The Twilight Zone

A Small Talent for War

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jan 24, 1986 on CBS

7.8
  • Once again human race can't understand alien races.

Another well crafted episode of the Twilight Zone, well except for the very poor special effects (Pay attention to the alien spaceships in the final scene) which looks made out of cardboard and painted by a 5 year old.

An alien race comes to earth to end with the human race because we are not good enough. The UN begs for an opportunity to show that we are "good" and it is given 24 hours while other spaceships arrive.

The panic the UN delegates go through must have been incredibly big. If i was one of those leaders I would have begged for total annihilation for the human race is scum.
  • A good example of a short segment

One thing I like about the 1985 version of TZ is that it wasn't limited to 30 (or 60) minute episodes. Those old episodes sometimes felt like they were heavily padded just to fill out the time slot. With the later show's mix of short and long segments, thin concepts that were equivalent to short stories could finally make it to the screen without needing to be stretched out. This was one such concept. Passingly similar to the classic episode, "To Serve Man," it has an extraterrestrial emissary visiting the United Nations. And again, we misunderstand the true motivations of the ET, also recalling episodes like "A Nice Place to Visit" (1960), where a small-time hood mistakes Hell for Heaven. Like any true short story, it all hinges on that one quick twist at the end but doesn't need a long build-up.

If there's one bad thing about this segment, it's that the fashions date it more than most other TZ-85 segments. It was the height of fashion around 1985, but John Glover as the alien looks silly today with his tall, moussed hair, eye shadow and gigantic shoulder pads.