The Twilight Zone

Wordplay

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Oct 04, 1985 on CBS

6.8
  • Once again a family is target of the sci-fi writers

Family of three. Father overworking it appears, mother at home taking care of a sick child who is in bed. Those are the principal characters in this episode. I did not really love this episode but i didn't hate it either. The father in this story starts to go coo-coo since he cant understand what people is saying anymore. Little by little the meaning of words is changed and what you would call banana now is called planet.

Once again I am left to wonder whatever happened to this family and more specifically to this father....
  • Man loses his mind and has to relearn words.

What if this happened to you? All of a sudden, the word "lunch" became "dinosaur?" What would you do?

When I saw this episode nearly 20 years ago, it struck a chord with me. I mean, you hear about people losing their minds, but what is it like? This episode serves as an example for what it could be like to lose one's mind.

Robert Klein delivers a strong performance in this episode, too. Annie Potts is a welcome co-star. I only remembered her from Ghostbusters.

In a social context, this episode could have aired back in the original series time. I mean, work stress in the modern office is a universal theme.

SYFY