The Tudors

Showtime (ended 2010)

anbis82

The Tudors Fan Reviews (51)

• I found it really hard to come up with a rating number for this show because some of it is excellent and some, quite the opposite.

Most people know at least something about the Tudor Dynasty. About Henry VIII, his six wives and all the intrigue and upheaval that surrounded them. Henry's politicial alliances and the sheer number of his dalliances with other women are not so well known. Most accounts of Henry seem to focus on Anne Boleyn and Catherine of Aragon; the rest just getting a passing mentions.

One cannot accuse "The Tudors" of missing out detail, but I don't think that every single one of Henry's sexual conquests needs to be shown on the screen, nor do I think it's necessary to keep going over the same thing in order to get the point across.

For me, the acting, for the most part, was appalling. It sounded very much like the actors were reading their lines and were more than a little bored in places. I don't blame them because I was too.

The lead actor did a very credible job, as did 'Catherine of Aragon'. Sam Neill sounded like Mr. Collins from "Pride and Prejudice" and didn't make Woolsey sinister enough, even though Mr. Neill is an excellent actor. The actress who portrayed Anne Boleyn was far too attractive. All contemporary portraits of Anne show that she was a plain looking woman. The show doesn't sufficiently highlight how she managed to manipulate Henry and use his love for her so cunningly either. It hints at it, but doesn't quite get there. The extreme power of Anne Boleyn should never be underplayed, neither should the fact that Henry was not exactly what you would call a nice man.

I was ok with the first season, but became very bored after that. I know the story of The Tudors very well and I wish the emphasis had been spread out a little more rather than placing the focus in two or three areas.

All in all, not bad, but given the budget and the length, it could have been a lot better.