Tonight vs Late Show

  • Avatar of beowulf579

    beowulf579

    [1]Aug 5, 2009
    • member since: 06/07/05
    • level: 59
    • rank: E-Company
    • posts: 1,241

    Early into Conan's reign the media was all over the fact that the Late Show had beaten Conan in some key demographic. Flash forward to now and I read this;

    "Conan has won 35 of 35 nights over the "late show" with original telecasts since his June 1st debut."

    So?? Was all the Letterman hype just that? Hype?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [2]Aug 5, 2009
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,156
    First of all, where is that quote from, and what's the context?

    Secondly, show comparision threads are pointless unless they're in a neutral forum. If it's the Conan forum, of course Conan will win. I'm not saying that because I'm the editor for Letterman, I'm putting my foot down because it's annoying.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [3]Aug 7, 2009
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    I agree wth HelloStuart, of course people are going to chose Conan (myself included). But between Letterman and Leno, Im beginning to think Lettermans more funny. I never thought Leno was all THAT funny but funny enough to watch and sometimes I will watch Letterman out of curiosity or because of the guests he has on now and laugh alot. But then again, I also thought Fallon was horrible when he first started and now if I watch him (I tivo it to see the guests he has on as well) and he can be funny now sometimes. I think Im just not really picky when it comes to humor though because the tiniest thing can make me laugh so. Sorry to those I offend, just stating. =)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of beowulf579

    beowulf579

    [4]Aug 7, 2009
    • member since: 06/07/05
    • level: 59
    • rank: E-Company
    • posts: 1,241
    HelloStuart wrote:
    First of all, where is that quote from, and what's the context?

    Secondly, show comparision threads are pointless unless they're in a neutral forum. If it's the Conan forum, of course Conan will win. I'm not saying that because I'm the editor for Letterman, I'm putting my foot down because it's annoying.


    Actually..it was from tv.com about a month ago. It was a comparison about how Letterman had one the 18-35 (might be wrong on the right age) age group.
    I disagree about having to have a neutral forum to discuss. After all...you are here and are giving a opinion opposite of what should be the norm.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [5]Aug 8, 2009
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,156
    beowulf579 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    First of all, where is that quote from, and what's the context?

    Secondly, show comparision threads are pointless unless they're in a neutral forum. If it's the Conan forum, of course Conan will win. I'm not saying that because I'm the editor for Letterman, I'm putting my foot down because it's annoying.


    Actually..it was from tv.com about a month ago. It was a comparison about how Letterman had one the 18-35 (might be wrong on the right age) age group.
    I disagree about having to have a neutral forum to discuss. After all...you are here and are giving a opinion opposite of what should be the norm.

    My other concern is that I'll inadvertantly start a flame war. It's like declaring your support for same-sex marriage during Sunday mass.

    As far as I know, Conan and Dave are still in gridlock. Big Red has the edge on the 18-35 demographic, while Your TV Pal has the upper hand amongst viewers age 24-49. The 12-year overlap makes it especially confusing.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of evildevil97

    evildevil97

    [6]Aug 8, 2009
    • member since: 10/03/05
    • level: 26
    • rank: Bow Flex
    • posts: 2,001
    I dont like Letterman, but he's kicking Conan's ass in the ratings right now. The real challenge will start in a month when Leno returns... Though I cant imagine it be good for Conan, unfortunately.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of GodEmperorJason

    GodEmperorJason

    [7]Sep 22, 2009
    • member since: 08/10/05
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 90
    I've always found both Leno and O'Brien funny. I tried Letterman for a week or so a while back but it wasn't for me, the only think I found funny sometimes was Top 10. Ferguson is good but Conan was better vs him. I like Conan now at 11:35 and like Jay's new show at 10. So I pretty much enjoy the current NBC lineup. I think others will come around once they get established in their new slots. Even Fallon has grown on me a lot since the premier.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [8]Oct 7, 2009
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    I wonder with the whole Letterman scandal (not that Ive been following up on it that much) if that will help Conan get more viewers. Id imagine Letterman would get more of the 40+ year old demographic than Conan does and if they get turned off by what he did then maybe theyd come over to Conans side figuring theyd need SOMETHING to kill that extra hour at night. Just a thought, lol.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [9]Oct 7, 2009
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,156
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    I wonder with the whole Letterman scandal (not that Ive been following up on it that much) if that will help Conan get more viewers. Id imagine Letterman would get more of the 40+ year old demographic than Conan does and if they get turned off by what he did then maybe theyd come over to Conans side figuring theyd need SOMETHING to kill that extra hour at night. Just a thought, lol.

    Amongst women in certain age groups? Maybe. I don't think there's going to be a major sea change. The most shocking aspect of this scandal is that the blackmailer is a producer for "48 Hours," and not the fact that Letterman was boinking his employees.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [10]Oct 7, 2009
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    HelloStuart wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    I wonder with the whole Letterman scandal (not that Ive been following up on it that much) if that will help Conan get more viewers. Id imagine Letterman would get more of the 40+ year old demographic than Conan does and if they get turned off by what he did then maybe theyd come over to Conans side figuring theyd need SOMETHING to kill that extra hour at night. Just a thought, lol.

    Amongst women in certain age groups? Maybe. I don't think there's going to be a major sea change. The most shocking aspect of this scandal is that the blackmailer is a producer for "48 Hours," and not the fact that Letterman was boinking his employees.


    Oh, I dont know...maybe because I would think of it as a big deal if I really followed the story and liked Letterman that much. If he was a politician itd be a big deal so why is it NOT a big deal because hes a tv talk show host? To me, its still bad. Isn't he married, to say the least?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [11]Oct 11, 2009
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,156
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    I wonder with the whole Letterman scandal (not that Ive been following up on it that much) if that will help Conan get more viewers. Id imagine Letterman would get more of the 40+ year old demographic than Conan does and if they get turned off by what he did then maybe theyd come over to Conans side figuring theyd need SOMETHING to kill that extra hour at night. Just a thought, lol.

    Amongst women in certain age groups? Maybe. I don't think there's going to be a major sea change. The most shocking aspect of this scandal is that the blackmailer is a producer for "48 Hours," and not the fact that Letterman was boinking his employees.


    Oh, I dont know...maybe because I would think of it as a big deal if I really followed the story and liked Letterman that much. If he was a politician itd be a big deal so why is it NOT a big deal because hes a tv talk show host? To me, its still bad. Isn't he married, to say the least?

    Most of these indiscretions occured before Dave and Regina got married. In his testimony, Letterman stated that he had a physical relationship with Stephanie Birkett from 2000 to 2003, then broke it off when Regina got pregnant.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of xyzlug

    xyzlug

    [12]Jan 16, 2010
    • member since: 03/09/07
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 79

    I usually watch Dave but when he's on vacation I used to switched to Conan and I liked some of his stuff.

    I have a problem getting good reception with NBC (I have to turn the rabbit-ears around) but Fox and CBS are no problem - so maybe with Conan on Fox and Dave on vacation I can watch more Conan.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of snake63

    snake63

    [13]Jan 17, 2010
    • member since: 10/19/03
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 322
    We are witnessing a new era in late night entertainment. Letterman and Leno are yesterday. I believe that the new champ will be George Lopez.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [14]Jan 18, 2010
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,156
    snake63 wrote:
    We are witnessing a new era in late night entertainment. Letterman and Leno are yesterday. I believe that the new champ will be George Lopez.

    *chuckles* We'll see about that.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of xyzlug

    xyzlug

    [15]Jan 21, 2010
    • member since: 03/09/07
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 79

    Another thought on "Tonight vs Late Show" is that Conan had to compete with both Dave Letterman and Jay Leno. With Jay Leno on at 10 and his loyal fans tuning in, the daily jokes had been used up. Ofcourse Conan was used to following Jay - but then Conan was up against Dave Letterman. Conan had a tough job; it wasn't a good deal to have him follow Jay Leno. And now Leno's back - I thought Conan got the Tonight Show because Jay was losing viewers.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TheDiamondDog

    TheDiamondDog

    [16]Jan 21, 2010
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 61
    • rank: Gold Monkey
    • posts: 19,860

    I originally thought Conan got TTS cause Jay wanted to retire. Never knew he was forced to.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [17]Jan 21, 2010
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

    I originally thought Conan got TTS cause Jay wanted to retire. Never knew he was forced to.


    Well sort of. Conan wanted TTS and in order to appease him they just sort of said "wait 5 years, Jay will retire by then". So Conan stuck around for 5 years and passed up offers for other networks in the meantime. In order to save face, Jay made it sound like he was going to retire instead of saying "Im getting canned in 5 years". Now 5 years later he gets TTS and Jays like "well..I dont really want to retire.." so Zucker came up with the Jay Leno Show. Now because Lenos doing so badly instead of just axing him at all HE gets rewarded with TTS instead of Conan who truly deserves it. Lenos ratings werent great the first 2 years of TTS when he took over for Carson but he had 2 years to overcome that. Not to mention, 3/7 months were summer months and shows always dont do the greatest during the summer because people are on vacation or doing other things besides sitting inside watching tv. I think they wanted Conan 5 years ago and then realized it was a mistake 5 years later and set him up for failure from the start hoping this would happen. I remember reading something from Zucker or Ebersol or one of those horrible NBC guys that said he basically told Leno to stick around because in 3-4 months he will have his old job back, so they were planning this for a while. I think thats where Letterman got his "If your show isnt doing well, go get another show- even my show! Dont just sit there and wait around in the lobby like 'hey guys Ill be here if you need me!'" speech. Ive really come to find what a $%^% Jay is through all this. I always thought with Letterman the bitterness was always just jealously but now Im starting to see the light, really. Anyway thats enough of my rants lol.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of xyzlug

    xyzlug

    [18]Jan 23, 2010
    • member since: 03/09/07
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 79

    It's good to hear that Andy and Conan can be found on the Animal Planet in the future.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of GolfDude825

    GolfDude825

    [19]Jan 23, 2010
    • member since: 02/15/04
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 595
    it was a joke... they didnt mean that for real
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of stellarchick86

    stellarchick86

    [20]Jan 23, 2010
    • member since: 10/04/07
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 10,124
    GolfDude825 wrote:
    it was a joke... they didnt mean that for real

    LMAO. Yes, and Conan will be at the nearest 7/11 as well.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.