The Twilight Zone Forums

CBS (ended 1964)

Help identifying an episode

susanb888

[1]Feb 12, 2010
    • level: 1

Hi. I don't really think this is a TZ episode, bu the folks I asked on the old movie site thought it might be. It's been driving me crazy for 20 years. Maybe someone can help.

The ending, at least from what I can remember (I was 5), goes like this:

So, it was black and white and the woman I remember in the movie had on one of those 40s or 50s dresses: the bell shaped skirt passed the knee. I think the family is in a country house somewhere and I believe they are there because of one family member: the woman in the dress. They think she's crazy or is having some sort of nervous breakdown. The entire family leaves for some sort of outing and decides that she should stay home and rest. She doesn't want to be left alone, but I think they give her some sort of sedative and make her stay home. So, when it gets dark, these creature things come out, of the vent somehow I think, and come after her. Because she's sedated, she's not fully able to pull away and these creature things drag her down a huge old fashioned stair case. On the way down, she pulls over a little table/stand of some sort and gets her hands on a camera. She takes pictures to get the flash to go off—apparently the creatures don't like the flash. But that only buys her a little time. Eventually, the creatures win and drag her down into a vent either near or on the floor at the bottom of the stairs. I think that's how it ends.

Any of this sound familiar to anyone?

Hi. I don't really think this is a OSB episode, bu the folks I asked on the old movie site thought it might be. It's been driving me crazy for 20 years. Maybe someone can help.

The ending, at least, goes like this:

So, it was black and white and the woman I remember in the movie had on one of those 40s or 50s dresses: the bell shaped skirt passed the knee. I think the family is in a country house somewhere and I believe they are there because of one family member: the woman in the dress. They think she's crazy or is having some sort of nervous breakdown. The entire family leaves for some sort of outing and decides that she should stay home and rest. She doesn't want to be left alone, but I think they give her some sort of sedative and make her stay home. So, when it gets dark, these creature things come out, of the vent somehow I think, and come after her. Because she's sedated, she's not fully able to pull away and these creature things drag her down a huge old fashioned stair case. On the way down, she pulls over a little table/stand of some sort and gets her hands on a camera. She takes pictures to get the flash to go off—apparently the creatures don't like the flash. But that only buys her a little time. Eventually, the creatures win and drag her down into a vent either near or on the floor at the bottom of the stairs. I think that's how it ends.

Any of this sound familiar to anyone?

(select an action below) ______________ Delete Message Edit Message View Edit History
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dan62tvt

[2]Feb 17, 2010
    • level: 19
    Not TZ, sorry I can't help you more.

comiceinstein

[3]Mar 6, 2010
    • level: 2
    The name of that movie was "Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark." I remember that it had Kim Darby from "True Grit" in it and Timothy Hutton's dad. I'm pretty sureit was part of the ABC Tuesday and/or Thursday Night movie program. The same wonderful institution that brought us Steven Spielberg's first ever movie, "Duel" and who can forget "Killdozer?" As a youngster I too found"Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark" creepy. Little demon things that would come out at night to get you. What is scarier than that to a kid?

Here's the story as well as I can remember it. A business exec and his semi-ditzy wife move into her old family house, a spooky two story Victorian mansion. Like all semi-ditzy wives, she starts to redecorate. She comes across a locked room in the house. The handyman insists she should leave the room locked, but she finally gets her way and the key. Once she opens her father's old study, she that the fireplace has been bricked up. Of course, she has the bricks from the fireplace removed and that's when the fun starts. She begins to see small creatures in the edges of the darkness and what do you know, no one will believe her. Things go from bad to worse when the little demons murder her decorator (or was it the handyman?) by tripping him at the top of the stairs. She sees a rope lying across the stepwhere he tripped, but as she goes to grab it, the little imps reel it from her grasp. For some reason, they want her. It ends the way you describe. Kind of depressing as they pull her down the fireplace.