The Tonight Show with Jay Leno

NBC (ended 2014)

foolishtv

The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Fan Reviews (77)

• Lenno is not funny. The drummer is annoying. Connan is this show's only hope.

2.5
    Lenno is not funny and he has very poor delivery. He constantly makes jokes that fail and I do not understand how he has come so far. Lenno needs to learn to not laugh at his own jokes even though they are not funny. The drummer in the show is absolutely annoying and constantly chimes in when no one cares. His laugh is also annoying. The only funny part of this show is the monologue which is the writer's work, not Lenno himself. I cannot wait until Connan takes over this show and maybe he can help it out. Until then, I will never watch the boring show.
  • Leno is as lame as it gets, There's a reason why Letterman was asked to do the appreciation for Johnny Carson at the 2005 Emmys.

0.1
    Leno has made the Tonight Show synonymous with the sound of gaping chest wounds. Lame is a term that also comes to mind; there's a reason why Doc Severinsen paid his tributes to Carson on Letterman. Dave Stewart wasn't making any statements of homage to chinboy when he went up to accept his richly deserved awards on emmy night.
    At least the suitboys at NBC finally got their heads pulled out of their lower digestive tracts long enough to make sure they didn't repeat their mistake by making sure to sign up and line up Conan ahead of time.
  • NBC lost it's mind announcing way too early that Conan O'Brien will be taking over the Tonight Show. If it wasn't for the money, surely Jay Leno wouldn't have stood for such humiliation. His interviews are no better than tabloid trash and gossip rags.

2.5
    NBC executives must be among the least honorable group of people ever given any authority what so ever! That bunch made one of the biggest blunders in television history not to allow David Letterman to transition into Johnny Carson's shoes with the Tonight Show. Once again, they show their lack of diplomatic skills by announcing that Conan will soon take over Leno. In many respects I don't fault them for getting rid of Leno as soon as possible.

His interviews have become almost salacious as his ending draws near. The manner in which he seems so intent on gleaning information about the guest's personal life and especially their marital status is most distasteful.

He particularly pries into the personal life of his single guests. He reminds you of that nosy aunt that is always trying to fix you up if you happen to be single. His constant yammering about when someone is going to get married, etc. borders on pathological. I won't be sorry to see him go.
  • Leno, why did you even thought of becoming a comediant in the first place?!

5.5
    Why did Leno even wanted to become a comediant, I mean, he knows how to interview the celebreties and I think he could have been a good reporter or journalist, but his jokes are so bad, stupid and obvious. And he looks like if he's dead, without moving or doing good impressions like Conan. The band's lead guitarrist (srry I dont remember his name) just stupidly laughs at every thing that Leno says. But it's not all bad about The Tonight Show With Jay Leno, no, in fact there are a few things that are funny, for example the Jaywalking and some of those specials that you have some famous guy as the reporter are pretty funny. And Leno has all the celebreties of the moment on his show and the bands are more well known than Conan's bands, wich makes The Tonight Show more popular than all those other talk shows. So overall, The Tonight Show is still a good show, but it's ruinned by the host, cause Jay Leno is just not a worthy replacer of the allmighty Johnny Carson.
    A decent show, but I recommend you watch Late Night with Conan O'brien instead.
  • Jay Leno...blah!

First, let me compliment Jay Leno for his great opening monologues. They are witty and current and are better than any other late night talk show hosts' opening monologues, including Conan O'Brien. that said, I can honestly say that Jay Leno has brought "The Tonight Show" down to an almost unsavable level. His interviews are just boring and he never seems to get anything out of the guests. When an A-list guest comes on your show and they have a juicy piece of gossip that is just begging to be discussed, Jay, at best, will skirt the issue. Come on, Jay, you can do better than that.
  • Jay Leno is the comic Everyman. Funny, witty, and playful and never mean. Jay Leno is a class act.

Jay Leno is the Everyman. Remarkable, considering how fantastically wealthy he has become. Despite his wealth and fame, Leno has managed to retain the persona of the wry, smirking Everyman.

I have to admit, when I was a teenager I preferred Letterman's more biting sarcasm. But as I grew into adulthood I found I preferred Leno's more gentle and good-natured humor. I think Letterman also became a good bit meaner, and at times nasty, over the years, but it's hard to tell.

For whatever reason, I feel Leno's humor has held up better over the years. He's clever and witty without being mean and dirty. Leno clearly likes people. He likes Americans, with all of our faults and all of our silly insecurities. Leno is always laughing with us and not at us.

Leno is not a cutting edge comedian. He's not leveling withering sarcasm at America. Rather, he's a comfortable presence and delivers, day-in and day-out, good-natured ribbing of America and our imperfections. There's always a caring twinkle in Leno's eye,and that's why he's been welcome in America's family rooms for so long.
  • The king of late night.

I caught on to Jay during his time on prime time, and he has been my favorite comedian since. Why everyone is suddenly hating him is beyond me; the situation at NBC was unavoidable with all around bad ratings, and they went with the guy who brings in better ratings, which is Leno. Now, before all you Conan fans start hating on me, I like Conan too, but I prefer Jay.

Moving on, as with every comedy program, especially daily ones, some episodes are funnier than others. I must say I liked The Jay Leno show more with it's more-comedy-less-guests format (Earn Your Plug was a lot more interesting than interviews), but this is good too. Jaywalking and Headlines are hilarious, and his interviews are sometimes comedy gold. Some of the less frequent comedy segments are my favorites (Cop and Kitty is one of the funniest skits I've ever seen, and JMZ is good too.)

I watch this show every night, and I see myself becoming a long time viewer.
  • It's no Conan, but I'll take what I can get.

Personally, I'll be glad when conan takes over. I'm not allowed to stay up late enough to watch Conan every night, so I usually have to settle for Leno. I have nothing against the man, and he can be downright hilarious, but I just cannot relate to him and his obscenely large chin.
  • Can't wait to see your show every week night.

Dear Jay: Just wanted to let you know how great it is to have you doing The Tonight Show. We never even watched one show after you left. Mr. O'Brien is not even funny and never will be. Now,the only thing missing is Kevin Eubanks and The Tonight Show Band. Sorry, but Ricky is not even close to Kevin. He will never have the charisma or the close connection that came across between you and Kevin. I know we are all creatures of habit and nobody likes change, but Ricky just doesn't have "IT" and never will. Hopefully he will not hurt your show and be your downfall. If you ever get a chance and Kevin wants to come back, please jump at the chance. Kevin is 1,000 times better Ricky. Your Monologue, Jay Walking and Headliners are the best. Mr. Leno, we have been trying for more than four years to have our little two bedroom home rebuilt after Hurricane Katrina took everything we owned. My husband Harry is a retired, disable New Orleans Fire Fighter who risked his life every day for 20 years to save others. Now in his time of need, there is no one out there to help. Your show may well be the only thing he has to look forward to because it doesn't look like we will ever have a home of our own again. Thanks for being the only bright spot in our lives.
  • jay leno sucks!

i would rate this show o.o if i could. If you can at all avoid this show, DO! you'll have a better life if you do! watching Jay Leno is like tieing myself to a car and then letting it dragg me down the road causing my face to rubb completly off! watching Jay Leno is like turning on the TV and then this blast of light shoots out of it causing you to go blind and making your nose bleed excessively! watching Jay Leno...well you get the drift! avoid this show at all times if humanly possible! it has brought nothing NOTHING to this world in the form of enjoyment or entertainment! thanks!
  • Leno hosts the worst and unfortunatly #1 talk show on Late Night TV.

3.5
    I don't understand the humor in the show, I really don't think there is any but it still finishs ahead of Dave which is a damn shame because his show is much better. First of his personality amounts to the sum of zero and his band leader Kevin simply laughs at anything Jay has to say. His monolouge isn't funny and monica lewinsky jokes are still common place on his show. Headlines and Jay-Walkin are the only funny segments he does when he gets to the dask and when he has anyone else go wonderin the streets the result is not funny. He also can't interview anyone at all, his guest sit there and have to do all the work themselves. Hopefully people will soon begin to see how funny he really is and turn away before he leaves us all (thankfully) in 2009.
  • Love Jay...hate spanish subtitles...another show I will not be watching any more.

Jay Leno is great love to watch but since the Spanish subtitles...no way. The official language of the US is English...those who wish to listen in Spanish can set the Menu under language for spanish...then we all will be able to listen and watch. Until subtitles are gone...I will be watching another show on another station. Good Bye
  • still funnier than dave

i heard it said that jay will be stepping down in the next couple of years. that sounds like a really good idea to me. this show is stil a decent late night talk show, but it seems like the same old stuff over and over. i do not think that anyone who replaces jay will help it either.
  • Sick of Knocking Obama' S ACA.

Hey Leno give it a rest. You done it so much last week that they dedicated a page on fb about you knocking the president's ACA. Enough is enough. Every new program has its glitches just like GW Bush's Medicare part D did, You are not helping the president, in fact you are ONLY MAKING IT WORSE. GIVE IT A DAM REST.
  • Every weekday night Jay Leno fills this hour long show with jokes, interviews and music with the assistance of his side kick Kevin and announcer Ed Melendez.

This show is generally dull and unentertaining. It is painful to listen Jay deliver his monologue. We get it "Michael Jackson is Creepy" and "Paris Hilton is a Whore" how much more do we have to hear it. However, there are some bright spots sometimes a contributor will come up with some good material or a guest will be surprisingly entertaining. The best part of the show every night is when Jay say's "Stay tuned for Conan."
  • I thought it was the best talk show...until Conan

This is definitely a very funny and cool show. This talk show stars Jay Leno who takes over for the Late Johnny Carson. He follows the standard talk show procedure. Monologue followed by skit, followed by the interviews, then ending it with live entertainment * be it music or stand up comedy* The seemingly genuine dialogue between Leno and his band leader Kevin Eubanks is always funny. His jokes are sometimes funny, and when its a bad joke he isnt particularly great at getting out of the awkward moments. Overall its definitely one of the best talk shows but Conan O Brien to me is the better host.
  • LAME

Leno used to be a funny comedian when he was a guest on Late Night With David Letterman. He was funny when Letterman talked Carson into letting his friend Guest Host The Tonight Show. But since he stole the Tonight Show from Letterman, he has STUNK IT UP. To begin with, Leno steals most of his bits from David Letterman and Howard Stern. He isn't a funny comedian anymore whereas he's dumbed down his comedy. He is a total disgrace calling himself the host of the Tonight Show after such a great entertainer was pushed out by Leno's evil manager. His interviews are nothing but fluff and butt-kissing, his comedy bits are stolen and his monologue is tired and stupid. I understand that people think he's funny and he's original because they've never seen(or understood) Letterman or Stern's work but trust me when he replaces his announcer with John "The Stutterer" from the Howard Stern show and he steals every writer he can from Jon Stewart, Dennis Miller and Arsenio Hall, that shows that he proves himself to be a giant lame paranoid dunce. Does anyone remember his policy with guests? Where he wouldn't let them do the Tonight Show if they did any of the competition's shows? Lame, Unfunny, Unoriginal and just plain bad. Leno Sucks indeed.
  • Running on empty

1.1
    Jay has lost his lustre for doing this show, it's very clear. He used to at least fake it but he's not even trying that any more. How much longer do we have to put up with him being mean to his guests and the people in the audience? I hate when he insults people who give up their day to be in his audience, only to be told their clothes look bad. How does he get off saying that? If he didn't have a costumer he'd look like that too. He's just not funny any more. Bring on Conan!
  • The Mildly Interesting thing up there doesn't match but is the closet to the truth. The Skits are halarious but the interveiws are boring.

2.1
    His interviews are so boring! It's like he is having a chat with them about the weather. I would rather watch the channels that shows just static and a loud noise and I would put the volume to the max rather than go over the chanel while it's on for a second. BUT his producer have some nice stuff in the sketch where they go though newpapersand ads. The thing when they find typos or strange things in articales and newspaper are hilarious. But finally the end music is gay. I would rather have nails nailed into my head than listen to that. Here is my list of bad things in his show.

1. His Interviews are boring as hell.
    2. The bands (like most late night show) suck.
    3. The end music is like elevator music.
    4. A not funny relationship with his band.
    5. He has idiotic questons for his guests.

Not that much against him but stil its big for me
    and other people as well. If you are a fan fine. But new people to the show, don't say i didn't warn you. DON'T listen to the interveiwa no matter who the guest is. Unless it is Will Farell. He's funny. See his movies. There good. Not Elf though. That sucked.
  • Jay Leno-OK

3.2
    Borat was boring. Borat was boorish. I loved his movie but his jokes on the Tonite show were lame. What worked as a movie and was beyond anything witnessed on the big screen before got old on the small screen. Borat\\\'s joke about the game show with the 5 women getting pregnant wasn\\\'t offensive, lead edge or even amusing. It was simply not funny. If I was to laugh at that I would have to work at thinking it was funny instead of being caught off guard and enjoying it. His constant trying to play to the audience as a favored son who is somewhat childish but loved for his exuberance is old. If this is the persona he believes will continue his run to the bank I think America will pan his flash fairly quickly. Borat!wake up! Find a new schtick! Kudos to Jay for trying to deal with an idiot carrying his \\\'concept\\\' too long.
  • For God\'s sake ,man ,change the repertoir!

I don\'t know how this guy managed to be so popular ,after all this time. I mean same jokes over and over again - Bill Clinton ,Britney Spears ,Michael Jackson...boring! Change the subject! If something is interesting in this show ,it\'s not Leno. Those funny clips like Jaywalk are sometimes funny ,but they are humiliating people ;those Stuffs We Found On E-Bay is OK ,so are the Headlines. But please ,either make Leno come up with some new jokes or give him the boot. It\'s maybe funny when you watch it for the first time ,but soon you realise that you have other interesting ways to spend night.
  • TO MANY POLITIC TALK

4.7
    I used to like watching this show , but ever since the big war in Iraq and 911 I just cant seem to watch this show. Its hard enough that we have to go daily with watching terrible news , and hear about our friends that are fighting in the war or the many other POLITICS we deal with on a daily basis. But when I watch tv I like to watch FUNNY tv to help me relax after work and go to sleep being happy not thinking about POLITICS after POLITICS ...

Thats all really. If he wouldnt talk about war all the time I would watch him again.
  • In summary, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno doesnt have anything on Kemmel, Ferguson, or Conan. However, I think his show is better than Letterman's.

the Tonight Show with Jay Leno is ok. However, I wouldn't classify it as one of the best late shows out there. Why do he need a drum after his corny jokes. That is so old. However, I do like to seen hm though. Leno's funny- shape sometimes makes me laugh. I do like his segments though and he does interview some guest that are interesting to me. However, one thing I don't like is how he always get racial with Kevin Eubanks. Talking about this is a white man suit and this and that is what white men do.
  • Not as good as Letterman, Conan or Jon Stewart. About on par with Kimmel and Ferguson to be honest...

I just can't get into this show! Gags and skits are unfunny and the interviews are about as boring as John Kerry's speeches! On the bright side, Leno's monolouge usually is pretty good, but that is because he was a stand up comedian. The house band is pretty good too, although they don't make good "sidekicks" like the Max Weinberg 7 does on Late Night. The problem is that Leno's decent hosting abilities are weighed down by everyone else on the show. If NBC cared, they'd surround Jay with better people, but now that he's retiring in 2009, why bother? Decent watching if Letterman and the Colbert Report are reruns I guess.
  • I used to love this show...

7.3
    But now, lately I've been watching Letterman. I never dreamed I would like David Letterman's show more than Jay Leno's. At first I would stay up for the whole show, then I only stayed up for the skits, then I switched to Letterman and watched just the headlines. Now I can't even bring myself to switch to his show during commercials! I can't stand the way he interviews his guests, he's like a vulture sometimes. At least Letterman will get the audience some laughs out of picking on his guests! I hope when Conan replaces him it will be worth watching...
  • The legendary American late night TV show. A host, a live audience, a band, and guests are a proven formula for keeping night owls entertained.

Jay Leno has done a very respectable job of carrying the late night torch with dignity and humor. True he never "reinvented the wheel" but there is only so much you can do with a wheel. Late night talk shows succeed when they stay simple. Give us a solid host, a rocking band, a happy audience, and interesting guests and you have success. Jay leno seems like an incredibly nice guy. Yes, his humor is not edgy but middle America seems to love him as do his guests. It will be interesting to see what he does when Conan takes over because Jay will still be relatively young. The tonight show is one of the last remaining cornerstones of classic television in the modern era and it still entertains!
  • A talk show with Jay and celebrities. How much more can I summarise it?

I like this show. Sure it has the occasional joke that bombs, they like making fun of certain things was too much, and some of the guests aren't that interesting, but I still find it funny.

I think the reason the show works is because of Jay Leno himself. He has a nice charm about himself that makes him fun to watch, and the banter between him and Kevin can be hilarious.

A lot of people complain about how a lot of his jokes aren't funny. Well, you have to understand this guy is on stage almost every night of the week and is forced to try and find fresh material. The great thing is, he succeeds most of the time.

I usually try and catch at least the first half of the show, only because by then the celebrities come on and they're usually annoying.
  • I can stay up late to wacth the Show

7.6
    I don't usally like to stay up late at night but when I do its nice to have Jay's show to wacth its informative and entertaining and can be an exciting show to wacth late at night I like the show and the news too and Jay seems like a super nice guy plus the show keeps aa good pace of things to stay up late at night to wacth and it helps making falling asleep again to wacth the show late at night I like how the people in the show come across. I hope my review makes some sense
  • Comedian Jay Leno hosts the Tonight Show.

He was funny in then ninetys but now it seems as if he's losing steam. His jokes are unresponsive and his charisma has run out. He's still entertaining with his guests but I believe Conan has conquered Late Night. It's easy to see why he'll be relinquishing his position as the Tonight Show's host but it's sill sad. He'll be remembered though, not as much as Johnny, but he'll be remembered.
  • Its the Tonight Show with Jay Leno!

The Tonight Show is NBC's long-running late-night talk and variety show, currently hosted by Jay Leno in Burbank, CA (near Los Angeles). The hour-long show premiered September 27, 1954 in a 90-minute format hosted by Steve Allen. The show features at least two guests each night, usually including a comedian or musical guest. In 1999 the show started filming in 1080i High-Definition Format. The Tonight Show has had 4 other hosts before Jay Leno took over on May 25, 1992. Those hosts include:

-Steve Allen ( September 27 1954, - January 1957)
    -Ernie Kovacs (October 1, 1956-1957) (hosted on Mondays and Tuesdays)
    -Jack Paar (July 1957 March 30, 1962)(Also called the "Jack Paar Show"
    -Johnny Carson (October 1, 1962 May 22, 1992)

In 2009, NBC's The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, is scheduled to be hosted by a new person. Conan O'Brien of "Late Night with Conan O'Brien) The "Late Night" hosting spot has not yet been chosen.

< 1 2 3