General News & Media Mentions

Rebel-Man

[21]Jun 9, 2009
    • level: 16
    Conan's ratings have dropped hugely. This past Monday it was 3.1 Conan and 3.0 Letterman.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[22]Jun 10, 2009
    • level: 63
    Rebel-Man wrote:
    Conan's ratings have dropped hugely. This past Monday it was 3.1 Conan and 3.0 Letterman.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Conan was averaging a 3.1 in the last two or three years he hosted Late Night. Basically, he's retaining his old viewers but not making gains anywhere else.

TheDiamondDog

[23]Jun 10, 2009
    • level: 61

HelloStuart wrote:
    Rebel-Man wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Conan was averaging a 3.1 in the last two or three years he hosted Late Night. Basically, he's retaining his old viewers but not making gains anywhere else.

I'm actually not that surprised. I know people that can't stand Conan (they don't get his humor mostly) and said they wouldn't watch him. My neighbor said he'd switch to Letterman actually.

Rebel-Man

[24]Jun 10, 2009
    Yall are both correct. And today actually Letterman beat Conan which is the first time Letterman has done that since some time last year as far as the Tonight Show goes. Conan got a 2.7 and Letterman got something like a 3.4 and Nightline on ABC got a 3.1. So yall are right, he is only getting his old audience and nobody else.

HelloStuart

[25]Jun 11, 2009
    Rebel-Man wrote:
    Yall are both correct. And today actually Letterman beat Conan which is the first time Letterman has done that since some time last year as far as the Tonight Show goes. Conan got a 2.7 and Letterman got something like a 3.4 and Nightline on ABC got a 3.1. So yall are right, he is only getting his old audience and nobody else.

Either way, I'm not worried. NBC sees Conan as a long-term investment, and you can't build an audience overnight.

Rebel-Man

[26]Jun 11, 2009
    "Technically" doesn't he already have an audience? It isn't like he came out of the clowd and has to find it. It's been there since he started back in the early 90s. It just seems so far it's not going beyond that.

insinity

[27]Jun 11, 2009
    • level: 40
    Ahumm, there's still also that little think about Jay leaving after a couple of years which takes a bit of getting used to by the usual audience.

Then, Jay will return and Conan will start gathering viewers with a lower average age which don't usually watch those shows.

One last thing, Letterman's show is worse than ever and his Shaffer is probably the most annoying and creepiest sidekick/band leader ever. People tuning out because they're not used to Conan will soon go back to him and start appreciating him. He's an acquired taste for people who are into a less goofy kind of humor, whereas Letterman isn't a taste at all.

Let's not jump to conclusions so fast, it's only been two weeks. Give him 6 months to a year and we'll see what happens. He's endured worse on Late Night and he got over it - big time.

HelloStuart

[28]Jun 11, 2009
    Rebel-Man wrote:
    "Technically" doesn't he already have an audience? It isn't like he came out of the clowd and has to find it. It's been there since he started back in the early 90s. It just seems so far it's not going beyond that.

What I meant to say is building upon the audience that Conan already has.

Ferrovax

[29]Jun 11, 2009
    • level: 6
    Rebel-Man wrote:
    Conan has to try to get new audience interested in his show. Add in that most people do not like change, it will take some time before he will expand on his older audience.
    insinity wrote:
    Let's not jump to conclusions so fast, it's only been two weeks. Give him 6 months to a year and we'll see what happens. He's endured worse on Late Night and he got over it - big time.
    It is fact that anytime you have a new employee ;in this case Conan; then that new employee will almost always have a decline in production ; ratings in this case; Once the new employee ;Conan; gets comfortable at the new job then the production(ratings) goes up.

TheDiamondDog

[30]Jun 11, 2009
    I hope in a couple months Conan starts getting a larger audience. And that's true, not a lot of people like change. Plus, Conan's antics seem to attract a younger audience, while the older audience thinks he is weird and childish.

Ferrovax

[31]Jun 11, 2009
    • level: 6
    TheDiamondDog wrote:
    I hope in a couple months Conan starts getting a larger audience. And that's true, not a lot of people like change. Plus, Conan's antics seem to attract a younger audience, while the older audience thinks he is weird and childish.

As was shown during last nights show where he was the "moderator".

TheDiamondDog

[32]Jun 11, 2009

Pics of Conan out & about in LA.

http://omg.yahoo.com/photos/conan-explores-la-la-land/2969#id=5

insinity

[33]Jun 12, 2009
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118004842.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&ref=ssp

And there, I was right.

HelloStuart

[34]Jun 12, 2009

insinity wrote:
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118004842.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&ref=ssp

And there, I was right.

One other notable factor: Conan isn't feuding with Governor Palin.

TheDiamondDog

[35]Jun 13, 2009
    I wasn't too thrilled to see P.Hil on the show last night.

HelloStuart

[36]Jun 13, 2009
    Thank you for making my topic sticky, Mr. Editor Person.

insinity

[37]Jun 13, 2009
    I thought that was awkward too. I could see Conan laughing inside and dying to make a joke about her asap.

HelloStuart wrote:
    Thank you for making my topic sticky, Mr. Editor Person.

I had to outsource (hence the delay). There's a bug keeping me from modding the forums and the show's blog. Everything else works okay though.

insinity

[38]Jun 19, 2009

Ka-ching?

http://nbcumv.com/entertainment/release_detail.nbc/entertainment-20090618000000-conantakesweektwo.html

'THE TONIGHT SHOW WITH CONAN O'BRIEN' DOMINATES ITS SECOND WEEK OVER 'LATE SHOW' IN EVERY IMPORTANT DEMO – ADULTS, MEN AND WOMEN 18-34, 18-49 AND 25-54 – ALSO CLAIMS THE WEEK IN TOTAL VIEWERS CONAN WINS THE WEEK BY 79 PERCENT IN 18-49 VIEWERS, 'TONIGHT'S' BIGGEST MARGIN AGAINST A FULL WEEK OF 'LATE SHOW' ORIGINALS, EXCLUDING CONAN'S PREMIERE WEEK, SINCE THE 'FRIENDS' FINALE CONAN'S MARGIN SOARS TO 177 PERCENT IN ADULTS 18-34 JIMMY FALLON OUT-DELIVERS LETTERMAN IN 18-49 VIEWERS BY 1 PERCENT AND IN 18-34 VIEWERS BY 61 PERCENT, DESPITE STARTING AN HOUR LATER THAN LETTERMAN

HelloStuart

[39]Jun 19, 2009
    insinity wrote:

Ka-ching?

http://nbcumv.com/entertainment/release_detail.nbc/entertainment-20090618000000-conantakesweektwo.html

'THE TONIGHT SHOW WITH CONAN O'BRIEN' DOMINATES ITS SECOND WEEK OVER 'LATE SHOW' IN EVERY IMPORTANT DEMO – ADULTS, MEN AND WOMEN 18-34, 18-49 AND 25-54 – ALSO CLAIMS THE WEEK IN TOTAL VIEWERS CONAN WINS THE WEEK BY 79 PERCENT IN 18-49 VIEWERS, 'TONIGHT'S' BIGGEST MARGIN AGAINST A FULL WEEK OF 'LATE SHOW' ORIGINALS, EXCLUDING CONAN'S PREMIERE WEEK, SINCE THE 'FRIENDS' FINALE CONAN'S MARGIN SOARS TO 177 PERCENT IN ADULTS 18-34 JIMMY FALLON OUT-DELIVERS LETTERMAN IN 18-49 VIEWERS BY 1 PERCENT AND IN 18-34 VIEWERS BY 61 PERCENT, DESPITE STARTING AN HOUR LATER THAN LETTERMAN

Hmm... I wonder if Dave can start a feud with Phyllis Schlafly...

thecomedianky

[40]Jun 19, 2009
    • level: 19
    triumph will be on tonight with a hoarse voice.