The Tonight Show with Jay Leno

NBC (ended 2014)

last_hurrah

The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Fan Reviews (77)

• Leno is as lame as it gets, There's a reason why Letterman was asked to do the appreciation for Johnny Carson at the 2005 Emmys.

0.1
    Leno has made the Tonight Show synonymous with the sound of gaping chest wounds. Lame is a term that also comes to mind; there's a reason why Doc Severinsen paid his tributes to Carson on Letterman. Dave Stewart wasn't making any statements of homage to chinboy when he went up to accept his richly deserved awards on emmy night.
    At least the suitboys at NBC finally got their heads pulled out of their lower digestive tracts long enough to make sure they didn't repeat their mistake by making sure to sign up and line up Conan ahead of time.
  • Leno is the only joke on the tonight show

if you have a brain injury or have no sense of humor or just the sense of humor of someone in their 70s then this is the show for you. Retire Leno you've done enough damage
  • jay leno sucks!

i would rate this show o.o if i could. If you can at all avoid this show, DO! you'll have a better life if you do! watching Jay Leno is like tieing myself to a car and then letting it dragg me down the road causing my face to rubb completly off! watching Jay Leno is like turning on the TV and then this blast of light shoots out of it causing you to go blind and making your nose bleed excessively! watching Jay Leno...well you get the drift! avoid this show at all times if humanly possible! it has brought nothing NOTHING to this world in the form of enjoyment or entertainment! thanks!
  • LAME

Leno used to be a funny comedian when he was a guest on Late Night With David Letterman. He was funny when Letterman talked Carson into letting his friend Guest Host The Tonight Show. But since he stole the Tonight Show from Letterman, he has STUNK IT UP. To begin with, Leno steals most of his bits from David Letterman and Howard Stern. He isn't a funny comedian anymore whereas he's dumbed down his comedy. He is a total disgrace calling himself the host of the Tonight Show after such a great entertainer was pushed out by Leno's evil manager. His interviews are nothing but fluff and butt-kissing, his comedy bits are stolen and his monologue is tired and stupid. I understand that people think he's funny and he's original because they've never seen(or understood) Letterman or Stern's work but trust me when he replaces his announcer with John "The Stutterer" from the Howard Stern show and he steals every writer he can from Jon Stewart, Dennis Miller and Arsenio Hall, that shows that he proves himself to be a giant lame paranoid dunce. Does anyone remember his policy with guests? Where he wouldn't let them do the Tonight Show if they did any of the competition's shows? Lame, Unfunny, Unoriginal and just plain bad. Leno Sucks indeed.
  • Running on empty

1.1
    Jay has lost his lustre for doing this show, it's very clear. He used to at least fake it but he's not even trying that any more. How much longer do we have to put up with him being mean to his guests and the people in the audience? I hate when he insults people who give up their day to be in his audience, only to be told their clothes look bad. How does he get off saying that? If he didn't have a costumer he'd look like that too. He's just not funny any more. Bring on Conan!
  • The Mildly Interesting thing up there doesn't match but is the closet to the truth. The Skits are halarious but the interveiws are boring.

2.1
    His interviews are so boring! It's like he is having a chat with them about the weather. I would rather watch the channels that shows just static and a loud noise and I would put the volume to the max rather than go over the chanel while it's on for a second. BUT his producer have some nice stuff in the sketch where they go though newpapersand ads. The thing when they find typos or strange things in articales and newspaper are hilarious. But finally the end music is gay. I would rather have nails nailed into my head than listen to that. Here is my list of bad things in his show.

1. His Interviews are boring as hell.
    2. The bands (like most late night show) suck.
    3. The end music is like elevator music.
    4. A not funny relationship with his band.
    5. He has idiotic questons for his guests.

Not that much against him but stil its big for me
    and other people as well. If you are a fan fine. But new people to the show, don't say i didn't warn you. DON'T listen to the interveiwa no matter who the guest is. Unless it is Will Farell. He's funny. See his movies. There good. Not Elf though. That sucked.
  • Lenno is not funny. The drummer is annoying. Connan is this show's only hope.

2.5
    Lenno is not funny and he has very poor delivery. He constantly makes jokes that fail and I do not understand how he has come so far. Lenno needs to learn to not laugh at his own jokes even though they are not funny. The drummer in the show is absolutely annoying and constantly chimes in when no one cares. His laugh is also annoying. The only funny part of this show is the monologue which is the writer's work, not Lenno himself. I cannot wait until Connan takes over this show and maybe he can help it out. Until then, I will never watch the boring show.
  • NBC lost it's mind announcing way too early that Conan O'Brien will be taking over the Tonight Show. If it wasn't for the money, surely Jay Leno wouldn't have stood for such humiliation. His interviews are no better than tabloid trash and gossip rags.

2.5
    NBC executives must be among the least honorable group of people ever given any authority what so ever! That bunch made one of the biggest blunders in television history not to allow David Letterman to transition into Johnny Carson's shoes with the Tonight Show. Once again, they show their lack of diplomatic skills by announcing that Conan will soon take over Leno. In many respects I don't fault them for getting rid of Leno as soon as possible.

His interviews have become almost salacious as his ending draws near. The manner in which he seems so intent on gleaning information about the guest's personal life and especially their marital status is most distasteful.

He particularly pries into the personal life of his single guests. He reminds you of that nosy aunt that is always trying to fix you up if you happen to be single. His constant yammering about when someone is going to get married, etc. borders on pathological. I won't be sorry to see him go.
  • Jay Leno-OK

3.2
    Borat was boring. Borat was boorish. I loved his movie but his jokes on the Tonite show were lame. What worked as a movie and was beyond anything witnessed on the big screen before got old on the small screen. Borat\\\'s joke about the game show with the 5 women getting pregnant wasn\\\'t offensive, lead edge or even amusing. It was simply not funny. If I was to laugh at that I would have to work at thinking it was funny instead of being caught off guard and enjoying it. His constant trying to play to the audience as a favored son who is somewhat childish but loved for his exuberance is old. If this is the persona he believes will continue his run to the bank I think America will pan his flash fairly quickly. Borat!wake up! Find a new schtick! Kudos to Jay for trying to deal with an idiot carrying his \\\'concept\\\' too long.
  • Leno hosts the worst and unfortunatly #1 talk show on Late Night TV.

3.5
    I don't understand the humor in the show, I really don't think there is any but it still finishs ahead of Dave which is a damn shame because his show is much better. First of his personality amounts to the sum of zero and his band leader Kevin simply laughs at anything Jay has to say. His monolouge isn't funny and monica lewinsky jokes are still common place on his show. Headlines and Jay-Walkin are the only funny segments he does when he gets to the dask and when he has anyone else go wonderin the streets the result is not funny. He also can't interview anyone at all, his guest sit there and have to do all the work themselves. Hopefully people will soon begin to see how funny he really is and turn away before he leaves us all (thankfully) in 2009.
  • Jay Leno - Vacationer in Chief.

I thought Johnny took a lot of vacations. Jay is the chief. At least Johnny would have a sub. Having old shows as a substitute is ridiculous. Dumb jokes that are dated just do not work.

As much as I can not take Letterman, it is better than jokes that are no longer relevant.
  • For God\'s sake ,man ,change the repertoir!

I don\'t know how this guy managed to be so popular ,after all this time. I mean same jokes over and over again - Bill Clinton ,Britney Spears ,Michael Jackson...boring! Change the subject! If something is interesting in this show ,it\'s not Leno. Those funny clips like Jaywalk are sometimes funny ,but they are humiliating people ;those Stuffs We Found On E-Bay is OK ,so are the Headlines. But please ,either make Leno come up with some new jokes or give him the boot. It\'s maybe funny when you watch it for the first time ,but soon you realise that you have other interesting ways to spend night.
  • The host with the most, but of what?

4.5
    2009, like 1993 before it, will go down as a transitional and somewhat tumultuous year in late night television. In late February, Conan O'Brien stepped down as host of Late Night and passed the reins to doe-eyed talk show neophyte Jimmy Fallon, and three months later Jay Leno left the Tonight Show to make way for Conan. This domino effect spills over into prime time, where Leno will launch a new-but-more-or-less-the-same one-hour chatfest in September. This was not something that happened overnight, but rather a heavily orchestrated event strategized by the executives of NBC. Apparently, when you've been the #4 network for five years running, you're not as afraid to throw crap at a wall and see what sticks. Leno's new show is a rare attempt at prime-time block programming, a do-or-die move that The Peacock hopes will turn around their fortunes as well as retain one of the network's longtime cash-cows. Nonetheless, is Jay Leno all that he's cracked up to be?

With all due apologies to his fans, I must nitpick Leno's apparent status as a living legend. A proven TV star and a team player, yes, though far from a legend. First of all, he wasn't an innovator like David Letterman, nor does he have a distinctive style like Conan O'Brien. Jay borrowed heavily from Steve Allen's ringmaster approach to hosting TTS, with a dashes of Rodney Dangerfield and Johnny Carson thrown in for good measure. Secondly, Leno catered heavily toward middle America and let his pandering chip away at his comedic credibility in the process. I fully understand that Wade the Nebraskan pig farmer could use a good laugh just as much as the average college graduate, yet Leno's paltry turnout at the Emmy Awards speaks levels of his reluctance to get creative. Compared to Letterman, Leno's audience skews toward the 50-plus, the lily-white, and the bourgeoisie. At his worst, Leno is as flavorful as vanilla and as hip as prune juice. There's no question that Jay is a nice guy, nor do I doubt that he has a large circle of friends and well-wishers, but some of his recent accolades are over the top.

I don't feel that there's any need to elaborate on Leno's so-so (and often patronizing) interviewing skills, so I'll focus on the comedy. "Jaywalking," Leno's self-appointed signature bit, was little more than an excuse for twenty-something California hipsters to deliberately flub simple questions, fully knowing that Jay was interrogating them and they could nab their 15 minutes of fame. "Headlines," arguably his second-most beloved comedy segment, is a thinly-veiled variation on "Small Town News," a bit that David Letterman created on Late Night in the '80s and revived 20+ years later.

Although both of those bits had their moments, I grind my axe at his nightly monologue. Sure, the opening remarks are a hoary old prerequisite for any talk show host worth their salt, but Leno's might be the most egregiously banal. For 17 years, the Leno Jokebot 3000 has spat out one obvious joke after another, aimed squarely at a select list of targets: Bill Clinton, Monica Lewinsky, Dr. Jack Kervorkian, Michael Jackson, and George W. Bush. Kevin Eubanks, Leno's doting bandleader since the mid-90s, guffaws the loudest and hardest at these inoffensive one-liners, almost as if his paycheck depends upon it. In short, Leno's monologue has always been a curious sight to behold, intermittently entertaining yet drenched in obsequiousness.

This brings me to my final point: did NBC make a mistake in selecting Leno over Letterman to replace Johnny Carson? The short answer is yes and no. While The Peacock would certainly have a few more Emmys on their shelves, Dave's latent irreverance and my-way-or-the-highway approach would've clashed with potential advertisers (not a total exaggeration). Leno was the safe choice, a guy who could bend over backwards for the network higher-ups and put on a show without being a prima-donna. Letterman may be your TV pal; however, Leno is your goofy uncle, the clean-cut Working Joe, the guy that cracks wise in the church parking lot, the everyman that you can't help but like and admire. Jay Leno is a creation of middle America, and if it works for them, I guess I can't bewail that.
  • TO MANY POLITIC TALK

4.7
    I used to like watching this show , but ever since the big war in Iraq and 911 I just cant seem to watch this show. Its hard enough that we have to go daily with watching terrible news , and hear about our friends that are fighting in the war or the many other POLITICS we deal with on a daily basis. But when I watch tv I like to watch FUNNY tv to help me relax after work and go to sleep being happy not thinking about POLITICS after POLITICS ...

Thats all really. If he wouldnt talk about war all the time I would watch him again.
  • Love Jay...hate spanish subtitles...another show I will not be watching any more.

Jay Leno is great love to watch but since the Spanish subtitles...no way. The official language of the US is English...those who wish to listen in Spanish can set the Menu under language for spanish...then we all will be able to listen and watch. Until subtitles are gone...I will be watching another show on another station. Good Bye
  • still funnier than dave

i heard it said that jay will be stepping down in the next couple of years. that sounds like a really good idea to me. this show is stil a decent late night talk show, but it seems like the same old stuff over and over. i do not think that anyone who replaces jay will help it either.
  • I don't get why you would watch an act as hackneyed and boring as Leno's when Letterman is on at the same time. This show lacks any true creative spark.

Either you are with Leno or Letterman. I tend to fall into the Letterman camp. I used to watch Leno though.

I found his sketches to be REALLY cheesy. I mean, some of that is expected for a late night show. But Leno's lack of acting skill is just too much to handle. And Kevin Eubanks doesn't seem to have much personality for a band leader/sidekick--just kind of sits there and laughs at all of Leno's lame jokes.

The comedy of this program feels routine to me. Nothing new or interesting. Letterman (at least back in his prime) and O'Brien for that matter feel like they're doing more to push the envelope and try new things. I've never seen Leno expiriment like that.

If you like Leno, you'll like this show. But do yourself a favor and see what else is out there. With cable now, there's much better stuff to fill your time even at 11:30 at night.
  • Leno, why did you even thought of becoming a comediant in the first place?!

5.5
    Why did Leno even wanted to become a comediant, I mean, he knows how to interview the celebreties and I think he could have been a good reporter or journalist, but his jokes are so bad, stupid and obvious. And he looks like if he's dead, without moving or doing good impressions like Conan. The band's lead guitarrist (srry I dont remember his name) just stupidly laughs at every thing that Leno says. But it's not all bad about The Tonight Show With Jay Leno, no, in fact there are a few things that are funny, for example the Jaywalking and some of those specials that you have some famous guy as the reporter are pretty funny. And Leno has all the celebreties of the moment on his show and the bands are more well known than Conan's bands, wich makes The Tonight Show more popular than all those other talk shows. So overall, The Tonight Show is still a good show, but it's ruinned by the host, cause Jay Leno is just not a worthy replacer of the allmighty Johnny Carson.
    A decent show, but I recommend you watch Late Night with Conan O'brien instead.
  • Sick of Knocking Obama' S ACA.

Hey Leno give it a rest. You done it so much last week that they dedicated a page on fb about you knocking the president's ACA. Enough is enough. Every new program has its glitches just like GW Bush's Medicare part D did, You are not helping the president, in fact you are ONLY MAKING IT WORSE. GIVE IT A DAM REST.
  • Jay Leno...blah!

First, let me compliment Jay Leno for his great opening monologues. They are witty and current and are better than any other late night talk show hosts' opening monologues, including Conan O'Brien. that said, I can honestly say that Jay Leno has brought "The Tonight Show" down to an almost unsavable level. His interviews are just boring and he never seems to get anything out of the guests. When an A-list guest comes on your show and they have a juicy piece of gossip that is just begging to be discussed, Jay, at best, will skirt the issue. Come on, Jay, you can do better than that.
  • Mediocre programming at best.

I'll admit, I used to watch "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" frequently in the past (early teen years), but then I began to realize how dull it truly is. I don't watch it anymore for the most part because Leno's jokes just plain aren't funny. They have the same kind of structure and punchlines, and the man's presence annoys me. On occasion, I'll tune it to see a certain guest or two, but even that sometimes isn't worth staying up for. As of recently, I've found myself watching the show several times a week, maybe out of boredom, but I guess this show's still okay. It's reasonably adequate late night filler.
  • Every weekday night Jay Leno fills this hour long show with jokes, interviews and music with the assistance of his side kick Kevin and announcer Ed Melendez.

This show is generally dull and unentertaining. It is painful to listen Jay deliver his monologue. We get it "Michael Jackson is Creepy" and "Paris Hilton is a Whore" how much more do we have to hear it. However, there are some bright spots sometimes a contributor will come up with some good material or a guest will be surprisingly entertaining. The best part of the show every night is when Jay say's "Stay tuned for Conan."
  • Jay Leno is an ok show with a few good bits, but there is better Shows on at the same time

6.2
    This used to be one of my favorite shows to watch, but after a while th jokes get repetetive. The show starts with a boring monologue, where there are a few good jokes that he repeats over and over, and sometimes in different ways. the stuff he does after the monologue is rarely funny, some of his best are headlines on monday, and jaywalking, then theres guests and musical guests which can be sometimes interesting.
  • Good but not as good as Conan

I like Leno but sometimes the skits arent very funny. I dont like the ones like "[insert name here] goes to [insert name here]". I like Jib Jab, Headlines, 99 Cent items, Ebay and the fake items. The Monolouge is slightly better than Conans [but Conan isnt on as long for it] and joking about the band always being stoned is funny[Much like Conan does to his band]. But he isnt a good interviewer. I like Leno and I will keep watching it and I cant wait till 2009 when Coney takes over.
  • In summary, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno doesnt have anything on Kemmel, Ferguson, or Conan. However, I think his show is better than Letterman's.

the Tonight Show with Jay Leno is ok. However, I wouldn't classify it as one of the best late shows out there. Why do he need a drum after his corny jokes. That is so old. However, I do like to seen hm though. Leno's funny- shape sometimes makes me laugh. I do like his segments though and he does interview some guest that are interesting to me. However, one thing I don't like is how he always get racial with Kevin Eubanks. Talking about this is a white man suit and this and that is what white men do.
  • Not as good as Letterman, Conan or Jon Stewart. About on par with Kimmel and Ferguson to be honest...

I just can't get into this show! Gags and skits are unfunny and the interviews are about as boring as John Kerry's speeches! On the bright side, Leno's monolouge usually is pretty good, but that is because he was a stand up comedian. The house band is pretty good too, although they don't make good "sidekicks" like the Max Weinberg 7 does on Late Night. The problem is that Leno's decent hosting abilities are weighed down by everyone else on the show. If NBC cared, they'd surround Jay with better people, but now that he's retiring in 2009, why bother? Decent watching if Letterman and the Colbert Report are reruns I guess.
  • I used to love this show...

7.3
    But now, lately I've been watching Letterman. I never dreamed I would like David Letterman's show more than Jay Leno's. At first I would stay up for the whole show, then I only stayed up for the skits, then I switched to Letterman and watched just the headlines. Now I can't even bring myself to switch to his show during commercials! I can't stand the way he interviews his guests, he's like a vulture sometimes. At least Letterman will get the audience some laughs out of picking on his guests! I hope when Conan replaces him it will be worth watching...
  • The legendary American late night TV show. A host, a live audience, a band, and guests are a proven formula for keeping night owls entertained.

Jay Leno has done a very respectable job of carrying the late night torch with dignity and humor. True he never "reinvented the wheel" but there is only so much you can do with a wheel. Late night talk shows succeed when they stay simple. Give us a solid host, a rocking band, a happy audience, and interesting guests and you have success. Jay leno seems like an incredibly nice guy. Yes, his humor is not edgy but middle America seems to love him as do his guests. It will be interesting to see what he does when Conan takes over because Jay will still be relatively young. The tonight show is one of the last remaining cornerstones of classic television in the modern era and it still entertains!
  • A talk show with Jay and celebrities. How much more can I summarise it?

I like this show. Sure it has the occasional joke that bombs, they like making fun of certain things was too much, and some of the guests aren't that interesting, but I still find it funny.

I think the reason the show works is because of Jay Leno himself. He has a nice charm about himself that makes him fun to watch, and the banter between him and Kevin can be hilarious.

A lot of people complain about how a lot of his jokes aren't funny. Well, you have to understand this guy is on stage almost every night of the week and is forced to try and find fresh material. The great thing is, he succeeds most of the time.

I usually try and catch at least the first half of the show, only because by then the celebrities come on and they're usually annoying.
  • I can stay up late to wacth the Show

7.6
    I don't usally like to stay up late at night but when I do its nice to have Jay's show to wacth its informative and entertaining and can be an exciting show to wacth late at night I like the show and the news too and Jay seems like a super nice guy plus the show keeps aa good pace of things to stay up late at night to wacth and it helps making falling asleep again to wacth the show late at night I like how the people in the show come across. I hope my review makes some sense
< 1 2 3