The Twilight Zone Forums

CBS (ended 1964)

45 minutes format?

isidroman

[1]Mar 20, 2006
    • level: 12
    The great Rod Serling always thought it would had been awesome if there was a 45-minute format, instead of just 30 and 60 minutes format. What do you think?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

isidroman

[2]May 6, 2006
    • level: 12
    Wow, more than 2 months and nobody answered.

SRP76

[3]May 7, 2006
    • level: 10
    Nobody answered because this forum is DEAD!

Now, I KNOW there are a lot of Zone fans out there. Where ARE you?!

I think you'd have to keep a 1-hour time slot, due to the setup of every other program.

They could have had 45-minute episodes, however, and just filled the remaining 15 minutes with Serling narration for each segment, or "behind-the-scenes" stuff.

shapeofinfinity

[4]Jun 3, 2006
    • level: 9

Personally, I think if you can't do it in 30 minutes, you need to go back to the drawing board.  Having an extra 30 minutes gives the writers room to slack--making something more meaningful in a shorter amount of time is always harder.  Most 60 minute anthology shows, like Journey to the Unknown and even the original Outer Limits, generally feel like they're just heavily padded 30 minute episodes that would work much better in that format.  This even rings true with most of the 4th season TZ episodes (in part because it gives us too much time to guess at the twist).

As far as a 45 minute time slot, by the time you take out the commercials, the hour long slot is only about 55 minutes anyway.  What do we need another ten for?  If you can write well, you can easily change 45 minutes into 30 minutes.