The Tudors Forums

Showtime (ended 2010)

The Tudors Official Question and Answer Thread

  • Avatar of crazybabecake

    crazybabecake

    [21]Jun 3, 2008
    • member since: 08/08/06
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 732
    gam97 wrote:
    crazybabecake wrote:

    gam97 wrote:
    bergie47 wrote:
    what did henrys sister die off?
    i think it is the sweat. It was some plague in those days.

    If your are talking about Margret, the sister that was portrayed in this series.....Brandon told Henry she died of Consumption, which we know as Tuberculosis.

    In real life Henry had 2 sisters Margaret, who died of a stroke. And Mary she was the siser who actually married Brandon, but I couldn't find what she died of.

    Leaving actual history out, the disease that was in that period of time mentioned in the show was "The Sweat". Off topic, I didnt like the way she died. So alone and miserable. I really hated Charles in the episode. He was a real SOB.

    He was a real SOB. Henry was right to be mad at him for not telling him she was sick. Of course he didn't spend enough time with her in the end to actually know she was sick.

    I was leaving actual history out when I said Margaret the sister in the show died of Consumption. I'm positive that is what Brandon told Henry. There was the episode where England was plagued with the Sweat, but that was a bit ealier in season 1.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of justjaydub

    justjaydub

    [22]Jun 8, 2008
    • member since: 03/21/07
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 4
    Yea, she definitely died of consumption. She is seen early in the episode coughing up blood, and the she dies spewing blood everywhere. To top it off, Henry explicitly says it was consumption. So...it's consumption.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gam97

    gam97

    [23]Jun 9, 2008
    • member since: 05/29/07
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 588
    crazybabecake wrote:
    gam97 wrote:
    crazybabecake wrote:

    gam97 wrote:
    bergie47 wrote:
    what did henrys sister die off?
    i think it is the sweat. It was some plague in those days.

    If your are talking about Margret, the sister that was portrayed in this series.....Brandon told Henry she died of Consumption, which we know as Tuberculosis.

    In real life Henry had 2 sisters Margaret, who died of a stroke. And Mary she was the siser who actually married Brandon, but I couldn't find what she died of.

    Leaving actual history out, the disease that was in that period of time mentioned in the show was "The Sweat". Off topic, I didnt like the way she died. So alone and miserable. I really hated Charles in the episode. He was a real SOB.

    He was a real SOB. Henry was right to be mad at him for not telling him she was sick. Of course he didn't spend enough time with her in the end to actually know she was sick.

    I was leaving actual history out when I said Margaret the sister in the show died of Consumption. I'm positive that is what Brandon told Henry. There was the episode where England was plagued with the Sweat, but that was a bit ealier in season 1.

    Headlines

    "Mary Dying of the Sweat"

    Publication Retracted Officially!

    Sorry ppl I went back and check and consumption it is that she had died from. I think I was confused because there was that other disease that ppl were afraid of. anyway, sorry for answering a Q b4 being 101% sure of the answer. Hope you accept my retraction

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of luvthistle1

    luvthistle1

    [24]Jun 24, 2008
    • member since: 06/24/05
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 194

    In the season 2 finale, I am sorry to say I was lost on a big symbolic theme. What did the swans symbolize? espeacially the ending. I mean I think i know what it means but what does everyone else think?

    Swans are believe to mate for life, and was a symbol of Henry and Anne's love .Henry got the swans at the begining of his and Anne relationship,because he believe that they represented his love for Anne,which was supposed to last "Forever". Henry had one of the swans killed, as Anne was being beheaded...to represent the death of his love for her.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Mrs-JM

    Mrs-JM

    [26]Jul 1, 2008
    • member since: 09/07/05
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 8
    I just started watching The Tudors and I just had a question about season one, I was hoping someone could clarify for me. How many years does the season span? Henry has a son in the first episode and then, in the fifth episode (I think) he appears to already be 3 or 4.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of justacsifreak

    justacsifreak

    [27]Jul 2, 2008
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 431

    The show often skips ahead many years without warning to address the most important points in Tudor history. Season 1 covered at least 10 years, beginning at around 1520 (as princess Mary, born in 1516, was shown first to be about 3 or 4 years old) and leaving off at around 1530...
    ***SPOILER***


    Edited on 07/02/2008 9:26pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TudorRose

    TudorRose

    [28]Jul 4, 2008
    • member since: 04/28/08
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 440
    I have a Question do you think Katharine of Aragon was poisoned by a member of the Boleyn family? I think yes.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of justacsifreak

    justacsifreak

    [29]Jul 7, 2008
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 431

    I'm not sure this is that kind of Q&A thread--what you have there is an opinion-focused question. But no, I don't think a Boleyn poisoned Katherine because according to many historical reports, that was merely a rumor that she had even been poisoned. Besides, the Boleyns would not have had the means to slowly poison her. And Henry didn't poison her, either. He had many quicker means of death at his disposal. Anyway, one report I read suggested that, according to the physician's report at the time, there was a black discoloration of Katherine's heart--what they thought, back then, was a sign of poisoning. Modern physicians have concluded that such a discoloration would indicate she most likely died of cancer.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gam97

    gam97

    [30]Jul 9, 2008
    • member since: 05/29/07
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 588
    justacsifreak wrote:

    I'm not sure this is thatkind of Q&A thread--what you have there is an opinion-focused question. But no, I don't think a Boleyn poisoned Katherine because according to many historical reports, that was merely a rumor that she had even been poisoned. Besides, the Boleyns would not have had the means to slowly poison her. And Henry didn't poison her, either. He had many quicker means of death at his disposal. Anyway, one report I read suggested that, according to the physician's report at the time, there was a black discoloration of Katherine's heart--what they thought, back then, was a sign of poisoning. Modern physicians have concluded that such a discoloration would indicate she most likely died of cancer.

    I concur

    No, seriously, I agree. But what puzzles me is why would they perform autopsy on her corpse? they are supposed to assume that she died a natural death until they have other indication to the contrary and not perform and dissect a body until they have good reason to do so because a dead person's body is sacred. So why would they open her up if they didnt have reason to doubt that she died naturally?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of justacsifreak

    justacsifreak

    [31]Jul 9, 2008
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 431
    Like I mentioned, it's very likely that the rumors of her being poisoned did exist, so that probably would have been cause to autopsy her body. I was just pointing out that it turns out they were probably just rumors. Anyway, it's not like she was Jewish or anything. It might have been protocol to autopsy any royal's deceased body.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gam97

    gam97

    [32]Jul 10, 2008
    • member since: 05/29/07
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 588
    justacsifreak wrote:
    Like I mentioned, it's very likely that the rumors of her being poisoned did exist, so that probably would have been cause to autopsy her body. I was just pointing out that it turns out they were probably just rumors. Anyway, it's not like she was Jewish or anything. It might have been protocol to autopsy any royal's deceased body.

    Off-Topic: Uuuuummmmm.... Jewish have to autopsy all their dead?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of justacsifreak

    justacsifreak

    [33]Jul 10, 2008
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 431
    gam97 wrote:
    justacsifreak wrote:
    Like I mentioned, it's very likely that the rumors of her being poisoned did exist, so that probably would have been cause to autopsy her body. I was just pointing out that it turns out they were probably just rumors. Anyway, it's not like she was Jewish or anything. It might have been protocol to autopsy any royal's deceased body.

    Off-Topic: Uuuuummmmm.... Jewish have to autopsy all their dead?

    No. Unlike the Jews, Catholics don't necessarily insist on getting the body in the ground ASAP. I guess the way I just stuck that statement in there was kind of confusing.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gam97

    gam97

    [34]Aug 23, 2008
    • member since: 05/29/07
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 588

    Hi guys!!!!!

    I havent been over for sometime (busy with homework) but I would love to find out when the next season starts.

    Thanx

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Mistress_Adriel

    Mistress_Adriel

    [35]Sep 19, 2008
    • member since: 09/19/08
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 4
    Hey I have a bit of an odd question, but I can't find the answer anywhere on the net!

    Does anyone know the name of the Yard from were the horses are used on the Tudors???
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TesserT

    TesserT

    [36]Sep 25, 2008
    • member since: 11/13/07
    • level: 78
    • rank: MythBuster
    • posts: 6,165
    gam97 wrote:

    Hi guys!!!!!

    I havent been over for sometime (busy with homework) but I would love to find out when the next season starts.

    Thanx

    The previous 2 seasons both started in April but no official date has been released yet for the 3rd season. Check out the 'The Tudors Season 3' thread for more.
    Edited on 03/07/2009 11:25am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of gam97

    gam97

    [37]Sep 26, 2008
    • member since: 05/29/07
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 588
    TesserT wrote:
    gam97 wrote:

    Hi guys!!!!!

    I havent been over for sometime (busy with homework) but I would love to find out when the next season starts.

    Thanx

    The previous 2 seasons both started in April but no official date has been released yet for the 3rd season. Check out the 'Showtime taps Tudors for third season' thread for more.

    Thanks a mill!!!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sstan313

    sstan313

    [38]Nov 15, 2008
    • member since: 11/16/08
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1
    Hi there I was wondering if someone could help me track down a couple of scenes as i do not have the time unfortunately to find them myself. -One scene is a shot where the camera is looking straight down on a group of begging peasants when a violin is caught by one of them and they all rejoice... -The other one involves a guy taking a leak in a fire while another peasant has a bit of a drunken scuffle for a spot to sleep... Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jaded531

    jaded531

    [39]Jan 10, 2009
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 73

    Q about Anthony Knivert:

    Just got season 2 on DVD this week (AWESOME!), but I noticed Knivert is gone. 2 questions really: 1) Where did he go? 2) I know King Henry's other friends Compton and Brandon were based on real-life counterparts, but I can't find a Knivert mentioned anywhere. Is he purely fiction?

    Much appreciated!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TesserT

    TesserT

    [40]Mar 7, 2009
    • member since: 11/13/07
    • level: 78
    • rank: MythBuster
    • posts: 6,165
    jaded531 wrote:

    Q about Anthony Knivert:

    Just got season 2 on DVD this week (AWESOME!), but I noticed Knivert is gone. 2 questions really: 1) Where did he go? 2) I know King Henry's other friends Compton and Brandon were based on real-life counterparts, but I can't find a Knivert mentioned anywhere. Is he purely fiction?

    Much appreciated!

    Check here for more info on this fictional character possibly based on a young English nobleman who was a close associate of Henry's.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.