A The Twilight Zone Community
CBS (ended 1964)
The second TZ zone actor to pass away in 2015 is unfortunately Rod Taylor. Mr. Taylor passed away of a heart attack on January 7.

Mr. Taylor was a well-known face on TV and movies. He appeared in a number of genre films, including The Time Machine (1960), The Birds (1963), and the voice of Pongo in One Hundred and One Dalmations (1961), as well as the TV series Hong Kong (1960), and the time-travel Western Outlaws (1986). In later years he appeared less frequently, including a cameo as Winston Churchill in Inglourious Basterds (2009) (see below). Mr. Taylor also appeared in a modern-day updating of The Birds titled KAW (2007).

To TZ, fans, Mr. Taylor is best known for his appearance in the first season episode "And When the Sky Was Opened." He plays Colonel Clegg Forbes, one of three astronauts who return from space and disappear without a trace or memory, one by one. Forbes is the second astronaut to disappear, Mr. Taylor plays the role of a man who slowly realizes that his reality is vanishing when his friend disappears and he realizes that it's his turn.

Mr. Taylor was born in Lidcombe, Australia in 1930. He worked as a commercial artist but was inspired by Lawrence Olivier to become an actor. He received a ticket to London as part of a radio award, but stayed in Los Angeles en route and found steady work and a contract with MGM.

Mr. Taylor will be missed.

11 Comments
Comments (11)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Apr 10, 2015
Does anyone know the movie that has a lady waking up in the morning, going to the door and letting a pet out...I think cat...gets her newspaper off the front steps and the door slams shut behind her and she's locked outside. Then she realizes that the whole town is frozen still. She walks around the town, and then starts being chased by two guys for some reason...she runs to a mall or store to hide. Later she runs up to two police officers but they are bad too. I never got to see the whole movie; have no idea its name ends. Can anyone help me?
Flag
Jan 11, 2015
Very sad news to hear,but it's even sadder that most sites I visit didn't mention of his passing other than TV.com and Mr.Taylor was in timeless classics like The Birds and The Time Machine.Plus I remember him from the short lived Masquerade series which I enjoyed as a young teen.
R.I.P. Mr.Taylor,you will be missed but not forgotten by some.
Flag
Jan 10, 2015
I always laugh because I never heard of what you say these actors are best known for, Are you reading that from somewhere?
The Time Machine, The Birds, The Train Robbers, Glass Bottom Boat all were excellent, as well as many others. R.I.P. Mr. Taylor and thanks for the memories
Flag
Jan 10, 2015
Well, I'm trying to cover all the bases, so I look at different periods. If you were watching TV in 1961, you knew Mr. Taylor from Hong Kong. '86, Outlaws. This day and age, no, you probably wouldn't know him from them, no.

70s TV viewers, for instance, know McGavin from Kolchak. These days, it's Christmas Story and maybe Billy Madison.
Flag
Jan 10, 2015
We just recently watched The Time Machine, again. And even though it was our 10th time or so, Mr. Taylor always made the movie worth spending the evening. There were and are only a few actors who can leave such an impression. We will certainly miss him. RIP
Flag
Jan 10, 2015

Memorable scene from "The Time Machine."

Flag
Jan 09, 2015
(It seems you're our official "obituarist," Gislef. When I see there's a new story you wrote, I start wondering, "who died this time?") I remember Taylor best from The Time Machine. If you catch the DVD, there's a segment (shot many years after the film), which would give extra meaning to the story, showing the encounter of George and Philby after many years.
Flag
Jan 09, 2015
While I've seen The Birds and The Time Machine, and even a couple of episodes of Hong Kong, I'll remember him fondly from Outlaws. It looks like at least some of them are on Youtube (rather blurrily), so I'll have to rewatch them sometime.

Flag
Jan 10, 2015
I was living in California in 1986 and saw them adertising this new show called "Outlaws" back then. But I had to come back to my country, so I never got to see it. I remained curious, as the show seemed very interesting. Fortunately, that was also the time for the "Back to the Future" trilogy, which I followed at the movies here.
Flag
Jan 10, 2015
It had a likeable cast, the guy who created Incredible Hulk working on it, juggled the ensemble pretty well, the characterization was strong, and they handled the flashbacks. I think it got buried in a crap timeslot which pretty much doomed it.
Flag
Jan 09, 2015
Certainly the official TZ one, at any rate. Hopefully I won't have to write too many more in the near future.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members