The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien

Will Ferrell, Pearl Jam

Aired Weekdays 11:35 PM Jun 01, 2009 on NBC

• The pilot.

After three months on the sidelines popular comedian Conan O'Brien returned to the airwaves to host The Tonight Show. Unfortunately, outside of his hair, you could barely tell it was him. He made a Clippers joke! A Clippers joke!

I get that he will have to cover more topical humor on this program, heck, I was never a big fan of Conan to begin with, but based on this monologue it looks like he is selling out big time. Will Ferrell and Pearl Jam offered nothing, and Andy Richter went from a funny comedian to an even more annoying Paul Schaffer. I'm sorry, this did not suck me in.
  • Conan is back :)

At long last, Conan is back and this first episode was great and entertaining. The man did not end up hosting the "Tonight Show" by sheer luck. He is a funny, talented and charismatic host (about everything Jimmy Fallon is not!) and will tune in every night for sure. The opening clip from this episode is quite original and funny and the rest of the show lived up to my expectations with Will Ferrell as the first guest. Max Weinberg and the Tonight Show band are here to support Conan, you don't change a great team.

Welcome back Conan, I missed your funny hair!
  • Not a bad start! Needs time.

Anyone who was critical of the first episode (and specifically the clip jokes) of the Tonight Show with Conan Obrien needs to remember how lame Jay Leno's monologue jokes and clips often were. The second to last episode of Jay with City Slicker Billy Crystal was so painfully unfunny. Jimmy Fallon is continually crashing and burning even with The Roots as his house band- I think we can all give Conan a chance. I'll admit that the clip of him running cross country wore on me, but after that I could appreciate his confidence and comfortableness in the role and have hopes that he will warm up to the new show and all its expectations pretty quickly.