Fire Jeff Zucker

  • Avatar of snake63

    snake63

    [1]Jan 17, 2010
    • member since: 10/19/03
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 329

    Without a doubt Jeff Zucker is the biggest boob to run a network. The man ran NBC into a toilet. He allowed shows like Law & Order to be politicized which alienated the audience. And now the Jay Leno and Conan debacle every other network is laughing at NBC.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [2]Jan 18, 2010
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    I totally agree. A lot of people have sent Mr Zucker some emails regarding this whole fiasco. He probably wont read them but whatever..hes still an idiot lol. I hope he sees how many viewers hes about to lose!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TheDiamondDog

    TheDiamondDog

    [3]Jan 18, 2010
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 61
    • rank: Gold Monkey
    • posts: 19,860
    I read that ever since he took over, the network went downhill. He took over the top network, and brought it down.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [4]Jan 18, 2010
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    TheDiamondDog wrote:
    I read that ever since he took over, the network went downhill. He took over the top network, and brought it down.


    I heard that too. But I dont really know WHEN Zucker took over because NBC has been going downhill for quite some time. I mean wasnt it going downhill, even with 'Friends', and that ended in 2004. Thats why they promoted the crap out the last few weeks to get as much money as they could. And I dont watch those primetime shows on NBC like '30 Rock' or 'Heroes' or 'Parks and Rec' or whatever so I have no idea if they are going to support this network or not.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TheDiamondDog

    TheDiamondDog

    [5]Jan 19, 2010
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 61
    • rank: Gold Monkey
    • posts: 19,860

    stellarchick86 wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:
    I read that ever since he took over, the network went downhill. He took over the top network, and brought it down.
    I heard that too. But I dont really know WHEN Zucker took over because NBC has been going downhill for quite some time. I mean wasnt it going downhill, even with 'Friends', and that ended in 2004. Thats why they promoted the crap out the last few weeks to get as much money as they could. And I dont watch those primetime shows on NBC like '30 Rock' or 'Heroes' or 'Parks and Rec' or whatever so I have no idea if they are going to support this network or not.

    I heard he took over in 2001.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [6]Jan 19, 2010
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    TheDiamondDog wrote:
    I heard he took over in 2001


    Ah, okay. That makes sense then because NBC has been pretty crappy for a while. I remember an episode of 'Family Guy' where they go to NBC (I forget what for) and you see a sign outside that says NBC and below it it reads "We used to have Seinfeld, remember?" Lol. And that was from the first few seasons and FG has been around for 7 or 8 seasons or something like that. Im surprised he hasnt gotten fired sooner then.
    Edited on 01/19/2010 5:20pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of insinity

    insinity

    [7]Jan 19, 2010
    • member since: 05/31/06
    • level: 40
    • rank: Bewitched
    • posts: 184
    He won't be fired until the Comcast deal goes through.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [8]Jan 19, 2010
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    ^^When does that go through again? Honestly, I dont know anything more about this than "NBC will be owned by Comcast at some point". I dont know when or even what Comcast really is. I also have no idea about the whole NBC losing money on the Olympics thing either- why? I dont really follow business deals and stuff like that. If Conan didnt interest me to begin with Id have no idea what was going on with this either I dont think. My friend is sort of into Conan but not as much as me, shell watch him every once in a while but I MAKE SURE to watch him, and a week ago I was talkin about it and she was like I still dont get what the heck is going on so I had to explain to her about the whole 5 year/retirement thing.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TheDiamondDog

    TheDiamondDog

    [9]Jan 20, 2010
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 61
    • rank: Gold Monkey
    • posts: 19,860
    I think Comcast is a cable provider. I remember commercials with it from a few years back.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [10]Jan 20, 2010
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    Yeah..but I mean like I have Dish Network so does it not really concern me because its not 'cable' or does D.N. go THROUGH Comcast in order to get NBC? Do you know what I mean? I feel like a dummy but these types of things arent really 2nd nature to me lol...Im just like 'hey, I click on the tv and its there' LOL!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [11]Jan 20, 2010
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,233
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:
    I read that ever since he took over, the network went downhill. He took over the top network, and brought it down.

    I heard that too. But I dont really know WHEN Zucker took over because NBC has been going downhill for quite some time. I mean wasnt it going downhill, even with 'Friends', and that ended in 2004. Thats why they promoted the crap out the last few weeks to get as much money as they could. And I dont watch those primetime shows on NBC like '30 Rock' or 'Heroes' or 'Parks and Rec' or whatever so I have no idea if they are going to support this network or not.

    Zucker's one great accomplishment was that he kept "Friends" on for three more years. They were winding down in '01 and he convinced the whole cast (and the producers) to stick around for a tenth season. Sure, it cost a lot of money, but I'm sure NBC-U made more than made up for it in DVD revenue.

    Other than that, Zucker has little to show for his nine years in charge. As it stands, NBC has only two shows in the Nielsen top 25, and one of them (Sunday Night Football) wrapped up for the season two weeks ago.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [12]Jan 20, 2010
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    I only heard that the cast wanted to end at 9 seasons but NBC convinced them to do one more because it was its biggest cash cow so they decided to do one more season but make it shorter than a regular season. Never heard about the 2 extra seasons. Well I guess Zucker isnt COMPLETELY useless then.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TheDiamondDog

    TheDiamondDog

    [13]Jan 20, 2010
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 61
    • rank: Gold Monkey
    • posts: 19,860
    Though the last season seemed a little weak to me. And I hated the finale. But I was glad it stayed on for a few more seasons.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [14]Jan 20, 2010
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    TheDiamondDog wrote:
    Though the last season seemed a little weak to me. And I hated the finale. But I was glad it stayed on for a few more seasons.


    I agree, it was pretty weak. But s9 didnt seem finished enough for me so thats why I was glad. I didnt hate the season finale but it did sort of feel 'weird' to me I cant explain it. Like it was a bit off. But I did cry though lol..but probably because Friends is my fave show.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TheDiamondDog

    TheDiamondDog

    [15]Jan 21, 2010
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 61
    • rank: Gold Monkey
    • posts: 19,860

    stellarchick86 wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:
    Though the last season seemed a little weak to me. And I hated the finale. But I was glad it stayed on for a few more seasons.
    I agree, it was pretty weak. But s9 didnt seem finished enough for me so thats why I was glad. I didnt hate the season finale but it did sort of feel 'weird' to me I cant explain it. Like it was a bit off. But I did cry though lol..but probably because Friends is my fave show.

    I still love watching the reruns. I've seen some episodes like 5 times, and they are still really funny.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [16]Jan 21, 2010
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    TheDiamondDog wrote:
    I still love watching the reruns. I've seen some episodes like 5 times, and they are still really funny


    Yeah..I have all 10 seasons on DVD and re-watch them but I mainly re-watch s1-6 most because the characters were funnier, I thought, and had less baggage which is always good.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of thecomedianky

    thecomedianky

    [17]Jan 21, 2010
    • member since: 10/09/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 2,125
    zucker and gaspin didn't even bother to tell their late night exec what they were going to do to conan?

    here's the part i don't understand. jay asked if they would let him out of his contract and they said no.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [18]Jan 21, 2010
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    thecomedianky wrote:
    jay asked if they would let him out of his contract and they said no.


    You mean now or back during TTS? Because I never heard this before. I would imagine they said no for now because if they did let him out of contract theyd have to pay him $180mil. Back then, they probably thought he was too valuable and wanted him to hang around for those 5 years and such too. They basically "wanted their cake and eat it too". I dont know how much they could FORCE Jay to stick around though..maybe tell him hed have to pay money to quit or something? I dont know how those things work.
    Edited on 01/21/2010 4:55pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TheDiamondDog

    TheDiamondDog

    [19]Jan 22, 2010
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 61
    • rank: Gold Monkey
    • posts: 19,860

    stellarchick86 wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:
    jay asked if they would let him out of his contract and they said no.
    You mean now or back during TTS? Because I never heard this before. I would imagine they said no for now because if they did let him out of contract theyd have to pay him $180mil. Back then, they probably thought he was too valuable and wanted him to hang around for those 5 years and such too. They basically "wanted their cake and eat it too". I dont know how much they could FORCE Jay to stick around though..maybe tell him hed have to pay money to quit or something? I dont know how those things work.

    According to Jay, both times. NBC doesn't want to let him go. After they said the Cone Zone would take over TTS, he asked to be released from his contract, but they said no, and later cam to him with the prime time talk show idea, which they told him was what the people wanted. Then, with the fiasco that has been going on recently, he apparently once again just asked to be dismissed from his contract, but they told him no because he was the only one who could beat Letterman's ratings. All NBC has in the ratings war is late night I guess.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [20]Jan 22, 2010
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    TheDiamondDog wrote:
    According to Jay, both times. NBC doesn't want to let him go. After they said the Cone Zone would take over TTS, he asked to be released from his contract, but they said no, and later cam to him with the prime time talk show idea, which they told him was what the people wanted. Then, with the fiasco that has been going on recently, he apparently once again just asked to be dismissed from his contract, but they told him no because he was the only one who could beat Letterman's ratings. All NBC has in the ratings war is late night I guess

    Its not that I dont believe what YOURE saying, because I do, its just I dont know if I can beleive what JAYS saying. Hes always been a sneaky b@$tard and trying to always get things that he wants at the expense of others. So I seriously would not be surprised that he helped in trying to get TTS back because thats pretty much all he wanted to begin with and is now using this whole "I wanted out of my contract" thing as damage control. They know they are going to lose a lot of viewers once he takes over because they were Conan fans or whatever the case may be so now they are trying to make it sound like Jay is Mr Everyman who would never do that to another colleague in order to keep the ratings the way it was before. That was the whole thing with Jays speech on Mon or Tues night where he basically made it sound like "oh well I was just going along with everything and doing what NBC was telling me to do". BS- just damage control. I find it awfully coincidental that Jay never said anything much about this whole NBC thing (except for cracking jokes) and Conan mentioned it along the way quite often and then once they all saw the backlash against Jay (and the rallies and such) thats when he comes out with his little speech on his show. Sadly for them no one is buying their crap and I hope that after tonight NBC sinks faster than the Titanic (or whatever else that has sunk faster than that LOL!)
    Edited on 01/22/2010 12:12pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.