TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

General News & Media Mentions

TheDiamondDog

[101]Jan 21, 2010
    • level: 61

TheDiamondDog wrote:
    The bid went down to $60,100.

And now it is down to $9,100.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

stellarchick86

[102]Jan 21, 2010
    • level: 32
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

TheDiamondDog wrote:

LOL! Pretty soon its going to just go down to its original price lol. It was probably full of 12 year olds who got excited but have no more than $15 in their piggybanks LOL.

HelloStuart

[103]Jan 21, 2010
    • level: 63
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

TheDiamondDog wrote:

Speaking of $9,100, how about that Conan staffer severance pay?

TheDiamondDog

[104]Jan 22, 2010

It's over soon, but every time I check, it has gone down further again. Now it is going for $3,050.

Man, I watched Last Call With Carson Daly last night. Not much of a talk show. It is just prerecorded interviews at a bar like set. How that is staying on I question. I remember when it was done in front of an audience.

Okay, I dunno if anyone was on Yahoo's home page, but right now the top story is about Russian ice dancers. I can't help but think the guy looks like Conan. It could just be me.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Russian-ice-dance-tribute-to-Aborigines-offensiv?urn=oly,215206

Edited on 01/22/2010 12:05pm

stellarchick86

[105]Jan 22, 2010
    ^^Lol you are funny! But he kinda does, if Conan had more of a tan and triangle nose lol. But if we ever wanted to picture him as an ice skater, there we go. Maybe he can join the olympics since hes unemployeed now lol. And yeah Ive never seen anything Carson Dalys done since TRL and he was even a little painful on there at times, so I cant imagine his own show LOL. It does crack me up though that Letterman can never remember him. He either forgets to mention it completely (when talking about this whole thing and how its going to screw up the late night schedules) or he'll say things like "And then you got Carson Daly...no one knows whats going on with him. Its like Pluto. Is it a show? Is it a planet? No one knows" (or something to that affect) lol.
    Edited on 01/22/2010 12:18pm
    Edited 2 total times.

TheDiamondDog

[106]Jan 22, 2010

I never really watched TRL. But I remember people saying he didn't show all that much emotion. Or they said as a host, he had a very different style.

Odd, the auction for the suitcase dissappeared. I wanted to see the winning bid. I was watching it on eBay. But it isn't under ended.

thecomedianky

[107]Jan 23, 2010
    • level: 19
    carson is on reruns so much that it's not even funny.

HelloStuart

[108]Jan 24, 2010
    thecomedianky wrote:
    carson is on reruns so much that it's not even funny.

Plus, like what Mel alluded to, three shows out of five are "on the road." "Last Call" has become less of a talk show than it is a hipster douchebag version of "Godfrey's Talent Scouts."

TheDiamondDog

[109]Jan 25, 2010
    Why don't they just cancel Last Call? For some reason, it seems like there are 2 weeks of new shows, and 2 shows of reruns.

evildevil97

[110]Jan 25, 2010
    • level: 26
    I dont even think Last Call had a new episode since '09.

stellarchick86

[111]Jan 25, 2010
    LOL- you guys are funny! I guess maybe they figure 1/2 Carson is better than a full on Carson (which I agree HAHA).

Anyway, I found this on my local FOX station's website (www.myfoxphoenix.com) so I thought it was a pretty reliable source, unlike something like TMZ. I thought it was pretty interesting and wanted to share. I dont care much for FOX because they seem to cancel so many good shows most of the time when theyve barely gotten off the ground but honestly FOX is Conans best bet right now and I just want more Conan. Seriously, Id watch 'Kitten Corner' if I had to LOL. And at this point Im so disgusted with NBC that FOX is like a hero in my eyes. Anyway I wanted to point this out to you because I keep seeing all of these "FOX is lukewarm" type of articles and they arent from as reliable of a source as the link below is so. It seems like its most likely going to happen (not for sure, but more than lukewarm). FOX knows they got a good thing going here because Conan already has such a huge fanbase, they may not have to pay him anything for the first year or whatever that deal is, Conans key demographic is young viewers which they love so that will help with the "well will he do well enough for the affiliates to go along with this?" type of thing, and Conan worked for FOX for a while on The Simpsons. Theyd be stupid not to!

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpps/entertainment/dpgonc-fox-ready-to-swoop-in-conan-obrien-fc-20100125_5750353

Oh and also, at the end of the article it talks about how Conan may be able to own part of it with his production company. So if lets say Conan did get his own show with FOX and he owned it through Conaco or whatever, then essentially he could be his own boss right without getting fired? I heard thats why Letterman made Worldwide Pants, so he never really had to worry about getting screwed out of some deal again or getting cancelled. So I was wondering if its the same sort of thing here. I dont really understand how these business type deals work in great detail.

Edited on 01/25/2010 3:29pm
    Edited 4 total times.

GolfDude825

[112]Jan 27, 2010
    Conan is producing a 1 hour drama series.. and guess what network is involved.. NBC.. yes Conan and NBC are working together on something:

JUSTICE (NBC, New!) - Conan O'Brien is back in business with NBC as the network has commissioned a pilot for "Justice," a potential drama from his Conaco production banner. John Eisendrath penned the hour, which "follows an ex-Supreme Court justice who quits the Court to start his own legal practice." Eisendrath then will executive produce alongside O'Brien and his Conaco partners Jeff Ross and David Kissinger. Universal Media Studios is the studio attached as a result of O'Brien's $33 million settlement, which included a provision that the company stick with the studio through the end of the current development cycle.

HelloStuart

[113]Jan 30, 2010
    Does it bother anyone that one-third of all the posts in this forum were written after NBC announced they wanted to move Leno back to late night? Three weeks ago there were 193 total posts, now we have almost 300.
    Edited on 01/30/2010 4:54pm

Rebel-Man

[114]Jan 31, 2010
    • level: 16
    As I watched the Oprah interview, one opinion was universal. If only these fans that magically came out of the woodwork had actually watched the show. That's how you support a show you like to watch. Not wait until THIS then magically howl like a wolf.

stellarchick86

[115]Jan 31, 2010
    I agree with you guys. I do feel like a lot of people are bandwagoners. I dont know whether they just havent been around to watch but still liked the show or if they just started getting into it because of the controversy (like "you dont know what you got until its gone"). My friend liked Conan and if she came over every once in a while we would watch him but she usually worked till 11 or 1130 at night and hes already done for the night and she didnt have a DVR. She watched the last couple of nights and I was like "Now you get into him!" lol. Ive been watching him for 13 years straight but I also have a DVR so its a little eaiser for me. But you know what they need to change the Nielsen thing anyway. It only accounts for like 25,000 households, they are only used in the USA and it doesnt account for things like Hulu either. I think thats why Conan went down so quickly. And since Conan attracts younger viewers, this is always going to be a problem because they have things to do at night. Older people, that watch Leno, will watch religiously because thats how they are. They eat, watch TV, and then go to bed like they are on a set schedule. Meanwhile younger people are more spontaneous and may miss a few episodes (or may have to work late at night).

And dont get me started on the Oprah interview. That was all one big "Jay Leno is such a good man" sobfest and it did not prove anything other than Oprah is biased and will always be this way and she has a bunch of sheep to tell what to do and what to think.

Edited on 01/31/2010 6:13pm

Rebel-Man

[116]Feb 1, 2010
    • level: 16
    A bit of stereotyping in that post with the age thing I have grown so sick of. I know olds that like Conan and I know youngs like me that like Jay. Plus I am tired of the blame game some insist on slinging around. Blame NBC. And technically the Hulu and the DVR's do have a measuring but even THEN the ratings still did not go up. Dave was beating Conan over the summer before prime time even started. The first week highs were the new car smell people sampling. Then it shot down royally to be below David Letterman and by July I saw CBS press releases saying "Dave Beats Tonight Show first time since 1995 and 1999" and such in many areas such as general audiences and that 18-49 demo. Not to fear, I am sure he will get a show somewhere. Can't guarantee how well it will do but somewhere none the less.

stellarchick86

[117]Feb 2, 2010
    ^^Okay, I will retract the comments regarding age because youre right, it is stereotyping. I personally dont know anyone younger than the age of 50 who like Jay and those over the age of 50 who like Conan so I did stereotype. Im sorry for that.

But I stand by my word on everything else. Jay's ratings were the problem and it was Jay's show that was getting cancelled. In order to get him pushed back, The Tonight Show had to get pushed back. Conan didnt want to do that because it would make the show go past midnight and then it wouldnt even be the TONIGHT show anymore. Not to mention, it would be affecting Jimmy Fallon and Carson Dalys shows which are pretty much hanging by a thread to begin with. I dont blame him for doing this and respect him for it. So NBCs reasoning was to only do the whole "midnight situation", which he didnt want to do, but it didnt have anything to do with his ratings. It had to do with the fact that theyd rather have Leno on than Conan and were trying to push him out as much as they could so they wouldnt have to pay him if he quit. Instead he allowed himself to get fired for this so he could actually get the money he could from this horrible debacle.

I dont blame Jay for wanting his old job back; however, he said he was retiring back in 2004 and he should stand by his word. If he decided he really DIDNT want to retire, he shouldve said no to the agreement and try to find something else. Instead, he played along and made it sound like it was HIS idea. And then he comes along 5 years later and says "Oh yeah, I was telling a lie- Tee hee!" like we're just supposed to be like "Oooh..Jay. Its okay. There there." Does he think we're idiots who dont remember what happened 5 years ago when its on TAPE?! Dont think so. He shouldve stood up for what was right and not let Conan be the one to get squeezed out when he did nothing wrong to begin with. Its amazing to me that Jay gets cancelled TWICE and he gets REWARDED with TTS when it was Conans dream to have it. (Conan did more with it in 7 months than Jay did in 17 years but whatever thats not the point here). And I also blame Leno because his (awful) show was a lead in for Conan which affected his ratings. He was putting people to sleep so no one was watching the news which affected Conans ratings. If Johnny Carson had his own primetime show before Jay did when he was just starting out, he wouldnt like that either. And Leno had awful ratings for the first 3 years before the Hugh Grant scandal happened but he had time to build an audience where as Conan had 7 months. So yes, I do blame NBC the most because they started this whole thing, but I do blame Leno too. And I just dont like the guy. I dont like how he basically threw Conan under a bus saying HE was the one ruining TTS during the Oprah interview when it was Jays ratings in question to begin with. If it wasnt for his show, Conan wouldnt even HAVE had most of the bad ratings because lead-ins are a very important thing! Especially for a show as big as TTS which is going to have a few adjustments at first when theyve been used to having the same host for 17 years. Im sorry, I dont have any more repsect for the guy and I dont feel Conan did anything wrong whatsoever. Obviously Leno did SOMETHING wrong because Conan thanked NBC in the series finale but never once mentioned Jay. Hmm.

As far as the DVR/Hulu things are concerned, I dont know, but Ive heard from MANY people that they dont count. Maybe towards advertising revenue but they dont check it to see whose watching Hulu as far as Conans ratings are concerned. If they did, Conan wouldnt really have had AS bad of ratings because a lot of his fans decided to use that instead because they dont have a DVR and missed his show. If you dont believe me, go to Facebook.com/Imwithcoco. Ive been there for like a month and you really get a feel for the people and this situation quite clearly through the discussion boards. Someone also posted about how Leno said something like "49% of people watched my show" and making it sound like he was talking about his primetime show in regards to TTS/Conan but it was ACTUALLY TTS/Jay he was referring to, which was very misleading. Leno can lie like nobodys business, going back to my point about me not liking him, but thats neither here nor there.

Im sorry if I come across harsh, I dont mean to. Its just a very frustrating situation and Ive had like 3 different Leno fans come at me today so Ive been like pumped up about this already LOL. But on that Facebook group, of the people who DO talk on the discussion boards, 95% of them agree with what Im saying, so its not like Im the only one who thinks this. And theres 912,000 or so members. You can take with it what you will, Ive spoken my piece.

Edited on 02/02/2010 3:08am
    Edited 5 total times.

HelloStuart

[118]Feb 20, 2010
    Here's paparazzi photos of our old buddy kissing dolphins.

TheDiamondDog

[119]Feb 24, 2010

I read news about Conan that's cool, and news I was surprised about.

Conan said he would like to do a live stage show college tour. And since I'm still in school, I could pry get discount tickets. However, would he come to my school?

I read that not long ago.

The five minutes ago, I see Conan has joined Twitter. He said it was stupid before. I never saw that coming. I was glad Conan was on the anti-Twitter side.

HelloStuart

[120]Feb 25, 2010

TheDiamondDog wrote:

I read news about Conan that's cool, and news I was surprised about.

Conan said he would like to do a live stage show college tour. And since I'm still in school, I could pry get discount tickets. However, would he come to my school?

I read that not long ago.

The five minutes ago, I see Conan has joined Twitter. He said it was stupid before. I never saw that coming. I was glad Conan was on the anti-Twitter side.

I'm not that big on Twitter either, but he's off to a promising start: http://twitter.com/conanobrien/

Edited on 02/25/2010 2:48pm
    Edited 2 total times.