The Twilight Zone Forums

CBS (ended 1964)

All Time Scariest Episode

ceosmom

[1]Jan 3, 2008
    • level: 20

What do you consider to be the scariest episode(s) of TZ? The ones that really made your heart pound? For me, it would have to be:

Nightmare at 20,000 Feet

The Hitch Hiker

Living Doll

The Dummy (creeped me out--nightmares!!!)

The Howling Man

--the epwhere the girl discovers that she's actually a department store mannequin at the end

--and the ep where the invalid is getting calls from a dead man

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

millerem99

[2]Jan 4, 2008
    • level: 51

Among the episodes I have seen so far, the heart-pounder for me would be "Perchance to Dream" in which a man is forced to keep himself from falling asleep and meeting his death, and the terrifying images he recounts to his doctor of his last slumber.

So many of the stories were disturbing, so it's difficult to pick the "creepiest" but "The Purple Testament" always unsettles me no matter how many times I watch (in which the commander can foretell which men will die in battle by a light that shines on their faces) and I am always haunted by "Judgment Night."

The nightmare frustration of the trapped couple who cannot escape the eerie townin "Stopover in a Quiet Town" hits me when they are on the train and look out the window to find that the name of the town is the one that they just left, and they've simply gone in a circle.

JediSnoopy

[3]Jan 4, 2008
    • level: 13

The first episode I ever saw was Nick of Time. That devil bobble-head freaked me out.

Now, I would say that It'sa Good Life, Night Call and To Serve Man are among the freakiest.

tvking1

[4]Jan 8, 2008
    • level: 42
    There were, of course, several, like "To Serve Man", "Stopover in a Quiet Town", "It's a Good Life", and "The Hitchhiker". But I'd have to say "The Howling Man". At the end we see the lady, presumably the maid, about to open the door that will turn Satan loose, like Pandora opening the box that would release all the world's evils. We also know what comes next, something that was not known at the time the episode first aired: the turbulent 60s, like the Vietnam war, assassinations, etc. And, of course, all that has happened since.

cherrytree34

[5]Jan 8, 2008
    • level: 13
    Ok, I know she's only a doll, but Talking Tina scares the crap out of me. I recently received a talking stuffed bear for Christmas, and every time he talks, my heart skips a beat.

tvking1

[6]Jan 8, 2008

cherrytree34 wrote:
    Ok, I know she's only a doll, but Talking Tina scares the crap out of me. I recently received a talking stuffed bear for Christmas, and every time he talks, my heart skips a beat.

Hmm, I wonder if Talking Tina was an inspiration for Chuckie (the Child's Play movies).

Another one was "The Lateness of the Hour". Inger Stevens could actually love and feel emotions, or so she thought, until she realized to her horror, and ours, that she was really a robot.

sheep233

[7]Jan 12, 2008
    • level: 22
    Living Doll, Nightmare at 20,000 feet, Death's Head Revisited, the grave, and spur of the moment.

tvking1

[8]Jan 14, 2008
    How could I forget "And When The Sky Was Opened"? Sci-Fi showed it this morning. Like the alternate reality sequence in It's A Wonderful Life, only without the happy ending. Eerie!

LOSTismylife

[9]Jan 14, 2008
    • level: 21
    I agree with the previously posted episodes so I won't rename them again. But one not listed that used to scared me out was Twenty-Two. "Room for one more, honey" freaked me out for a long time afterwards.

MajLorne

[10]Feb 18, 2008

Death's Head Revisited, Perchance to Dream, the Grave, and Twenty-Two were all pretty creepy imo. In fact, the last 2 I was familiar with by reading similar stories in a book before getting to watch those episodes. Only the Grave had a sort of 'twist' ending that I didn't expect.

But finally the most creepy of all ending had to have been "Mr. Garrity and the Graves" where the dead really were raised from the dead.

Edited on 02/18/2008 10:13pm

MajLorne

[11]Feb 18, 2008
    ceosmom wrote:

--the epwhere the girl discovers that she's actually a department store mannequin at the end

--and the ep where the invalid is getting calls from a dead man

1 The After hours [season 1]

2 Night Call [season 5]

Edited on 02/18/2008 10:17pm

ultimate-tv-fan

[12]Feb 19, 2008
    • level: 5

I thought it was pretty scary The After Hours, Twenty Two, Living Doll, Nothing In The Dark, ( I donĀ“t remember any others right now) but the others have a great twist a the end typical of this show I have to say.

ultimate-tv-fan

[13]Feb 19, 2008
    • level: 5
    Ohh I forgot Long Distance Call that grandmother was so creepy!!!!! ,she really was.

FightingWeasel

[14]Feb 21, 2008
    • level: 14
    I like spur of the moment. I also enjoy the hitchiker!

EdwardoMario16

[15]Feb 23, 2008
    • level: 10

The Hitch-hiker

The Grave

The Thirty-Fathom Grave

Night Call

The Midnight Sun

I am the night, color me black.

The After Hours

Living Doll

The New Exhibit

The Invaders

angelica3always

[16]Feb 28, 2008
    • level: 2

My all time scariest twilight shows are the shows that made me as a little girl scared.

1. The Fever- I love Las Vegas but every time that I go there I swear I can hear that creepy music and almost sense the slot machine coming after me!

2. The Invaders-All the woman from "Bewitched" did was scream to the top of her lungs. ( I first saw the twilight zone as reruns at the same time that bewitched was on TV the early 70's Thur the early 80's) and then the 'invaders were from earth? Bizarre!

3. Twenty-two- I'm a nurse so I am not scared of death. I love to travel and fly. However, if I EVER hear someone say to me "Room for one more honey"while I am working or about to get on an airplane I'm outta there!

4. Eye of the Beholder- What my mother always taught me was true... but I'm sorry those pig-people were going to get me someday.

5. Number 12 Looks Just Like You-Instant smile anyone? I didn't think that any of the bodies were pretty and all of them were white. I'm Black and I didn't like the idea that they might change someones' race in the future.