The Tudors Forums

Showtime (ended 2010)

Showtime orders fourth and final season of The Tudors

expatriot

[1]Apr 13, 2009
    • level: 53

As posted on the editor's blog:

Showtime has renewed the "The Tudors," but the pick-up comes with a catch -- The show's fourth season will also be its last. On Monday (April 13), Showtime ordered a 10-episode fourth season of the period drama, with new episodes set to premiere in 2010. The fourth season will focus on Henry VIII's relationship with wives Catherine Howard and Catherine Parr, as well as his descent into madness. That will bring the monarch's story to a close and will also bring the series to an end.

Jonathan Rhys Meyers will continue with his Golden Globe nominated turn as King Henry VIII (looking less and less believable as the increasingly portly king as time passes) and series creator Michael Hirst will continue to handle writing and executive producing duties. When "The Tudors" reaches its finale, the series will have aired 38 episodes, all written by Hirst. "I'm thrilled to complete the saga of Henry VIII as reconceived by Michael Hirst," says Showtime Entertainment President Robert Greenblatt in a statement. "He and Jonathan Rhys Meyers have breathed new life into the costume drama by making it both modern in sensibility but also faithful to history. I think we proved that even after 500 years this is a great story."

The third season of "The Tudors" premiered on April 5 and Showtime's press release says the premiere "garnered record ratings," though it offers no specifics.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TesserT

[2]Apr 14, 2009
    • level: 78
    Saw this in the morning paper! Production will start in June in Dublin, Ireland & air in the spring. Am glad they decided to take Henry's monarchy all the way to the end.

mermayd

[3]Apr 14, 2009
    • level: 19
    I hope they don't continue the habit of casting pop princesses as wives. Imagine Charlotte Church as Catherine Howard.

or similar.

Michelle Ryan would be good.

SMGslayer97

[4]Apr 23, 2009
    • level: 34
    I was disappointed to hear the show would only be doing four seasons, but when they announced they would be moving through wives 3, 4 and starting 5 all in the third season I had a feeling four seasons would be all we got. In some ways it's a good thing though, the series will never get tapped out of stories going out while it's still semi-new.

And there is also the possibility of the show one day contiuing with Henry's airs, not necessarily Elizabeth (she's been done to death) but Mary for example. I would adore that.

haldrey

[5]Apr 24, 2009
    • level: 22
    The first season got me interested in this period history and so many thing happened during this period that there is enough material for at least two more seasons, but I will accept only a fourth one if they make it count.
    Edited on 04/26/2009 5:52pm

TesserT

[6]May 1, 2009
    I'd like to see Showtime do something with Allison Weir's book The Children of Henry VIII. The book covers Edward VI, Jane Grey, Mary I & Elizabeth I (up to Mary's ring being delivered to Elizabeth with news that she was now Queen of England & details the provisions of Mary's will being ignored).

SMGslayer97

[7]May 6, 2009
    TesserT wrote:
    I'd like to see Showtime do something with Allison Weir's book The Children of Henry VIII. The book covers Edward VI, Jane Grey, Mary I & Elizabeth I (up to Mary's ring being delivered to Elizabeth with news that she was now Queen of England & details the provisions of Mary's will being ignored).

I sort of thought when the show The Tudors premiered that the title might mean we'd get a continuation beyond Henry, maybe not all the way up to Elizabeth but at the very least for a little way maybe even into Mary. But apparently not, to bad because honestly that would have made the show even more unique then it already is. They would have gotten big kudos for going for it.

Keguri

[8]May 15, 2009
    • level: 12
    Woooow, Anne Boleyn got more than one season so I thought they would all get like atleast half a season to themselves.
    I am not tuned into the british history well enough to make a judgment if love was a bigger issue for Henry when he met Anne Boleyn since the other wives and lovedrama get a lot less camera time?

SMGslayer97

[9]May 19, 2009
    Keguri wrote:
    Woooow, Anne Boleyn got more than one season so I thought they would all get like atleast half a season to themselves.
    I am not tuned into the british history well enough to make a judgment if love was a bigger issue for Henry when he met Anne Boleyn since the other wives and lovedrama get a lot less camera time?

Based of the little I know about history the fact that Jane and Anne of Cleves got a little less relationship focus time then Anne is more or less accurate. I believe they had very little time with Henry.

boom-moo

[10]Jun 2, 2009
    • level: 75
    SMGslayer97 wrote:
    I sort of thought when the show The Tudors premiered that the title might mean we'd get a continuation beyond Henry, maybe not all the way up to Elizabeth but at the very least for a little way maybe even into Mary. But apparently not, to bad because honestly that would have made the show even more unique then it already is. They would have gotten big kudos for going for it.
    I absolutely agree, that was my thought as well and I was so excited about it. I'll take whatever we get because the show is great and I'm thankful for 4 amazing seasons but the possibility of an eventual continuation would make me a really happy camper
    SMGslayer97 wrote:
    And there is also the possibility of the show one day contiuing with Henry's airs, not necessarily Elizabeth (she's been done to death) but Mary for example. I would adore that.
    I would adore that too!

JanuaryRose1308

[11]Jun 14, 2009
    • level: 5
    Why bother calling it the Tudors if they're only going to do Henry? They might've well have called it Henry VIII. I was really looking forward to the story continuing into Edward and Mary. Not only would it be a unique story point (as somebody already mentioned) but they could keep going until Elizabeth.

Mr_Angelus

[12]Sep 19, 2009
    • level: 13
    Agreed! Edward doesn't interesst me that much but Kathrine.
    Edited on 09/19/2009 6:38am

TesserT

[13]Sep 22, 2009
    EW/Ausiello: Katherine Parr

***SPOILER***

michaelhanergod

[14]Oct 15, 2009
    • level: 7
    I hope they bring in Gillian Anderson for the final 4th season

Keguri

[15]Feb 2, 2010
    Waaait a minute, pop princesses in the show? Where? I've totally missed them... :S Who are they playing?

boom-moo

[16]Feb 4, 2010
    Keguri wrote:
    Waaait a minute, pop princesses in the show? Where? I've totally missed them... :S Who are they playing?
    Joss Stone plays Anne of Cleves, Henry's 4th wife during season 3

Keguri

[17]Feb 9, 2010
    Ahhh, I've just begun watching those eps, I see now.

But out of the first four queens only one has been a pop princess. Plus, Joss does a good job.

boom-moo

[18]Feb 22, 2010
    Keguri wrote:
    Plus, Joss does a good job.
    She does indeed, and it is not an easy role, let alone an easy accent.

TesserT

[19]Feb 25, 2010
    Here we go! Our final season starts Sunday April 11, 2010.

boom-moo

[20]Mar 1, 2010
    TesserT wrote:
    Here we go! Our final season starts Sunday April 11, 2010.
    Yay, thank you! *dances*