The Twilight Zone

Paladin of the Lost Hour

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Nov 08, 1985 on CBS

• And old man protects the universe from ending with a magical clock.

Boring! This episode is so boring to me, lots and lots and lots of our main characters just chit-chatting. Although the story is well told and the acting is superb I am more of the creepy-and-supernatural-kind of episode.

The only scene I like very much is the last one where our paladin is finally passing away, leaving the chore of protecting the universe to our new hero Billy. A good watch if you like drama and good acting. Not so good when all you want is lasers being fired and things going boom.

Overall a good experience.
  • A series classic, featuring Danny Kaye in his final television performance.

No doubt a series classic, featuring Danny Kaye in his final television performance. The script sticks very close to the Harlan Ellison story. The dialogue is warm and the rapport between the two main characters develops so naturally as each relate their personal stories.

I remember reading that the producers had a very hard time cutting this episode down to the required 22 minutes for syndication as so much of this story is so beautifully done. It's another example of the outstanding production values that made the first season's episodes so memorable. The DVD release of the Twilight Zone means that entire episode can be enjoyed in its entirety.
  • The paladin of the lost hour passes on his watch to a friend.

The New Twilight Zone is kind of like Larry King Live in a way. If the first half of the show features a real loser, the second half is often remarkable. This air date was particluarly like that.

Danny Kaye delivers his final screen performance in this breath taking, astonishingly scripted short. I missed this episode when it aired in the 80's and I know I would have remembered it if I saw it.

If there are leit motifs in this series, they are three: fear of nuclear destruction, the sins of Vietnam, and station wagons. This show features the first two. And, upon second viewing, I'm sure I could have spotted a station wagon or two.

The tender dramatic rapport among the two leads in this episode is what makes it work. Easily one of my favorites.