino was the bad guy was revealed from the trailer not in the pilot and no YOU did not see it coming that he was Stephen's uncle. I am tired of reviewers that act like they know EVERYTHING that was going to happen in an episode of the show they are reviewing.

And also the interesting idea of the Homo Superiors cannot kill IS on a CW sci-fi drama which you are putting down, not on shows on the networks you think superior have done.

There are a lot of things that you can nitpick about on the pilot (which you did) but the above two mentioned were not.

Also reviewers, it's just tiring starting the review that it's awful then saying it has potential, then it's awful, then good again, you are giving us readers whiplash. Find a better way to do reviews. I have said it again (has nothing to do with if it's negative or not) it's sad when the comments below are so much better than the review.
Flag
re: "And also the interesting idea of the Homo Superiors cannot kill IS on a CW sci-fi drama"

That is actually based on the past Tomorrow People series, they didn't invent it for the CW.
Flag
I didn't say it was invented by CW & said IS on a CW sci-fi. You are right that it is based on the original Tomorrow People which first was on in the 70s (!) which mean all the shows mentioned have actually "ripped" of from it.
Flag
i feel that its too early to give judgement. Need a few more episode to figure out.

Theres 1 point that im surprised no one noticed. When the mom introduces the uncle to her son, isnt she curious why the son wants her to leave them alone? Isnt that just weird? Why would they have anything to tallk about?
Flag
this show is the sum of all the syfy movies and series we have been seen such as the movie Bush and X-Men and like Heroes, I do like it and I will keep watch it to seen what is going on and what is wrong with the uncle.... the show has a good start so... lets watch it
Flag
I have to agree and disagree. Yes, this show rips out a lot of stuff. Heck, the show even admits to it. we didn't come up with that name

And yes, we do see a lot of stuff that's been done to death, but the show did have some nice quircks. I think the ending was a nice touch and even though we're really not expecting to see something totally new here, it's not as been done to the death as the reviewer points out.

Actually, the cliche thing to do would be to make him fall in love with a human that is inovled with the bad guys (See: Teen Wolf, Nine Lives of Chloe King, Buffy and the list goes on...)

My problem with the show is that it actually didn't learn enough from the stuff it's based on. The script itself? Is actually pretty darn weak with inconsistencies and just flat out stupidity.

For example, he tells his friend he has super powers before he can even control them? That's dumb. And now that he can control them, why doesn't he show her?

Why on earth is he so dumb enough to just accept a picture as proof Jed is his uncle? Seriously? He doesn't think "photoshoping' is a possibility?
Sure, I can see that working for a show in the 70s, not in 2013.
Why not just flat out say that his mom knew Jed? Would have made more sense.

Why is he even contemplating on working with them? And why would Jed so stupidly trust him?

Why on earth do people with super powers such as Telekinesis and Teleportation fight the bad guys at close range?

How on earth is it possible that a bunch of teens in the subway have their own superrior AI? They have more resources than the government? That's just flat out dumb.

And the girls says that they don't use their powers in public (even though they actually do all episode long) so stealing watches is what exactly?
And more over, aren't you tired of shows where the good guys are just a bunch of thieves? Just like Supernatural, we get told in the pilot episode that the good guys have money because they steal it - But who exactly are they stealing it from? Oh, right, common every day folks. Writers just toss that in first episode hoping we'll forget it the next one.

P.S

Stephen Amell keeps arrow with acting skills? P-l-e-a-s-e...
He keeps a show with his perfect abs and nothing else.

Seriously if that show would make him keep shirt on for more than a couple of episodes it would get axed.

I agree, Robbie isn't Stephen. He really is bland and he doesn't have those abs either. He won't last long unless we get a secondary guy that is totally covering up for him (Ahem Dylan Obrien...)
More+
Flag
Great review. I agree pretty much on everything. I rolled my eyes,when they did boring routine of making him in high school. It's so played out and boring... How old is he then in show? I think,at least they made him 17 year old,right? It would be quite stupid to make him anything less. Maybe he even flunked a year or 10,if he's still in high school.

So Stephen and John(or was it Josh) are cousins and I think also Stephen and girl are somehow related,if they have this connection. Would throw a bit of GoT in the mix :D

End of episode was nice,because he joined Rebels,but didn't joined them just yet. He went to his uncle and will probably be spy inside. With the teleport stuff,I would at least expect that they go worldwide,giving that Jed gave him info,how The Tomorrow People are all over the world.
Flag
I really liked the premiere. This is only the second new pilot that entertained me this season. Instead of high-school, they could have made this a college show. But, there are lots of potential to have hilarious coming of age arcs like in Teen Wolf. Aside from Amell's mediocre acting and the rate at which he grasped a control on his powers, I didn't find much to complain about. It did its job perfectly. And finally Pellegrino as a regular!
Flag
For a first episode it was ok...it made me keep reminding of a lot of different programs and movies...like Jumper the way they teleport...
But with this one, i will do my 4 episode thing, before i decide if it is worth watching it...
Flag
Actually the way the did the teleport thing was quite good
Flag
it was indeed...i liked it in jumper too...that was the first thing that came to my mind when i saw him doing it...
Flag
I liked the premiere. It did what a premiere is supposed to do. And that is to introduce you to the characters and the different factions, while also introducing you to the show's specific universe. I have to wait for episode 2 and 3 before I can make a true determination on this show. Right now I can't see where it's going. I need more time.

But just for once, can't they make Mark Pallegrino (sorry about the spelling) the good guy? I actually enjoy him as an actor very much, but wouldn't he make a fantastic unexpected good guy?
Flag
He played a good guy on an episode of Grimm.
Flag
He did? Oh yeah! He did! He was Hank's friend, wasn't he?
Flag
Ok show. What I call "an in and out show". Kills one hour, thats it
Flag
I think I liked it more than I thought I would. It was paced quickly enough to not get too bogged down by some of the unoriginal moments. The thing with the bully was a bit stupid. Stephen finding out Jed is his uncle was a bit 'bleh'. But yeah, it was still pretty fun... nothing stupid enough to dislike.
Flag
I agree about the bully thing, but the uncle thing I actually liked it
Flag
Yes it was a colour by numbers pilot but like a lot of CW shows it has the potential to improve if you give it time. I'm going to give it that time.
Flag
re: "The Tomorrow People is very clearly indebted to decades of pop culture storytelling. It's The Matrix meets"

I wonder if the author realizes that the original Tommorrow People show was from a few decades ago, and it may be that those decades of pop culture are in part (perhaps indirectly) indebted to *it*. Obviously this is mostly indebted to the original, though I suspect they have taken some bits from the intervening decades of pop culture to update it.
Flag
I think the complaints about this show are pretty shallow. Every story has been told, especially the stories of King Arthur and Jesus but to say that TTP is derivative is like saying "good vs. evil" is derivative. It's a person with power show so what do you expect? I'm not saying the cliches won't continue to play out, but I think any pilot that is using a somewhat established mythos to break out a premise may seem a little derivative but that's an unfair critique. And if you're going to talk about something being unoriginal, I'm surprised this article glossed over the whole "Vader choking" thing.
Flag
Way too many similarities to Mutant X. Which wasn't the most original show either.
Flag
I like this show... It's like a Jumper series.
Flag
As for Luke Mitchell, maybe Julie Plec said that she'll only work on this show if they too get an Australian actor who was on H2O: Just Add Water. After Claire Holt and Phoebe Tonkin it looked like a winning formula. ;)
Flag
This has all happened before and it will happen again. Cory you nailed the references/rip-offs perfectly. It's definitely Matrix/Heroes/Xmen and everything else of the like that we've seen before. But, like you, I wasn't immediately turned away. There were some interesting aspects. Yes we have the prerequisite family drama/daddy issues (oh I pegged Jed being John's dad really early on). But why didn't they acknowledge that Stephen and John are cousins? Oversight? Intentional? I guess that remains to be seen.
I did somewhat like the special effects. They were a lot better than I was expecting. Hopefully those will continue to improve.
The acting was as wooden as can be. What has Robbie Amell done before? Anything? Hopefully his acting will get better. And although she is very hot, Peyton List has never been that great of an actress. It's easy to see that Pellegrino and Yoo are the only real actors on the show. But it is gonna be tough with them playing second fiddle to the "main" stars. Hopefully they can give acting lessons to everyone else in their downtime. Pellegrino still rules!! There is a lack of good sci-fi on TV nowadays and, right now, this is a decent enough fix for any sci-fi junkie. I also hate the high school setting though. It's not necessary.
I was kind of surprised by seeing Stephen join Ultra right away. That was kind of a twist to me. But yea then I thought "Oh, he's gonna work em from the inside to find his dad" and it made more sense.
Oh and I'm calling it now: Astrid is a plant. Either from his dad or from Ultra.
I don't think this is gonna be great but yea I guess I'll keep watching for now.
More+
Flag
I watched the Tomorrow people as a kid and loved it, especially the "other place" which I still remember to this day. I don't know if my severe disappointment in SHIELD is making me love this more than I would. I thought it was pretty tight. Got to where it was trying to get by getting the minor stuff outta the way. He is so similar to his cousin. I think he will learn and do better with the acting (I hope) but it didn't put me off. I'm intrigued to see more, which is more than I can say for SHIELD and Whedon is my Geek God.
Flag
What? Someone doesn't like Shield? Stop the madness...

LOL, I'm glad there are still sane people in this world. Watching people drool all over that show is begining to get annoying. It's like the new Twilight.
Flag
Comparing to Twilight?! Low blow JasonMelvil, low blow, its still a Whedon show after all. Lets give it a season to see where they are going with this before we start the ripping. :) I think some people are still in denial, as Whedonites we still hold some hope that it will pick up and be awesome but right now...ugh.
Flag
Well, I'm comparing to Twilight not in terms of quality, but rather in the loudness of annoying fans.
Flag
Gotcha ;)
Flag
Well I like evil Mark Pelligrino, he `s just so good at it! For a pilot it was ok.I wasn `t expecting much...so I`m not dissapointed. I will watch the next few episodes to make my final decision.Maybe it´ll turn out entertainig, maybe not.Let `s watch and see :-)
Flag
Yes, very cliche and predictable but I did not dislike it. Like something you have already seen in X-men and heroes. I definitely like those 2 better.

However TTP came on at the right time. Firstly there are NO shows on right now that has a cast of people with powers (ARROW and SHIELD agents do not have real powers). Secondly, this fall most new shows disappoints especially the over-rated MARVEL SHIELD so its good to see one that is predictable and yet enjoyable.

Robbie Amell was not very good but I like the supporting cast - Luke Mitchell and Peyton List and the Asian guy.

I still cannot get over how cool to see JANE of MAD MAN doing fight scenes and teleporting ! Really cool !
Flag

When he dealt with the bully I swear I heard a voice saying: "Luke; I'm your father! Join the dark side!"

Am I going schizo or someone is using telephaty?

But being a little serious: The story was bad, the dialoges were bad, the acting was bad, the fighting scenes were bad. I mean what the hell was that? Hadoken from street fighter or kamehame-ha from dragon ball? And why didn't the alpha dog guy use it in the first fighting scene? Teleport+hadoken would be a kickass combo. You only need to press up>up>up>down>left>down+high punch

Oh, and almost forgot. The sci-fi fan in me says we are homo sapiens sapiens. We have already evolved from homo sapiens.
Basically it is not incorrect to say that we are homo sapiens, but then if the tomorrow people have evolved from the today people, then they are also homo sapiens. As were the Neanderthals.Just saying.
Flag
Also correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the definition of new species that they can't breed? Clearly his mom and his dad can produce children...
Flag
If you want to go into genetics, then what you are thinking is a hybrid - the children of two different kind of species. It can happen, they can inherit the traits of both parents, but they won't be able to reproduce. Like the mule, which parents are the horse and the donkey or the liger which is from a tiger and a lion.

But the "Tomorrow People" are not actually a different kind of species; they are a subspecies or a new race of humans. Like how dogs are the subspecies of wolfs or Labrador and Terrier are different race of dogs. There are differences between them, but they can still crossbreed (of course if the circumstances are right) and produce a new subspecies (wolf-dog) or new race.

The problem is not with the breeding, it is with the world-wide appearance of the Tomorrow People. Evolution doesn't spread like a virus would...

Speaking of viruses... If Jedikiah can rewrite the dna of the TP with only one injection, then he should be able to treat down syndrome, turner syndrome and a lot more. He would get the Nobel prize for that if he wouldn't be so much into eugenics.
More +
Flag
great review... loved the optimism and critiques... :D
Flag
I think it is a very interesting pilot and I am sure to tune in for the next episode.As oppose to Shield this show truly deleivered.
I don't remember another show where the main character is split by two sides (Tommrow People/Ultra).I think that make somthing intresting to see in the coming episodes
Flag
Alphas was quite split at the beginning. If you consider the main character to be the Doctor / Scientist then he was conflicted with helping the Alphas be free or to help the government control them and keep the world safe. One of the early episodes (#1? #2?) had the guy who could predict outcomes say that the Doctor was going to make the decision that would change the world.

Towards the end, Gary was also split. Should he help his current pals or his "girlfriend" and the rebel Alphas. He tried to help both at one point
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Like everyone else I liked the pilot but I wasn't amazed by it, like most CW shows I felt the dialogue was cheesy and the main characters acting was kinda weak. I also thought most of the plot points were predictable especially the dad thing. I mean come on how many times have we seen that? Although I like the fact that they can't hurt humans because I've never really seen that before.
Flag
I commented on the "should I watch" post that CW's problem wasn't setting their shows in high school, it was picking projects that involved high school. Well, I officially take that back. There's no reason why this guy should be in high school. In fact, it would be more compelling if he was living at home and having a hard time keeping a job because of his new abilities.

I liked the pilot. Predictable but fun. I actually thought Luke Mitchell was very good, but all Robbie Amell did for me was make me appreciate his cousin more.

Like my girl @Llostris below, I will keep watching but this may be the one of Julie Plec's three balls in the air that comes crashing to earth. Big tipoff to that: the casting of Jeffery Pierce as a Mysterious Character Who Has Greater Significance (see also: Alcatraz, Cult). He's an Angel of Death for sure.

Flag
The question isn't why would he have a problem keeping his job with his powers (Charmed did that wonderfully) but rather why should he work in the first place?

Just like the teens underground, he can rip off anyone he wants with telekinesis. He can rob banks with teleportation (jumper) or just flat out cheat at blackjack with Telepathy.

Those are just quick examples. He can be a millionare in a few days.

But I agree, the high school cliche is getting annoying. I'm really not that sure why people keep doing that. Back in the day? Sure, I totally get it.
Superheroes was mostly a teen genere, so they needed someone like them to sympathize with. But clearly the demographic today is not what it used to be.
Superheroes aren't just for kids these days.
They can drop it easily.

Did we really have a problem with Charmed or Alphas just cause they weren't in school? Hardly.
Flag
I meant having a hard time at work in the same way he is shown having a hard time at school - he doesn't understand his powers yet or how to use them. The point of the school scenes was to show how he is suffering (e.g. the voices in his head distract him and make him yell like a nut in the middle of a class and nearly strangle a bully). He could easily had that outburst in the middle of a meeting or assaulted a customer or angry boss.

Whether or not he would need to work once he has learned to channel his powers is irrelevant; arguably he can use these powers to advance or at least get by in school now, too.
Flag
I watched The Tommorow People out of curosity. I wasn't expecting a good show so I'm not disappointed. I liked Peyton List's Cara - shame she's not the protagonist of the series. Also Jasika Nicole is the only true Astrid - all others are imposters.

I guess the show would be better without the "High School element". They need to ditch it.

I'll check the next episode, but something tells me Tommorow People is going to be cancelled before Christmas...
Flag
How can they be so daft as to make another curly haired underused black friend named Astrid?? HOW? I don't know what happened for 10 minutes after they said her name. I was too horrified.
Flag
Speaking of high school, I simply don't understand why The Tomorrow People has to take place in that setting.

I wasn't a fan of the pilot, but my guess is since the show is targeted at kids they want to make it accessible and relatable so they put the main character in high school.

Wow, that cool guy is having those problems... I have those problems. Wow he's dealing with bullies? I'M DEALING with bullies. Wow...

Heck I bet they'll be throwing in a message-of-the-week here and there: trust, bullying, etc. Depending on the writers, either obvious or nuanced.

Flag
I might give this a shot, purely to see if this gets better. Your article was rather compelling. :o
Flag
You know me, I'm always in it for the token minorities. And this one has two! Token black girl with no background is already loads better than Bonnie. Keep it up!
Flag
I didn't love it, but I do like evil Mark Pelligrino in anything, so I'll stick around for a bit.
Flag
Well i was excited to watch this episode but i just don't like the main character which could be my problem. He's not very likeable in this episode and his confused look throughout the episode was rather annoying. Despite this, this series has potential however i highly doubt it will ever achieve this potential without better writing and direction.

The preview ruins most of the surprises in this episode but not all of them but i am surprised he decided join the bad guys because of his uncle. There are few plot holes in this series but if you overlook them you will enjoy this show.

It's obvious his dad isn't dead since he probably teleported as the car explodes
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members