A The Twilight Zone Community
CBS (ended 1964)
Comments (9)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Aug 13, 2013
The Rod Serling tradition of the Twilight Zone, where the writer was the star of the show, was completely lost by the time the 2002 version was made. At least in 1985 they were still trying to attract top notch writing talent like Harlan Ellison and George RR Martin.
Flag
Aug 13, 2013
I also think the 2002 version just wasn't that memorable. I could toss out a half-dozen title names and I'd bet no one here who saw them could tell me what they were if they didn't look them up. Yeah, it hasn't been around as long as the others. But it seems like most of the '85 ones have kind of entered the collective memory.
Flag
Staff
Aug 13, 2013
I agree, I think the 2002 one is often ignored. I like to pretend it didn't happen!
Flag
Aug 13, 2013
I suppose the question is also... why?

The 2002 version wasn't bad. They did a good sequel to "It's a Good Life," and their new topical "Monsters on Maple Street" wasn't bad. One Night at Mercy, Mr. Motivation, and Gabe's Story were funny enough. Shades of Guilt was there third try at "A Quality of Mercy" (the second being the TZ Movie).

The main problem seemed to be either too many unlikeable yuppies getting their just desserts, or too much focus on the CW's then-current hip black target audience. That and they seemed to be working from new Outer Limit stories some of the time (Sensuous Cindy, The Pool Guy, Upgrade) . Not surprising, since they had several people from that show working on TZ.
Flag
Staff
Aug 13, 2013
yeah - sadly, the 2002 version is not available online: http://www.tv.com/shows/twilight-zone-2002/watch/
Flag
Staff
Aug 13, 2013
I consider myself a pretty big TZ fan, but I'll admit I had no idea there was a 2002 version. I recall the 80's ones, but even at a young age I remember thinking they were so cheesy compared to the originals.

Do you recommend I watch the 2002 versions? Any particular episode that stands out to you? (not even sure if they're available online)
Flag
Aug 15, 2013
If you're a Christopher Titus fan, Gabe's Story is also fairly amusing.
Flag
Aug 15, 2013
Well, at least watch it for the "It's a Good Life" sequel. Most of them, including that one, are on Youtube.
Flag
Aug 15, 2013
"It's Still a Good Life."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFJ1H1XvT4I
Flag
Follow this Show
Members