The Twilight Zone

CBS (ended 1989)

Gislef

The Twilight Zone Fan Reviews (10)

• What's better than the original twilight zone? nothing, but the twilight zone (1985) comes real close.

When i was just a boy learning to play by the rules of life i found this show and i was captivated by its eeriness and supernatural stories. The show delivers almost as much weirdness into your spirit as the original version. most of the stories range from simply goofy to really dark and scary tales of horror, I really love how each story takes you into the lives of people like you and me and puts them in a situation they would have never dreamed of and best of all nobodie ever stops to think that this might be a little odd and atleast run away!. Weirdness 1000% i recommend it to anyone who enjoys stories with not so complicated plots.
  • Its close to the original twilight zone and arguably just as good.

Its close to the original twilight zone and arguably just as good. So this is the first revival and it's great there's alot of smart people and popular actors that were on this show. Unlike the original twilight zone or tz 2002 an episode for this tz is and hour long and consists of either two or three segments. There is a total of three seasons I own the first season on dvd its great. My favorite episode from the twilight zone 1985 is ''To see the invisble man''. If you haven't seen tz 1985 yet I highly recommend you watch it.
  • Eighties relauch of the classic Twilight Zone series.

This was the first show in the New Twilight Zone series, which aired from 1985 until sometime in 1989, I think.

I rate this series as a personal favorite. I used to try to watch this show as a ten year old. As I did, I had to hide under the covers. It was so scary to me back then.

Even now, watching these shows again, I can see how they are still scary. Moreover, this show features some great directors who would go on to direct horror classics, namely Wes Craven. How can you beat that?

In college I studied history. This show is almost like a time capsule of the 1980's. Frequently dealing with ancillary themes such as nuclear war, Vietnam, and station wagons, this show really gives a taste of what it was like to live back then. I grew up in the 80's. For that reason, I really enjoy this show.

• This show features everyday people put in strange out-of-this-world experiences.

This is truly a great show. The older version is a true classic but this version is highly entertaining itself. Since Rod Serling was not around to do the writing anymore there was bound to be a drop off. The show still managed to be better than most of the other shows out there. Even some of the re-hashed storylines weren't bad since you got to see current actors and actresses playing the parts. It's kind of like when a classic song is covered by a current day music group. It use really bother me as I would think that the current day band is trying to ride someone else’s coat tails. However I have come to learn that in music, movies and television many of today kids would not be exposed to the older material if it were not made popular by someone in the current time.
  • Another great Sci-Fi TV series that was originally created by Rod Serling.

I love this series and watch it on Sci-Fi channel when I can. Rod Serling is one of the great writing geniuses of our time. He took TV when it was still pretty new and came up with something totally different. He didnt have all of that high tech computers and digital manipulation that the people of today have and yet nobody can make a show as good as this. He is one of the founding fathers of Sci-Fi in my opinion along with Gene Rodenberry and Isac Asimov. I love it on holidays when they run a twilight zone marathon and I can just watch it all day. This would be a good one to buy on DVD if it is available. I still will watch the new versions of twilight zone and outer limits, but neither one is as good as the original. His Night Gallery was great too.
  • An amazing show, nuff said.

This show was probably one of the best shows ever created for television. And there are many reasons why this is true. You could have a different character and a different setting every week, and you would not regret if you missed the previous episode, because the story was always a different story. Throughout its original running, this series kept getting better and better, because it presented us a different story, with a perspective given by the "host" of the show, which made us think about life itself, in a philosofical way. In my opinion, the best episode in this series was probably the movie itself, where we could see great actors like Dan Ackroyd scaring the living daylights out of us, among others. It was full of mystery, suspense, and most of the times you would never guess what was going to happen to the main character in the end... Amazing indeed. 10 out of 10!
  • Watching Twilight Zone Season 1 and 2.

Although, I have never actually seen any of season 3's episodes, I have found both season 1 and 2 to be sometimes a refreshing new concept of a twisted plot and sometimes just twisted in ideals.

Shows such as Aqua Vita, Her Pilgrim Soul, and Button, Button, are true to the style of Twilight Zone in that they all share a twisted ending.

However, there are shows that have twisted ideals, that are less than ideal for the show, such as, Little Boy Lost, Word Play, and Gramma.
  • This was really a mixed bag -- the first two seasons (which ran on CBS) can hold their own against much of the original series; the third season exists to pad the series out for syndication, and with a few exceptions, was completely forgettable.

While it was on CBS, "The New Twilight Zone" provided memories that were comparable to those of the latter episodes of the original series. Despite often dangerously veering closer to the style of "Night Gallery" or "The Outer Limits," the first two seasons provided such gems as:

"A Little Peace and Quiet" (itself a variant of an episode of the original series -- this time a woman who stops the world with a medallion instead of a stopwatch)

"Wordplay" (a man wonders what's going on when the world around him communicates in gibberish)

"Kentucky Rye" (a drunk driver gets his just desserts in a bar)

The intense "Nightcrawlers" (a Vietnam veteran's flashbacks become all too real at a diner)

"A Message from Charity" (a love story that spans three centuries)

The classic "Her Pilgrim's Soul" (the life story of a hologram fascinates a scientist)

"A Matter of Minutes" (an unusual time-traveling tale as blue-clad workers construct a house outside of normal time)

"To See the Invisible Man" (a man is condemned to be officially "invisible" for one year)

"The Library" (rewriting a living person's biography can have unintended consequences)

"Shadow Play" (a remake of the original, and just about as good)

All of these from the first year of "The New Twilight Zone" can stand shoulder to shoulder with the original series.

The shortened second season wasn't as rich in quality as the first, but it still featured a few top-notch episodes like "The Storyteller" (a ten-year-old boy keeps his 147-year-old ancestor alive by reading a bedtime story every night), "The Toys of Caliban" (a variation the classic "It Was a Good Life"), and the unique "Time and Theresa Golowitz" (a dying pianist goes back in time to make out with the girl of his dreams, but when he actually arrives, he saves the life of a person who originally committed suicide).

Granted, there were some clunkers in the first two years (there were some in the original series, too), but when "The New Twilight Zone" was cancelled, there were many more hits than misses.

Such was not the case of the infamous third season, made with new producers (and by a Canadian production team) so that there would be exactly 100 half-hour episodes for syndication. Because the budget for each half hour was about half that of the second season, virtually all of the produced episodes showed slapdash writing and production, and most of the "new" episodes were either botched in the writing or the production department. Many of these assembly-line-produced episodes were clearly more of the "Night Gallery" mode than that of "Twilight Zone."

There were some noteworthy third season episodes, but these came less frequently than in the network series:

"Extra Innings" (an injured baseball player is sent 70 years into the past by a gift baseball card... and returns)

"The Curious Case of Edgar Witherspoon" (Harry Morgan is in charge of a curious contraption designed to keep the world from going "poof")

"Acts of Terror" (closer in style to "Night Gallery" -- a physically abusive husband gets his comeuppance once his wife receives a ceramic dog)

"A Game of Pool" (a remake of the classic from the original series, but with the superior ending that author George Clayton Johnson preferred).

There were some curios mixed into the third season -- a rejected script from the original series, "Many, Many Monkeys" comes to mind -- but on the whole, the third season suffered from the cut-rate production, sloppy writing, and muddled direction. It's a shame.

If the third season were omitted, I'd rate "The New Twilight Zone" a 9.0, but the 3.5-4.0 third season drags it down to 7.0. How can you tell without going to guide like tv.com? Look for Philip DeGuere as the Executive Producer and either Harlan Ellison or George R.R. Martin as the script supervisor, and more likely than not you'll be in for a good time.
  • Based on the format of Rod Sterling's original classic, this series was one of the few shining stars in anthology television.

This series, based on the original one by Rod Sterling, had an advantage that is still rare today. Every story was allowed to run it's natural time. If the story needed to be told in only a few minutes, then there would be another story aired with it to fill out the time. This allowed an extremely wide latitude in style, content, and impact. Humorous yarns, such as the amusing "Eye of Newton" were paired with heart-wrenching tales of conscience such as "Her Pilgrim Soul" to complete the hour time frame. This was a brilliant decision, never before or since, has the story controlled the time-span; In every other case, stories are torn from believabilty by the need to force act breaks where none could smoothly fit.

The other important advantage was Harlan Ellison. Throughout the first season, he was story editor, head writer, and co-producer to a large degree. He was the major influence in being allowed to produce the work of such wonderful authors as Richard Matheson, Alan Brennert, Steven Barnes, Theodore Sturgeon, Roger Zelazny, and Steven King. Of course, some of Harlen Ellison's best works, such as "Shatterday" which begins the series, and "One Life, Furnished In Early Poverty" are included in this series.

Every once in a while, one of the stories seems to lack something, until you realize that you've just compared it to the terrifying "Take My Life...Please!". If you were to compare ANY story from this series to the anything else on TV, then the least of these makes the best of everything else seem vulgar and base. Even though Steven King's "Gramma" is one of the weaker stories, I'm sure you'll still be impressed with it if you don't compare it to the others you find here.

I would like to especially recommend several stories from the first season. "Paladin Of The Lost Hour" contains Danny Kaye's final performance before he passed away, and you'll be reminded why his work is admired by generations. "Her Pilgrim Soul", which was directed by no less than Wes Craven, is so beautiful and stirring that the end will have you incapable of breath. And finally my personal favorite, "To See The Invisible Man" by Steven Barnes. This is the story of a man who is trapped in the torture of solitude, yet unable to escape the mass of people around him. The incredible lesson he learns is one that we wish every man was aware of.

The first season is available on DVD, and I heartily recommend it. But be sure not to confuse this series with the later version, which is not in the same class as either this one or the original.
  • A worthy successor to the Rod Serling original.

Following the same format as Rod Serling's original series, this 1980's follow-up very much succeeded in stepping into the VERY big shoes of it's predecessor. "The Twilight Zone" presented many of the same themes as the original but brought them into those modern times. And, like the 1960's original, they stand the test of time. Plus, initially, it had the influence of the masterful sci-fi genius, Harlan Ellison! Phillip DeGuere, the executive producer, brought some of the best writers of sci-fi and 1980's television with the promise of working on a 'writer's show' - and it shows. The word, and the story, is paramount. And, this TZ, like the one before, cast both up-and-coming as well as seasoned actors in it's teleplays. From Bruce Willis, then a young unknown broadway actor to Fritz Weaver, who had starred in several of the original '60's TZ episodes this Twilight Zone chose only the very best to bring these scripts to the screen. One of my favorites is "Paladin of the Lost Hour" starring Danny Kaye and Glynn Turman with a script based on Harlan Ellison's own short story. The episode is classic TZ. But, if you listed to Ellison's commentary on the DVD, you'll learn that this was also a classic confrontation behind the scenes between writer, director and actors. Still, it is one of the best of the first season episodes. I heartily encourage anyone with an interest in "The Twilight Zone, acting, writing or directing to give the 1980's version of the series a serious look. You will not be disappointed.