To Be Continued?

Tsumayouji

[1]Nov 16, 2006
    • level: 3
    So, I heard a rumor a while ago that this series would eventually be continued. Can anyone tell me if this is true?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Drakken_Shego

[2]Jan 1, 2007
    • level: 15
    I don't know, but I hope so! It's a very good anime! I think it has the best animation out of all the anime TV shows. It's just so easy to look at and the way they colored it, is the best I've ever seen!

Chiroptera_Rex

[3]Jan 20, 2007
    • level: 50
    The Twelve Kingdoms, or by the Japanese name of 十二国記 or Jūni Kokki, ended where it did because the anime caught up to the series of books that it is based upon. Fortunately, unlike many anime based on manga/books/etc., this anime did not continue past what had been written down by the author. That's a good thing because the anime did not become watered down by a terrible plot like some anime did.

The writer, Fuyumi Ono, has not returned to writing the books in quite a few years. Right now, the only thing to look forward too is the release of the books in English. Her first translated novel will be available in March of this year.

Tsumayouji

[4]Feb 10, 2007
    • level: 3
    Sweet! I've been wondering when they'd finally get those novels translated. Do you have any idea if she intends to finish the novel series?

LittleNK

[5]Mar 10, 2007
    • level: 2
    It's clear that they won't continue the anime to episode 68 'coz the anime is based on the novel. NHK said that  Youko won't play the major role after episode 45,that's why they won't continue it.

Spyrick

[6]Mar 15, 2007
    • level: 35
    I too am upset that Ono Fuyumi has not finished her novel, as it leaves readers like me hanging over the story of the missing Taiki.

DarkCloudOvrhd

[7]Mar 22, 2007
    • level: 1
    Spyrick wrote:
    I too am upset that Ono Fuyumi has not finished her novel, as it leaves readers like me hanging over the story of the missing Taiki.

It's not just one novel, it's a series of them that she wrote, and I do believe one of the later ones (according to what I read at a translation site) finished up Taiki's story. I don't know where the idea that she hasn't been writing anything since then comes from, but that's not at all true. She stopped writing 12 Kingdoms novels to turn back to writing mystery/horror stories, so she has been still doing stuff. She even mentioned in an interview she did with Tokyopop to help promote the release of the first novel over here that she does intend to go back to writing more 12 Kingdoms stuff still, too. You can check out the interview here at ANN.

I'm not exactly sure why they stopped with the anime -- I've heard various different reasons -- though I think it was a combination of there not being much material left to cover from the novels and that what was left didn't involve Youko much as someone else said.

Chiroptera_Rex

[8]Apr 7, 2007
    • level: 50
    The first novel, The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Shadow, has been released and Anime News Network's Theron "Key" Martin has reviewed it.

BTW, love your Scrapped Princess avatar DarkCloudOvrhd!

timmer_1

[9]Oct 23, 2007
    • level: 9
    I have heard the basics as well, they stopped animation because the written series isnt done yet. I hope they do conclude it even though the story may not revolve around the original character I would still like to see the kingdom that she creates and I would like to see the arival of the missing key rin.

dafrogg

[10]Oct 31, 2008
    • level: 5

It would be nice if they continued this story. The anime was great, they should resume it. Though I can understand they are waiting on the writer, it's still bothersome that it's not been picked up again, this anime seems it could easily go into 100 something episodes, maybe even 200 something and still be good. Not full of filler. I mean with all those kingdoms and what not they could do alot and not just recaping stuff that already happend new stuff as well.

Eh just my opinion.

By the way has there been any new news about this series?

KingofIPirates

[11]Aug 22, 2009
    • level: 32
    dafrogg wrote:

It would be nice if they continued this story. The anime was great, they should resume it. Though I can understand they are waiting on the writer, it's still bothersome that it's not been picked up again, this anime seems it could easily go into 100 something episodes, maybe even 200 something and still be good. Not full of filler. I mean with all those kingdoms and what not they could do alot and not just recaping stuff that already happend new stuff as well.

I agree.
    dafrogg wrote:
    By the way has there been any new news about this series?
    Not that I know of.