The Twilight Zone

Devil's Alphabet

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Mar 28, 1986 on CBS

5.5
  • A secret society makes a pact that will last after death but it is broken after death for it is not fun anymore.

Great episode. I love shows that have to do with life after death in any way possible.

What is so great about this episode? Well I love the story first of all, I love the setting which is a nineteen century city, tight streets, horse carts and a pact that must last after the grave.

My favorite scene is when all the spirits let themselves be seen but they are all a green smoke in the air. This is one of the scariest moments in the Twilight Zone universe in my opinion.

I think this episode deserved another 5 to ten minutes to know more about the society members and their lives.
  • Different ways to evaluate this tale

I suppose I could classify every Zone episode as 'alternate reality'. I can't quite understand though why Devil's Alphabet earns such a poor overall rating as I remember enjoying this particular tale at the time and enjoy watching it still today. The story is a simple one that benefits from outstanding set design and costume. It's a bit of an anomaly, I suppose, since there's no surprise ending, and no real moral lesson to be learned, but I find it to be a visual treat. This short story is a perfect example of what was possible when the Twilight Zone had the budget to produce something fun.