The Twilight Zone

A World of His Own

Aired Unknown Jul 01, 1960 on CBS

• Stranger than Fiction

Whenever we watch a movie/TV show, or even a book/graphic novel say "Sailor Moon", "Lord of the Rings, "Indiana Jones", "Twilight Zone" you name it, it's not just some work of fiction we are seeing but a whole different world we are seeing and everything we are reading and seeing doesn't just feel real but is real depending on how much we believe in it. This is another one of my favorate episode which may have be a slight influnce on a lot of other works one most notablely the film "Stranger than Fiction". What's interesting about this whole episode is it's truely formated like a play. The whole episode takes place mainly in one set, there are minimum special effects, and only three characters throghout the whole play that do nothing but conversation but that's what makes this episode so great.

It gets at the power of fiction how whatever we create from imagination truely becomes real, has a life of it's own. As well as our common need to find a significant other and take control of one's life.

Gregory West character I can easily emphisize with because in a strange way he actually reminds me of myself in real life (not to mention in the same career I'm in writing). We see in real life he is as the begining narrative states, shy, quiet, sort of passive agressive, a bit indessive and insecure about certain things, but most of all sort of sad in a way and lonely. It's interesting how he states what he does and how he made the character Mary he had in his house for a long while a reality. From the way he approaches it it feels believable, shame that can't be done in real life. Anyway, it's just an example of the power of fiction, how Greg has truely created a living entity from his own imagination that he has made into a reality. But we see like most of us he desires a significant other, and not just one that is beautiful on the outside but most of all inside. His wife Victoria indeed is all wrong for him, she is emotionally distant in a way, shallow and worst of all dominering (which is always a turn off for me). In a way it's always a common thing most of us might suffer from when we fall in love with the wrong person. As it is said before the significant other that we desire is never anyone we make up with specifics but it's more of a feeling, a feeling we long for. Mary is indeed the right person for him, despite only brief moments with her, she seems to be a character that has warmth, feelings, and seems to listen and understand Greg best. Greg soon further in the conversation realizes his mistake when he knows that the wife Victoria is everthing he thought he wanted but not what who he really needed. Of course he then soon takes control and corrects his mistake and winds up with the right person in the end.

Fiction and Love are both powerful things that hold the power to make anything we dream of if we work and believe hard enough can truely become a reality.
WZME