The Tudors Forums

Showtime (ended 2010)

Charles' Son?

lauramackin

[1]Apr 27, 2009
    • level: 2

In episode 4 of season 3 we see Brandons son. Who is the mother again? I cant remember...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SMGslayer97

[2]Apr 28, 2009
    • level: 34
    You know I've never been able to figure that out either. I just assumed that they never really explained it, I've seen all the episodes so far so I know they've never come out and said it so who knows.

gam97

[3]Apr 28, 2009
    • level: 13
    It is his current wife. I think he also has another son.

expatriot

[4]Apr 29, 2009
    • level: 53

gam97 wrote:

I also think he's Catherine Brandon's son, even though she seems too young. He did have two sons in real life, but I'm not sure if we've seen the second son in the show.

expatriot

[5]May 3, 2009
    • level: 53
    Well, we now know he's called Arthur

gam97

[6]May 3, 2009
    expatriot wrote:

gam97 wrote:

I also think he's Catherine Brandon's son, even though she seems too young. He did have two sons in real life, but I'm not sure if we've seen the second son in the show.

No he wasnt seen in the show but he was mentioned by someone.

amj1967

[7]May 4, 2009
    • level: 6

In an episode in Season 2 when he talked to King Henry about his plan to marry his current wife Catherine, he also says "and my son needs a mother". This means that the son that appears in Season 2 is the child of Brandon with Henry's sister. I assume it is the same son in season 3.

In real life, Brandon had one son and two daughters with Henry's sister Mary. This boy (Henry) was for a short period second in line to the throne after Henry's son Edward, since Henry's daughters were still declared illegitimate and Henry disowned his other nephew, the King of Scotts, for political reasons.

Brandon's first son died young and his two sons with Catherine were, of course, out of the succession since they had no Tudor blood. His daughters remained in line of succession but then behind Mary and Elizabeth, declared heirs by an act of parliament. Henry's son Edward disowned his sisters yet again and declared Brandon's eldest Tudor granddaughter Jane as his heir.

This, again, did not hold. Mary was the next queen after her brother by popular support, and she executed Jane. Then Elizabeth succeded and she in turn was succeded by the grandson of the disowned King of Scotts. Did I already confused you enough?

Edited on 05/04/2009 9:07am

gam97

[8]May 4, 2009
    amj1967 wrote:

In an episode in Season 2 when he talked to King Henry about his plan to marry his current wife Catherine, he also says "and my son needs a mother". This means that the son that appears in Season 2 is the child of Brandon with Henry's sister. I assume it is the same son in season 3.

In real life, Brandon had one son and two daughters with Henry's sister Mary. This boy (Henry) was for a short period second in line to the throne after Henry's son Edward, since Henry's daughters were still declared illegitimate and Henry disowned his other nephew, the King of Scotts, for political reasons.

Brandon's first son died young and his two sons with Catherine were, of course, out of the succession since they had no Tudor blood. His daughters remained in line of succession but then behind Mary and Elizabeth, declared heirs by an act of parliament. Henry's son Edward disowned his sisters yet again and declared Brandon's eldest Tudor granddaughter Jane as his heir.

This, again, did not hold. Mary was the next queen after her brother by popular support, and she executed Jane. Then Elizabeth succeded and she in turn was succeded by the grandson of the disowned King of Scotts. Did I already confused you enough?

LOL Not yet ... but you are on your way to doing an exceptionally good job of it. Then again it is not your fault. That was what REALLY happened

amj1967

[9]May 4, 2009
    • level: 6

gam97 wrote:
    LOL Not yet ... but you are on your way to doing an exceptionally good job of it. Then again it is not your fault. That was what REALLY happened

With the Tudors, no matter how imaginative the writers are, reality always surpasses fiction

gam97

[10]May 5, 2009
    amj1967 wrote:

gam97 wrote:

With the Tudors, no matter how imaginative the writers are, reality always surpasses fiction

I dont know why the writers bother to come up with stuff at all!! What actually happened is much more dramatic

Keguri

[11]Jun 19, 2010
    • level: 12
    Speaking of Charles Brandon, the last two/three eps he got that french girl as a mistress and such.
    I had no idea he had issues with his wife?!
    They were so happy and inlove in the beginning, after he left Margret (that's the name of Henrys sister, right?) and that ended quickly.

I just can't keep up... What happened between him and the second wife? I remember her being a little bit disapproving of some things but nothing about them splitting up or such!

boom-moo

[12]Jun 20, 2010
    • level: 75
    Keguri wrote:
    What happened between him and the second wife? I remember her being a little bit disapproving of some things but nothing about them splitting up or such!
    His second wife was horrified by the fact that Charles had to kill so many people following the king's orders, especially innocent kids. When she was pregnant she asked him what would he do if the king would order him to kill his own son. Charles replied he would have to do it. His wife says she wishes she wouldn't be pregnant since she has no desire to have the kid. Next we know is that she's lost the baby and Charles confesses to Lady Mary that his wife and him live separated lives a long time ago. By the time he takes his French mistress, his marriage has been long broken.

Keguri

[13]Jun 21, 2010
    • level: 12
    boom-moo wrote:
    Keguri wrote:
    What happened between him and the second wife? I remember her being a little bit disapproving of some things but nothing about them splitting up or such!
    His second wife was horrified by the fact that Charles had to kill so many people following the king's orders, especially innocent kids. When she was pregnant she asked him what would he do if the king would order him to kill his own son. Charles replied he would have to do it. His wife says she wishes she wouldn't be pregnant since she has no desire to have the kid. Next we know is that she's lost the baby and Charles confesses to Lady Mary that his wife and him live separated lives a long time ago. By the time he takes his French mistress, his marriage has been long broken.

Thanks!

boom-moo

[14]Jun 23, 2010
    • level: 75
    Very sad when the Duchess of Suffolk and the butler give Charles' mistress the cold shoulder after he's dead. She finds herself alone and out of place and I truly pity her.

buffyangel4evr_

[15]Jun 29, 2010
    • level: 20

Charles's son is a fictional son created for the show. In real life, Charles was married 4 times and had 11 children, legit and unlegit. He had two sons before he married "the current wife" Catherine, one died while Henry's sister was still alive and the other died shortly after he married Catherine. Charles had quite the love life. He had three illegit children, all daughters. And by all accounts, even though he seems to have had multiple affairs as it seems to be the norm, his last two marriages were "happy" ones. Both ending in the naturaldeath of one of the spouses.