The Tudors Forums

Showtime (ended 2010)

The Tudors Official Question and Answer Thread

gam97

[1]Apr 28, 2008
    • level: 13

Hey guys!

I think this forum need this thread desperately because whenever someone has a question, they start a new topic. So I think it is a great idea to keep all our questions and answers in one place where it is easier to get (got this idea from Bones Forum)

I will fire the first shot!

What do you think of King Henry's reaction to Sir Thomas's beheading? Couldn't he have stopped it? For God's sake, HE is the king after all and could have done anything!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

expatriot

[2]Apr 29, 2008
    • level: 53
    There's no rule against creating a new topic for a question, so I doubt whether this thread is desperately needed However, we can certainly try this out My answer to your question: Yes, of course Henry could have stopped it. But like he says in the episode, "all or nothing". There could be no exceptions. Once you've convinced yourself that what you're doing is the only right thing to do, as Henry clearly has, you have to accept the consequences. I'm sure Henry did not like the consequences in this instance and truly did love Sir Thomas More but he could not accept any exception, not matter how much it pained him. I honestly believe that the death of Sir Thomas More truly hurt him.
    Edited on 04/29/2008 7:26am

gam97

[3]Apr 29, 2008

Well, he could have kidnapped the guy and nobody had to know it was him. I mean if this is a person is someone King Heny confessed to loving, what about ppl who he doesnt even like, would happen to THEM? And in what ep does Ann get to fall from grace?

foolishtv

[4]Apr 29, 2008
    • level: 48
    Just a simple question -- is episode 6 the season finale?

gam97

[5]Apr 30, 2008
    I think ep 10 is the season finale.

garou12

[6]May 4, 2008
    • level: 2
    yeap Henry said so this week that he could have saved Thomas many times but it was Ann who kept saying that he should be destroyed...Ann's gonna fall and fall hard!

gam97

[7]May 5, 2008

Amen to that!

I hate that *****. I honestly do and I am not a person who hates anyone.

iwmro

[8]May 6, 2008
    • level: 1
    There is no doubt King Henry loved Thomas and that he wanted to save him, but If King Henry had stopped the execution he would have appeared weak in the eyes of his people and Ann.

quote12

[9]May 11, 2008
    • level: 6
    The sociopath Henry Tudor was busy running roughshod over the wishes of his people. Of course, despots claiming divine rights are not unique to Britain, but some at least insulated themselves from the murders performed to further their interests. In his self-involvement, Henry VIII created problems and caused others to suffer the consequences. The modern UK entertainment establishment is unhealthily fixated upon him precisely because he targeted so many of his family and friends.

tacwr

[10]May 25, 2008
    • level: 3
    i doubt that henry was a sociopath in the purest sense of the word. but i think that he suffered from a massive loss of realistic perspective. His behaviour kind of comes with the territory when you're the king and used to be right. Plus, when you're the king there is no one who you consider equal. henry would have never saved Thomas More as More was against the new world order henry was building. Of course there was the whole problem to make his marriage to anne legit, but actually henry was after the church wealth. he needed the money because he was pretty much broke at that time.

gam97

[11]May 25, 2008
    tacwr wrote:
    i doubt that henry was a sociopath in the purest sense of the word. but i think that he suffered from a massive loss of realistic perspective. His behaviour kind of comes with the territory when you're the king and used to be right. Plus, when you're the king there is no one who you consider equal. henry would have never saved Thomas More as More was against the new world order henry was building. Of course there was the whole problem to make his marriage to anne legit, but actually henry was after the church wealth. he needed the money because he was pretty much broke at that time.
    I dont understand this. at the beginning of the seriers, we were told that Henry's father was rich, hence all fleet of ships , but suddenly and out of the blue, when he didnt get into war or anything, he is out of funds. I dont understand!

bergie47

[12]May 25, 2008
    • level: 10
    what did henrys sister die off?

gam97

[13]May 26, 2008
    bergie47 wrote:
    i think it is the sweat. It was some plague in those days.

SuperJimi

[14]May 27, 2008
    • level: 3
    In the season 2 finale, I am sorry to say I was lost on a big symbolic theme. What did the swans symbolize? espeacially the ending. I mean I think i know what it means but what does everyone else think?

gam97

[15]May 27, 2008
    SuperJimi wrote:
    In the season 2 finale, I am sorry to say I was lost on a big symbolic theme. What did the swans symbolize? espeacially the ending. I mean I think i know what it means but what does everyone else think?

Season 2 finale? The last epi aired was episode 9 of season 2 and our season has 10 episodes. So I, I am pretty sure, dont know what you are talking about.

FGMoriconi

[16]May 30, 2008

Swans usually mate for life; however, there have been cases where swans have "divorced" over a problem with nesting. I think that this might throw a bit of light on why Henry was so fascinated with them. I guess he ate up the swan just like he eats up people....

Zephra6676

[17]Jun 3, 2008
    I have studied a good long while on Anne Boleyn's life and feel I need to put my 2 cents worth in on something. I do not believe she was to blame for Thomas More's death. I have read in several different sources (can't call them to mind right now) that she even tried to persuade Henry not to do it. Henry had a knack for shifting blame when he needed to massage his guilt and I believe that is what he did in this case. I'm not saying Anne is not guilty of bad deeds but this is not one of them. She was certainly vain, haughty, and power hungry though she did soften toward her end, giving heavily to the poor, making clothing for them, and other such things. She was not all bad, just a creation of her family, and power. I believe she did grow to love Henry but married him as a way to stick it to Wolsey for not allowing her to marry Henry Percy. Had she learned to curb her tongue, she may have lived a little longer and had a few more opportunities to try again for that Son. Had she just had a son by Henry, she would would have lived period. Henry was just tired of hearing her **** which is why plain, quiet, unassuming Jane appealed to him so much. But if you notice, Henry started to "let himself go" around the time of Anne's death. I believe he lived with guilt for the way he handled the whole thing. Anne's name was never uttered in the presence of the king again and poor Elizabeth had to live with her mother's "guilt". The joke was on Henry though. His son (by Jane) died when he was in his late teens bringing his daughter Mary (by Katherine) to the thrown (Bloody Mary). After Mary, Anne daughter became a better monarch than Henry could ever hope to have been. I always wonder what he would have said about that little fact?

gam97

[18]Jun 3, 2008
    Zephra6676 wrote:
    I have studied a good long while on Anne Boleyn's life and feel I need to put my 2 cents worth in on something. I do not believe she was to blame for Thomas More's death. I have read in several different sources (can't call them to mind right now) that she even tried to persuade Henry not to do it. Henry had a knack for shifting blame when he needed to massage his guilt and I believe that is what he did in this case. I'm not saying Anne is not guilty of bad deeds but this is not one of them. She was certainly vain, haughty, and power hungry though she did soften toward her end, giving heavily to the poor, making clothing for them, and other such things. She was not all bad, just a creation of her family, and power. I believe she did grow to love Henry but married him as a way to stick it to Wolsey for not allowing her to marry Henry Percy. Had she learned to curb her tongue, she may have lived a little longer and had a few more opportunities to try again for that Son. Had she just had a son by Henry, she would would have lived period. Henry was just tired of hearing her **** which is why plain, quiet, unassuming Jane appealed to him so much. But if you notice, Henry started to "let himself go" around the time of Anne's death. I believe he lived with guilt for the way he handled the whole thing. Anne's name was never uttered in the presence of the king again and poor Elizabeth had to live with her mother's "guilt". The joke was on Henry though. His son (by Jane) died when he was in his late teens bringing his daughter Mary (by Katherine) to the thrown (Bloody Mary). After Mary, Anne daughter became a better monarch than Henry could ever hope to have been. I always wonder what he would have said about that little fact?

Well, since he didnt know b/c he died, this is more of a thought than a question. But I guess for the matter of his son, he would find some one to blame since has a gift for it. As for his daughters,he wouldnt care much, since he looks at them as just GRILS

crazybabecake

[19]Jun 3, 2008

gam97 wrote:
    bergie47 wrote:

If your are talking about Margret, the sister that was portrayed in this series.....Brandon told Henry she died of Consumption, which we know as Tuberculosis.

In real life Henry had 2 sisters Margaret, who died of a stroke. And Mary she was the siser who actually married Brandon, but I couldn't find what she died of.

gam97

[20]Jun 3, 2008
    crazybabecake wrote:

gam97 wrote:
    bergie47 wrote:

If your are talking about Margret, the sister that was portrayed in this series.....Brandon told Henry she died of Consumption, which we know as Tuberculosis.

In real life Henry had 2 sisters Margaret, who died of a stroke. And Mary she was the siser who actually married Brandon, but I couldn't find what she died of.

Leaving actual history out, the disease that was in that period of time mentioned in the show was "The Sweat". Off topic, I didnt like the way she died. So alone and miserable. I really hated Charles in the episode. He was a real SOB.