The Tudors

Destiny and Fortune

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jun 01, 2008 on Showtime

• Despite it's historical inaccuracies, it went off quite well.

In the final episode of this season we see a number of things. We see Natalie Dormer come into her own as an actress, as she flies from one end of the spectrum to the other with ease and poise. The scene where the Princess Elizabeth is called a bastard by the same governess who had loved and cared for her since birth, and who is advised to grow, get a husband, and die of childbirth, and forget who she ever was before. That right there saved this episode from Jonathan Rhys Meyers.

It's like watching Leonardo DiCaprio in The Man in the Iron Mask, a pitiful, dramatic ponce. Superficial as that role was, we see Jonathan Rhys Meyers act the same role he played in Velvet Goldmine. Thing is the two roles are similar, only King Henry's cocaine was food, and I've heard that they do not plan to have Rhys Meyers gain any weight in order to portray the biggest glutton to sit on that crown. That I see is a silly, soap opera mistake. He'll look as young as the next four wives, yet part of the horror of what followed Anne's execution was the fact that Henry was grossly obese, impotent, yet still so en fuego with ego that he thought it fitting to run after 15 year olds with the same perversity that he did as a younger man.

Truth ends with this season finale, and I fear the following seasons of the Tudors will fail if changes aren't made. It's simply silly to consider that Jonathan Rhys Meyers cannot alter himself, even a little bit as the advances in make up could do the rest for him, in order to perfectly capture his character. I read an article saying that the producers didn't wish to "ruin Rhys Meyers" with demands that he gain weight for the role. What about what Rene Zellweger going from an 8 to a 14 for Bridget Jones, then dieting into a 6 for Chicago, then back to a 14 for The Edge of Reason? What about Benecio Del Toro putting on 60 pounds for Fear and Loathing? All I'm saying is that when quality is sacrificed for pretty facades the project suffers.

Sorry for the rant, but this is where I'm left at the end of this episode. Watch it if you are a fan, because it's all down hill from here. This is the LAST good episode of The Tudors.