The Tudors Forums

Showtime (ended 2010)

He's nearly 50

chesca_53

[1]May 25, 2009
    • level: 1
    Just cos you don't really think about it, Henry the VIII was 49 when he married Catherine Howard. She was about 20.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

boom-moo

[2]Jun 2, 2009
    • level: 75
    Yeah, despite the hairdo and facial hair effort, Jonathan doesn't convey the age King Henry was, fictional licenses aside. However I'm happy they didn't choose to have different actors to depict King Henry as he grew up, Jonathan makes a great job.

GiverSSJ

[3]Jun 18, 2009
    • level: 13
    boom-moo wrote:
    Yeah, despite the hairdo and facial hair effort, Jonathan doesn't convey the age King Henry was, fictional licenses aside. However I'm happy they didn't choose to have different actors to depict King Henry as he grew up, Jonathan makes a great job.

The actor is doing a good job in regards to portraying Henry as he gets more "tough" and "angry" especially in season 3 when he tells Jane not to meddle in his affairs.

SMGslayer97

[4]Jun 19, 2009
    • level: 34
    To be honest whatever age Henry is supposed to be by now according to history doens't really make any difference to me only because the show never claimed to be an accurate, blow by blow account of history. Based on the life of Henry is the perfect way to put it because honestly the show takes liberties. Why wouldn't they? So it's absurd to think that they wouldn't change a lot of things to the point where it wouldn't fit with historical fact.

giggs92

[5]Nov 14, 2009
    • level: 4
    I don't mind the age bit so much, but he should be fat by now surely.

SMGslayer97

[6]Nov 17, 2009
    • level: 34
    giggs92 wrote:
    I don't mind the age bit so much, but he should be fat by now surely.

They're getting there but most people don't realize that is his youth Henry was quite fit and athletic, it wasn't until after an injury (around jane, wife number 3) that he changed in the physical sense and I can't imagine it happened over night.

Beyond that though this is tv so...

vimeskane

[7]Apr 1, 2010
    • level: 1
    It's right that was after the accident that he became unable to to train that he became fat, but if they let him die a thin man that is downgrading the whole show.

Because of the leg injury and some other things he weighed around 350 pounds around the time he died and you can't have him has thin as jonathan is now.

He died because he was overweight and you can't say he died of his leg injury, if he was thin and had that leg injury I bet he could have survided a couple of years.

mermayd

[8]Apr 11, 2010
    • level: 19
    There's so much about the show that is inaccurate you have to just stop thinking in those terms. I see it as historical drama and try to ignore that it's supposed to be about Henry VIII.

JRM is terrific either way. i doubt he wants to endure a fat suit every day. Or do people think he'd beef himself up a la Renee in Bridget Jones?

haldrey

[9]Apr 12, 2010
    • level: 22
    It is easy to portrait a fat man when he has his clothes on but without them that's going to be a hell of a problem.

CrisCusack

[10]Apr 12, 2010
    • level: 2

It's a 6 year difference. Rhys-Meyers is 43, Henry was 49. They're going to have to start putting on some makeup (not to mention padding) as we add another 7 years this season, though.

SVU17

[11]Apr 22, 2010
    • level: 14

Yes. Jonathan does indeed portray a pretty good Henry VIII, despite his obvious Irish Accent. An Elite Englishman of the time would not have spoken in with such a lack of London accent. I have friends whom were born in London and cannot stand the show because of the accent. I, however love the show. Can't we argue that with lack of medical science, Henry VIII could have died as a result of the leg injury? He did, afterall, gain weight because of it!

amj1967

[12]Apr 25, 2010
    • level: 6

SVU17 wrote:

Yes. Jonathan does indeed portray a pretty good Henry VIII, despite his obvious Irish Accent. An Elite Englishman of the time would not have spoken in with such a lack of London accent. I have friends whom were born in London and cannot stand the show because of the accent. I, however love the show. Can't we argue that with lack of medical science, Henry VIII could have died as a result of the leg injury? He did, afterall, gain weight because of it!

Do not forget genetics. There is a general consensus that Henry VIII looked like his Granfather Edward IV who also was tall and atletic while young but became obese later on and died aged 41. Henry might have inherited his constitution as well.

buffyangel4evr_

[13]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 20

As a result of his leg injury, which occured while he was married to Anne, Henry became less active over the years. His leg was severly ulcerated (and possibly gangrenous) and it became much more difficult for him to move around. As a result, he gained so much weight. And there's also a theory that he may have developed Type 2 diabetes. His leg injury didn't kill him directly, but he died as a result of it and all the issues that followed.