The Tudors

The Definition of Love

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 04, 2008 on Showtime

• Jonathan Rhys-Meyers continues to show the audience how physically attractive yet cruel he is as King Henry VIII. Lutheran Thomas Cromwell investigates of the Roman Catholic Church.

This episode was average yet entertaining. My DVR stated the plot as some servant of Henry investigating the Roman Catholic Church. It really didn't have anything to do with that, so points off for misleading. The last season showed the English king trying desperately to win over Anne Boleyn but come this season, he's already having flings with various mistresses. Anne suspects this and questions him and in typical yelling-Jonathan fashion, King Henry warns his wife the queen that he brought her up to this position and can easily bring her back down. Anne thinks this cruelty derives from the fact that she gave birth to a daughter (future Queen Elizabeth I) when her husband wanted a son. She's not far off the mark.

The problem with this episode is that the plot is so scattered. Viewers, especially new ones, have a hard time keeping track of characters and their stories and especially the overall plot. While the harshness of the Catholic Church is touched upon, it is hardly the sole plot like my DVR seems to claim.

Plus, Jonathan Rhys-Meyers' constant yelling (overacting I'd say) gets a bit irritating at times. But Natalie Dormer's portrayal of Anne Boleyn is pretty good without being campy.

Overall, an exciting yet somewhat uneventful episode.