TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

What happened to Joel?

twentymooseman

[1]Jun 2, 2009
    • level: 3
    Joel was alway incorporated into the show so well, is he coming back?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

thecomedianky

[2]Jun 2, 2009
    • level: 19
    twentymooseman wrote:
    Joel was alway incorporated into the show so well, is he coming back?
    andy is the new announcer

Ferrovax

[3]Jun 2, 2009
    • level: 6
    You just asking this now? where have you been these last few weeks?

TheDiamondDog

[4]Jun 3, 2009
    • level: 61
    I heard that Joel will be the new announcer for SNL.

evildevil97

[5]Jun 3, 2009
    • level: 26
    TheDiamondDog wrote:
    Source?

HelloStuart

[6]Jun 4, 2009
    • level: 63
    evildevil97 wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

Source?

Right now, it's just a rumor. The only thing we can say for sure is that Joel didn't want to move to LA; he walked away from Conan on his own terms.

TheDiamondDog

[7]Jun 5, 2009

HelloStuart wrote:
    evildevil97 wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:
    Source?
    Right now, it's just a rumor. The only thing we can say for sure is that Joel didn't want to move to LA; he walked away from Conan on his own terms.

I dunno why, but I found it quite surprising that so many people that worked on the show wanted to relocate.

evildevil97

[8]Jun 6, 2009
    • level: 26
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    evildevil97 wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:
    Source?

I dunno why, but I found it quite surprising that so many people that worked on the show wanted to relocate.

I think The Tonight Show brand has a lot to do with it. As far as my understanding is, that's the most revered brand of late night talk show in America. And it probably isn't just a raise for Conan either. I'm sure most of the crew got an increase in pay for the gig. On Howard Stern the day the show debuted, Andy Richter mentioned he's getting paid more now than he was at the time he left.

Also, I don't like how Joel's name keeps getting thrown around as SNL announcer, as if it's a fact. I'm aware it's nothing more than a rumour. But saying it as if there's any evidence of it happening seems like it's misleading. Since there are people who seem to be pretty upset over Joel's absense from the Tonight Show, it seems pretty rude to say he's going to be SNL's announcer, just by rumour alone. I might be looking too far into it, and for that I apologise (especialy if I come across like a jerk here), but it's just the feeling I get out of it.

HelloStuart

[9]Jun 6, 2009
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    evildevil97 wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:
    Source?

Actually, it's called "keeping your job in a down economy."

Though Joel is out of the picture, I doubt he's the only LNwCOB staffer that didn't fly out to LA. Didn't one writer jump over to Fallon?

stellarchick86

[10]Jun 8, 2009
    • level: 32
    Yeah I liked Joel more as an announcer and I liked the little things Conan did with Joel more (like the homophobic crap) than with Andy, but we'll see how it goes.

HelloStuart

[11]Jun 8, 2009
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    Yeah I liked Joel more as an announcer and I liked the little things Conan did with Joel more (like the homophobic crap) than with Andy, but we'll see how it goes.

I don't know if I would call Joel's on-stage alter ego homophobic. After all, he was by far the most visible "rice queen" on television. Sexual deviant, yes, but not anti-Gay.

TheDiamondDog

[12]Jun 8, 2009

stellarchick86 wrote:

I'm not really that big of a fan of the banter between Conan and Andy. Though I do miss the awkward talks between Conan and Max, I will miss Joel's bits on the show. Some of that was rather shocking to me. I remember having OMG reactions to some of that stuff.

avmon

[13]Jun 8, 2009
    • level: 16
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

stellarchick86 wrote:

I'm not really that big of a fan of the banter between Conan and Andy. Though I do miss the awkward talks between Conan and Max, I will miss Joel's bits on the show. Some of that was rather shocking to me. I remember having OMG reactions to some of that stuff.

I loved seeing Conan and Andy revive the "In the Year 2000 (now 3000)" bit. I wonder if they're gonna revive the bit where they stare at each other while people in front of them do weird stuff next...

HelloStuart

[14]Jun 9, 2009
    avmon wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

stellarchick86 wrote:

I loved seeing Conan and Andy revive the "In the Year 2000 (now 3000)" bit. I wonder if they're gonna revive the bit where they stare at each other while people in front of them do weird stuff next...

You mean the staring contests? I guess that makes two of us.

stellarchick86

[15]Jun 10, 2009
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

Yes- exactly! Thats what I was trying to say but it came out weird lol. Yea, me too

HelloStuart wrote:

I don't know if I would call Joel's on-stage alter ego homophobic. After all, he was by far the most visible "rice queen" on television. Sexual deviant, yes, but not anti-Gay.

I mean more like when Joel would say something about boys/men/etc and Conan would be like "ooooh!!" that kinda thing. Joel was kinda creepy, but it was funny. Andys just...I just dont find him funny (yet) lol. I didnt watch the show when he used to be on or whatever so maybe thats why Im not as fond of him as some others are.

TheDiamondDog

[16]Jun 11, 2009

stellarchick86 wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:
    Yes- exactly! Thats what I was trying to say but it came out weird lol. Yea, me too
    HelloStuart wrote:
    I mean more like when Joel would say something about boys/men/etc and Conan would be like "ooooh!!" that kinda thing. Joel was kinda creepy, but it was funny. Andys just...I just dont find him funny (yet) lol. I didnt watch the show when he used to be on or whatever so maybe thats why Im not as fond of him as some others are.

On Conan's 10 Year Anniversary DVD, Andy did have some funny bits where he'd go on location. Like when he went to Woodstock 99. But I wasn't watching when he was on either. I'm just not used to the whole sidekick thing.

stellarchick86

[17]Jun 11, 2009
    TheDiamondDog wrote:
    On Conan's 10 Year Anniversary DVD, Andy did have some funny bits where he'd go on location. Like when he went to Woodstock 99. But I wasn't watching when he was on either. I'm just not used to the whole sidekick thing.

Oh, ok, thanks. And yeah me either..unless Max counts lol.

HelloStuart

[18]Jun 12, 2009
    stellarchick86 wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

Oh, ok, thanks. And yeah me either..unless Max counts lol.

At one point, Conan was grooming Joel to be his sidekick, but their rapport was lacking at best.

Even so, Andy is like a semi-sidekick. He's not sitting next or near Conan like he did back in the '90s.

insinity

[19]Jun 13, 2009
    • level: 40

IMO, so far, it ain't really working. There's no chemistry, no synergy, no flow between them. It all seems too artificial and I think they're trying too hard to make it work instead of finding their own new style together.

With Max things were already so natural that even in these weeks whenever they have the slightest dialog, look exchange, whatever, it just works.

I think Conan, Jeff Ross and Mike Sweeney are too smart to insist in an idea that could hinder the show. If that's the case I hope Andy's ego can take the step back on being 'just' the announcer.

Let's see how things evolve. Maybe in 6 months this won't be an issue at all.

Edited on 06/13/2009 6:37pm

TheDiamondDog

[20]Jun 14, 2009
    insinity wrote:

Let's see how things evolve. Maybe in 6 months this won't be an issue at all.

Ditto.