The Tudors

Showtime (ended 2010)

anbis82

The Tudors Fan Reviews (51)

• A fabulous historical show, there really should be more of the them. Very well written and riveting each week. A strong cast of actors with magnificent sets and outside filming. Quite saucey at times, but they were like that back then!

A truly great show with great actors playing each part. Johnathon Rhys Meyer is mesmerising as King Henry, well done on fabulous acting, showing Henry could be loving, caring and kind as well as showing a truly terrifying side to his personality also. I really hope that Michael Hirst continues writing more episodes as The Tudors was more than just King Henry VIII. It would be fab if he continued the story on from Henry's death. I could certainly watch this all over again without any series breaks this time round! I thought the last episode was so touching, showing how age was beginning to effect Henry's judgement and we was beginning to reflect more on the decisions he had made during his life - it made me cry anyway!
  • The Tudors

The Tudors may not have followed history as we know it perfectly, however this series was a perfect reimagining of the story of King Henry the VIII. I really enjoyed watching every episode of each season of this series because the actors were perfect in their roles, the major and minor plot lines all moved forwad at a perfect pace, and thesets and costumes where spectacular. It was really refreashing to see a modern look at life during these times and what young Royalty would have been doing during these times. I really enjoyed the awesome actors who played their characters perfectly. This series is entertaining because it mixes action, drama, intrigue, character and plot development. I wish there was a spinoff series about the events of King Henry the VIII's children's reigns! I will watch this show in my yearly rotation because it is perfect from start to finish!!!!!!!
  • One word-Amazing!

Shows i watch are typically not drama, actually other than this show i don't really watch drama TV shows.

I like action, comedy, and mystery. This show has none of that. Don't get me wrong!! I may sound like i hate the show but it is the exact opposite. I find this show to be a break from all those things. Although it has none of those attributes it does have a lot of drama (the good kind), and amazing acting, and incredible writing to make one of the best shows ever created! I cant even describe just how amazing the acting and writing in this show is. I watch a lot of TV, and i can say that this show has the best acting and best writing i've ever seen. Even though i know whats going to happen because it is based on King Henry VIII, every episode leaves me jaw dropped and begging for more.

Even though King Henry was a horrible person you hate to love him! Jonathan Rhys Meyers plays him so amazingly that if u seen him walking down the street you might just bow down and kiss his ring because he is just that convincing!

If there is one show you should watch it would be this one most definetly.
  • Sarah Bolger

Huge fan of the show and of Sarah Bolger, playing Mary. She has another film coming out later this year called Iron Cross, which stars Roy Scheider. She plays a young girl who falls in love with the lead character during the flashbacks to WWII. Her character is also supposed to be a heroine, although I'm not sure what this entails. Her performance looks amazing on the trailer I've been able to download online (you can find it if you google "Iron Cross," it's all over online!), and I really can't wait for its release!!! Sarah Bolger, you surely rock!!
  • the turdors was a amazeing show i wonder why they didnt bring it back i love it i know it was a little bet sexy but i love it

the tudors was a good and a heart break show i know it was a litte bit sexy but i love it show soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much i know they ony did 4 seasons of the tudors but i love it i hope they bring it back case it was and amazeing and wonderful and great show i wonder what are the cast are doing now i wonder what type of movies they are doing now i wonder did some of thr carerters and dateing in real life i love the show its self i hope the do bring bring it back i love love love the tudors
  • i really injoy watching the tudors!! i want to see more of them!!some of the guys are very cute! i like history! your movies are great!!

watching the people and the rolls they play are very good! for the kings house has all the riches of the life syle being very wealthy wanting for nothing but beautiful woman! i like watching the way they lived back in the day. injoy the way they danced, their clothing, the drink and rich food i see them feasting on, making love ,getting rid of the people they didn;t want standing in their way. and the struggle of the common man. King Henry Vlll was a very powerful man! just love the show every series just gets better! keep up the great work!!
  • the behind the scene story of king henry the VIII, most famous for having six wives. he was also the founder of the church of england. may not be completely historically accurate, but this is showtime, not the history channel.

total guilty pleasure! the story of king henry the VIII (played wonderfully by johnathon rhys meyers) of england and his six wives. henry was also the foundr of the church of england and a history maker. take a fascinating era of history and sex it up! the tudors is so addicting! i don't even have showtime, i caught the first episode on the 101(directv) when the show premired. there was so much buzz about it that showtime felt if we got a free sneak peek, more ppl would subscribe just to see it. the first season actually spans around 10 years beleive it or not. henry meets the infamous anne boleyn and in order to have her he has to get a divorce. the pope refuses to grant one so henry forms his own church in order to get it. despite all this, henry's first wife, catherine of aragon, remains completely loyal, believing she and henry are husband and wife till death do they part. anne's father is dipicable, he pimped his daughters to the king for power, boo. henry's best friend, the delicious charles brandon(played by henry cavill), secretly marries henry's sister. in the divorce, henry disowns his own daughter mary and when anne gives birth to elizabeth I, assigns her as one her ladies in waiting. s2 chronicles the downward spiral of henry and anne's marriage. she cannot produce the son she promised henry and he begins to think that their marriage is an unholy union. and during their marriage he executed one of his advisors and closest friends, sir thomas more, and feels loads of grief about it. the season ends w/anne's execution by beheading and henry's proposal to wife #3, jane seymour. while obviously not completely historically accurate, the tudors is well written and acted. the costumes and sets are lavish and the story is fascinating. very sexy, not for the kids. watching it inspired me to do some online research on the tudors family, very interesting group of monarchs. waiting impatiently for season 3!!!!!
  • Henry VIII comes alive... but young and sexy... The show offers a different view of those historical events 500 years ago

I love that show! I've always been into historical dramas especially such focusing on the history of Great Britain. At first i didn't like Mayer's play as Henry but at the end of season 1 and throughout the whole 2 season i thought he was brilliant and really into his charachter (despite still cosidering him a bit underwieght for the role). The events on the show might not be completely accurate but that's understandable because history isn't always well represented in such productions...
    Anyway, the show is great, Emily Dormer is fantastic and Henry Caville is, well, a guilty pleasure :D
  • Did someone accuse Ann Bolyn of being a witch? Becasue of having moles and a deformed pinky? Is that historically true?

That was a gret episode (2-6). Actress playing Ann is fabulous! What about someone accuse Ann Bolyn of being a witch? Becasue of moles and a deformed pinky? Is that historically true? ie: did she have the "markings" and/or was she so accused? These actors are all so great at their art and perfect for their roles. Who does the casting? They must get a lot of work! And the writers are equally talented. Not to mention the sets, direction,etc --- this is the only show I just can't bear to miss!!!!!
  • GREAT!!

I love this show! Personally I have always found this history most interesting and this show has only peeked my curiosity even more. I went to the theatre and watched The Other Boleyn Girl and I have to say this show topped and then some. The costuming is better and the chemistry amongst the characters is stronger. This is a real testament to the actors and actresses in the TV show. Cudos. Perhaps the movie has a few more historical accuracies but it doesn't really matter. People just want to see something great and this show is great. : )
  • This is great entertainment.

Like HBO's Rome, The Tudors is set back in time and tells the stories of the young King Henry the VIII. JRM is brilliant at potraiting one of Englands most infamous kings ever to set on the throne. I never thought I would like a show that depicts history but this is such a good drama. The acting is top notch, the stories always amaze me, the sets are huge and expensive. The show,like many of Showtimes shows, is underated when it comes to award season but suprisingly it got nominated for four emmys hopefully the second season will be just as successful. The critics love it, it is as of right now the 10th show with the most critical acclaim. This is one of the best shows on television. I can not wait to own the DVD.
  • Great show, fantastic story..

Being a lover of the Tudor history period, I have high hopes for this show. I have to admit, seeing Meyers as Henry didnt grip me at first, I just couldnt picture him as a young man.. But Meyers has pulled it off brilliantly in my opinion. I've never seen him before The tudors, and I love him. Such a great actor, and I havent seen any flaws in him yet!

I think the story is going along really well, not all is true to history, but its entertainment, and doesnt have to be entirely true, it just makes good watching, and thats all I can expect and hope for each week, it hasnt let me down!

10/10!
  • Great Show.Not intended for children~!

With everyone's motivations in this handsomely mounted but adrenaline-fueled series so on-the-surface, Dormer's enigmatic, time-halting loveliness [as Anne Boleyn] is a boon for The Tudors, and damn near worth losing your head over.Despite some passing references to Henry's fondness for "humanism" and new, middle-class men, no one is likely to mistake The Tudors for a treatise on the socioeconomic pressures that reshaped England during Henry's reign. Still, the show does a fine job of showing the interplay of passions and politics that shaped so many of his decisions. Now that lusty and incredibly bloodthirsty historical dramas have proven their power on premium cable (think HBO's "Rome"), Showtime is jumping in the act with a portrait of one of history's most notorious womanizers and political schemers.
  • excellent show, has something for almost any taste.

Dispite its occassional break from historical facts, The Tudors gives watchers a great glimps of the life at court during the reign of King Henry the 8th. Each role seems to be wonderfully suited to the actors but I will say that J.R.M. stands out as suporb in his role as the young king henry the 8th, and has me comming back for more.

The show is funny although not slapstick funny, more that the aragonce of the king and the lenghts his subjects must go to keep him happy can at times appear humourous.

My favorite show of the year and my top 20 ever!
  • i love this show!!! aww its so awesome!! it keeps you wanting more!! most shows dont! but this one does!!

i love this show!! it is so good how it just keeps you hanging! on wanting more and more!!! and they are doing a great job showing how he was at a young age!! how he loved and how things was! its alot like rome!! but rome was alot blooder then this!!!! man its sad tho how they killed that one guy! and im hooked cause he is in love with anne! he is cute!!! i mean he is just so good looking they picked the right person to play henry the 8th!!! this guy has him looking like a real man!! i mean its only 3 shows in to the series but its so awesome!!! i love it!!!! ive watched all 3 of them about 20 times now on demend
  • Sex, love, war, and treason...this is history like it has never been seen before!

"The Tudors" takes a look at the reign of Henry VIII when his marraige to Catherine of Aragon was breaking up and he was falling in love with Anne Boleyn. While not completely historically accurate, the fantastic storytelling more than makes up for its inaccuracies. Not to mention that the show is so well-written it may intrigue nearly its entire audience to do a little research on the period.

The show constructs such well-defined characters in these historical figures that the story seems to unfold naturally, as if the audience is watching the real people from hundreds of years ago. Although it's not one hundred percent accurate, it is an interesting take on the lives of people we don't often remember as being human.

It is definately worth watching!
  • A revealing look at a younger version of Henry VIII than we are used to seeing (at least us Yankees).

Filmed in Ireland, this series is a beautiful to watch as it is good. Jonathon Rhys Meyers as Henry is a perfect fit. This show isn't only about Henry, but is also about Thomas Moore, Cardinal Woolsy and the women in Henry's life (of which there were many, and when I say many I mean MANY). Not only do you see the life of a King, but you see the forces around him (mostly conspiratorial) which weave a web of deception, lies and power. I am most impressed with the high caliber cast, the cinematography, and just the vastness of the story. If you like period movies, I really think this is exactly the series for you. If though you are easily offended by gratuitous sexual encounters (in the first episode there is a minimum of 3 sexual liasons) this might not be for you.

I don't know if this is historically accurate, but I have been both entertained and delighted by this series. Showtime has once again impressed me both in scope and story!

The first 2 episodes are currently available on Showtime On Demand.
  • Cable series have done it again.

The Tudors, while not completely historically accurate, manage to make a very dark and tumultuous time in history extremely intriguing and sexy. If only the real players on the world stage had all been that good looking! Jonathan Rhys Meyers is fantastic as King Henry, alternating between tempestuous and insecure. He manages to portray one of the most infamous kings in history with ease and grace. Sam Neill is deliciously heinous as cardinal Wolsey. He makes you hate him too easily. All of those people we were forced to study about in high school history are brought to life by very capable actors. Each episode is full of passion and intrigue. History will never be the same. I highly recommend that you rent this on dvd if you don't have showtime.
  • Young sexy Henry, a court full of women, a country on the verge of war, and a deceitful Cardinal.

I love this show! I have always been fascinated by the Tudors and Englands royal. Especially Anne Boleyn and Elizabeth I. This show gives an entirely new take on King Henry IIIV. We see young Henry and all of his conquest as well as the love that brought an empire to its knees with Anne Boleyn and Henry. Court has so many inner workings and hidden romances and deceits. You come to realize no one is truly safe or loyal.

I've always seen Henry as a monster but now I am beginning to get a new take on him. I see a softer more human side and I think that is important to understanding what really happened.

The producers of this show do a wonderful job of miixing historical fact with a fascinating story line.
  • Not completely accurate, but a riveting story, nonetheless.

If you can get past many of the historical inaccuracies and misrepresentations and watch with an uneducated mind, this show is one of the most visually and aesthetically captivating shows on television. The acting and emotion are superb, the costumes are stunning, and the writing is even better!! It's the kind of show where one cares enough about the characters to have an opinion about each. If you are going to watch only one show on television, make it this one. It bundles every television show element into one. Every episode is packed with drama, comedic moments, real/historic events, and period-appropriate music and dance numbers.
  • The Tudors is a tv drama based on King Henry VIII and shows his life and affairs the way they appeared to have happened. This show shows King Henry as a sexy,attractive and young man and while it does portray him well it exaggerates a slight bit.

I really enjoy The Tudors as it's so educational and yet so glamorous and sexy.Of course Jonothan Rhys Meyers is the reason I began watching it in the first place but over the course of a few episodes I began to really enjoy the story and couldn't wait to see the final episode's results and consequences.I did find it slightly graphic especially since it really didn't need to be when the eye candy is so obviously there fully clothed.I was amazed to see the amount of new talent apparent in this mainly Irish based tv series.I was also shocked to learn that most of it was filmed in Ireland yet it did not get the credit.I am really optimistic this show will have many more series as it received such a huge audience both in Ireland and England.
  • One of the best show to ever come from the Showtime/CBC! Tho they make a lot of good shows.

The Tudors is a Drama kinda like Rome and some other shows i which i can't recall. It is a very good example of how the Monarchy and Church worked back in the days. Back when rome was the center of the world. The production quality is hands down some of the best i have seen from many of the major networks. The costumes are very well made and look very grand, as they would have back in the day. The story follows King Henry VIII as he falls in love with Anne Boleyn(who is being manipulated into the whole ordeal by her father and uncle). Sadly for King Henry he must fight the Pope/Church and his wife Katherine for the power to marry his love. The story however is not all about love there is also war and the politics that war breeds.
  • A crown jewel of a show!

The first episode got me hooked. And as the season progressed, each episode drew me further into the life and times of Henry VIII. I never knew English history could be so enticing! Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Sam Neill act brilliantly in their portrayals of King Henry and Cardinal Wolsey, respectively. There is never a dull moment in the plot, which alternates between passion and power. I'm not concerned with how historically accurate every detail of the show is, which makes it easier for me to accept Jonathan Rhys Meyers as King Henry. (Seriously, who would rather watch a fat old man play Henry VIII than Rhys Meyers?)

Next season should be even better than the first as Henry and Anne take their relationship to the next level(how could they not)?
  • The life of The Tudors. It is about the famous dynasty and how they lived, how the times were ruled by the Church, secretly of course. Another interesting point of view is the social status of the woman.

It pains me too see that the life of the woman was revolving round the man. Without anything else to do,and the biggest "job" a woman could get was being the king's mistress. And it was something to be proud of? Thank God I wasn't born in those times. Of course the producers put sex into light on the show, but really...don't they realize the impact it has? It couldn't have been all about sex!
    And Anne? How can a king, a man, be influenced by a woman like that?
    What I understood was that the king had no idea of how the people of England were living. And worse, he didn't care. It is a good thing that now we choose our rulers, nobody can get a country as a birth gift. And so many that did, didn't deserve it.

And Anne? How can a king, a man, be influenced by a woman like that?
  • A story about Henry the 8th! If U liked Rome, U r gonna love this too!

From the first 2 episodes, I doest liked this series. Meyers has a very irritating face for me... :D
    I wanted to stop with this... but its good. And now I have no problem with Meyers. The series is about King Henry the 8th, from the Tudor dinasty. He is young, but he has an older wife. So he finds love and girls elsewhere.
    Basicly thats the main point.

The story how he fell in love with Anne Boleyn. How he escapes from his marriage.
    How he strenghten his Empire, and deal with his enemies. So If U liked Rome, and this is almost the same. Sex, pretty girls, good music, and a little history lesson. :)
  • A masterpiece of epic, majestic splendor.

Its interesting how people demand shows or movies based on history to be as accurate as possible. While I do not argue the accuracy of the show/movie in question I argue the accuracy of the history itself. For entertainment purposes being accurate is not always the best course of action, based on pure entertainment alone "The Tudors" is a masterpiece. Starting with season 1 shows Henry as a young handsome King full of life and vigor.(Which according to history Henry was in fact handsome and very athletic). Jonathan Rhys Meyers (the main star here) does a fantastic job as a young Henry VIII who shows himself as a rash humanist but also has a short tempered and vengeful wrath of a King. Sam Neill as Cardinal Wolsey, works well because of the harmless exterior but darker much more dangerous under the surface approach he portrays. Catherine of Aragon is a strong character as well as you can truly feel the abandoned and suffering trials she endures but remains strong to her convictions and loyalty to the King despite his mistreatment of her. The rise of Ann Boleyn and her family and the downfall of Wolsey was a great way to end the season. It stayed that way throughout the rest of the series. Henry despite being a cold brutal monster at times shows flashes of love and compassion to his family and those close to him even as he ages and his leg gets worse. There were moments of true emotion in this series, the sadness felt when Queen Jane Seymour dies, the tragic life of Princess Mary and the hell she was put through, which led to her unfair title as "Bloody" Mary. Henry finally waging a war and winning honor and glory on the field, the sad fate of Sir Thomas Moore and the tug of war between the Pope and Henry as he broke from the church. There are many twists and turns, almost makes you wish you were there to see it actually happen. There may have been too many steamy scenes at times, But the violence was acceptable and not overdone. The sets and costumes were near perfect as was the music. Going back to the history and accuracy, these events happened over 500 years ago and history has never been trustworthy "written by the victors remember that" so who is to say that this is not close to accuracy how will we ever truly know.
  • Henry Tudor

The king of England was never so good. I've been fascinated by the story of Henry VIII for quite a long time so when I heard they were making a tv show about Henry I was thrilled but I knew there was a lot to live up to. There is after all a reason they chose him of all the different European monarchs to make a serious about. They do it well too. The cast the perfect king, I adore the set and costume work, they make good but more importantly interesting casting and story choices. The try and work on different sorts of stories, both focusing on the political aspects of Henry's time on the throne and the personnel aspects and choices of his reign. The show is well worth the watch even if you don't know Henry's story but so the better if you do. Accuracy sometimes takes a hit but it's actually more accurate then you'd think and even when they do deviate it's usually only with liberties like time, ago, and to condense. It's a real addictive show, once you start you won't be able to stop. Death, betrayal, sex, intrigue and it's all based on real events. I'd like to see tv shows that aren't based on real stories try to do better. You can't make some of this stuff up.
  • Excellent

The summary was what was going through my mind while watching the first episode of the second season I saw the pilot episode last year and thought this would be a decent show to watch beinhg a big fan of Rome I thought this would be a great replacement for that show but then I accidently forgot about the show shame on me I know. Knowing a lot about the Tudors already it is very easy to pick up on this show so I watched it again from this episode and I picked up on the storyline easily, from what I have seen this show is quiet acurrate and is very informative
  • Kings and queens in a great show...

I always love films about times of Kings and Queens. And with the good script and players, it is unavoidable show for me to watch it.
    The script wirters are great. They are present the life of Tudors without being so historical in a kind of accurancy. I like the darkness and sexy side of the series.
    But what I like most is the costumes and places. King Henry the VIII is well played by the actor Jonathan Rhys Meyers. And of course Henry Cavill is also a very talented actor.
    I know that there will be may one or two more season at most and this really upsets me...
< 1 2