The Tudors Forums

Showtime (ended 2010)

New to this show and LOVING it, but....

Mazzy0774

[1]Jun 2, 2010
    • level: 10

Hello All. My fiancée and I are having our wedding at the Texas Renaissance Festival in November and have always loved the renaissance and medival periods. So, my sister told me about this show months ago and how her and her bf stumbled on it and said me and my fiancee would love it. I kinda blew it off and then saw it on the on demand options on my cable on Monday while looking for something to watch. They only have seasons 3 and 4 on the on demand, but we watched the first ep of season 3 and we loved it. We are adding seasons 1 and 2 to our netflix, but here's my questions if you can help me. Please let me know anything else I might need to know. Thank you so very much!

Can you give me a quick run down of what's happened?

Is that really his daughter and is he being genuine in caring about her when he gave her a gift yet made her sign that paper? And, what of her Mother?

Did his ex wife really cheat on him and get beheaded?

Is this all based on true events from those times?

Is the one he just made into duke not really a friend? I can't remember his character name, but he is also the one the king slaps in the head upset that he didn't know about someone and many fighters headed their way for them to be prepared for their arrival to possibly fight. And, It seemed as though he was possibly trying to do something regarding the catholic church. I was a bit confused. I don't know much about religion in those days either.

Thank you again for any help! Wink

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Maximum_Taco

[2]Jun 14, 2010
    • level: 13

Ok, lots of questions.

Mazzy0774 wrote:

Can you give me a quick run down of what's happened?

The first 2 seasons deal mainly with Henry's establishment of the Church of England and his break from Rome and his first two marriages to Katherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn.

Mazzy0774 wrote:
    Is that really his daughter and is he being genuine in caring about her when he gave her a gift yet made her sign that paper? And, what of her Mother?

I'm assuming you mean the Lady Mary Tudor. Yes, she is his daughter by Katherine of Aragon. He does care about her but it comes to a point. Henry needs Mary to acknowledge his authority as head of the Church of England and her acceptance of the annulment of the marriage between himself and Katherine so Mary cannot threaten the rights of future children he may have. As a bastard she has no claim to the throne above trueborn children and the document she signed proves that she accepts that.

Mazzy0774 wrote:
    Did his ex wife really cheat on him and get beheaded?

Debatable. She may have cheated on him and was charged as such, she did get beheaded. Also technically she wasn't his ex-wife because Henry had all of his marriages annulled, excepting the ones to Jane Seymour and Catherine Parr.

Mazzy0774 wrote:
    Is this all based on true events from those times?

Yes, but MANY MANY creative licenses are taken.

Mazzy0774 wrote:
    Is the one he just made into duke not really a friend? I can't remember his character name, but he is also the one the king slaps in the head upset that he didn't know about someone and many fighters headed their way for them to be prepared for their arrival to possibly fight. And, It seemed as though he was possibly trying to do something regarding the catholic church. I was a bit confused. I don't know much about religion in those days either.

You'll need to be more specific as to who exactly you're talking about.

Mazzy0774 wrote:
    Thank you again for any help!

You're Welcome!

Keguri

[3]Jun 19, 2010
    • level: 12
    watch everything from the beginning online, free and legally at surfthechannel.com

buffyangel4evr_

[4]Jun 29, 2010
    • level: 20

I think the Duke friend you are referring to is Charles Brandon. From what I can recall from the research I have done (I became quite obsessed w/the real Tudors when I first started watching) is the they were indeed extremely close. In fact, the show paints Charles in a much better light than the real Charles. Again, from what I can recall and I may be incorrect, Charles was one of Henry's strongest supporters to the end and he is portrayed in the show as being torn between his friend and his original religion, Catholicism, which really wasn't the case.