The Tonight Show with Jay Leno

Ann Coulter; George Carlin; K.T. Tunstall

Aired Weekdays 11:35 PM Jun 14, 2006 on NBC

• I can't believe I believed the hype. When I found out that ultra liberal Carlin was going to be on with ultra conservative Coulter, I just knew blows and jibes would be thrown about and Leno would play referee. What happened?

4.2
    Absolutely nothing. As a liberal, I wanted Carlin to rant a bit. I mean, after all, it was his 140th appearance on the show - I think he would have had just cause. Coulter is an interesting subject in our pop culture TODAY. Tomorrow, I won't know her if she came up to me and asked me if I'd autograph a copy of MY book for her. I don't pay attention to people like her usually, but she can make interesting television and this episode just didn't deliver what I thought it would. It was a step down for a minute for one of my favorite shows. Carlin's schtick was a numero uno (as usual) during his stand up routine and Leno's opening monologue always brings a smile to my face. The most disturbing thing this episode showed me is that this is exactly what this country is about - over zealous conservatives speaking their peace and liberals (who used to speak up so avidly) just sitting back and getting quieter and squirmier. This is why the Conservative Reds are taking over the Liberal Blues from every edge of this great land of ours. And they say people like me are scary? No. People like Coulter scare me and now, so do people like Carlin. When will it ever end? Not on Leno, I guess.