The Twilight Zone

Healer

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Oct 11, 1985 on CBS

7.2
  • Ha ha! Jackie reminds me of today's televangelists

Jacky, a guy who steals for a living, makes the robbery of a lifetime. This is a nice episode in which we can see how people can actually change their crooked ways in life, of course with a little supernatural help from above, perhaps?

My favorite part of this episode is the closing sequence in which Jackie (or John) finally UNDERSTANDS. He started as a bad guy and ended up being "saved". This shows us even in the twilight zone people can make 180 degrees turns.

On the bad side, it is also true that televangelists like Jackie are in it most of the times for the money and the fame, but who cares as long as they are healing people. The real problem is they don't have this magical healing stone, so we don't have that bonus. Jackie was fake but he could heal at least.
  • Petty thief makes a bundle off of a healing stone.

The "healer" episode happens every now and again with sci-fi shows. It goes with the territory, I guess. This particular episode doesn't stray too far from the formula.

A thief steals a healing stone from a museum. He's shot during his escape and the stone heals him. Then, he heals a neighbor who has had a heart attack. Then, they go into business as a Christian healing show. It's when the thief becomes greedy and seeks personal gain that the "healing stone" begins to fail him.

I don't recall the twilight zone narrator ever having an attitude in his beginning monologues. This one was interesting for that reason.