The Twilight Zone Forums

CBS (ended 1964)

How old are you TZ fans?

kaze950

[81]Jul 4, 2008
    • level: 2
    17, started watching about a year ago. Shame the series only airs at 1AM on SciFi. I saw a commercial for twilight zone on MY20, only to find out it was the 2003 revival...and it looked really stupid.

I love the series, some episodes more than others. I've recently been getting into 'old black and white' films, like Seventh Seal also.

I'm enjoying the marathon. I'd say my favorite episodes are The Obsolete Man, and He's Alive. I also found The Bard very fuinny.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

knock7785

[82]Jul 4, 2008
    • level: 11
    Another 45 year old checking in. I'm glad that this show has appealed to so many different ages. I guess that's just an example of how timeless these episodes are! I had the snot scared out of me during the early days of reruns and I still enjoy them today. I'm trying to get my 15 year old son into it as well so we can enjoy the marathons and he can appreciate what Dad had the pleasure of growing up with!! Peace.

bugsy29

[83]Jul 4, 2008
    • level: 15
    I'm 14, and the episode "Living Doll" scares the crud out of me.

DarthFreeza

[84]Jul 5, 2008
    • level: 23
    I'm 18 and same about "Living Doll" being madd scary.

DrCook920

[85]Jul 5, 2008
    • level: 17

I am 38 and have been a fan for as long as I can remember. I watched the movie when it came out and have seen both "revivals" come and go. Nothing can compare to the original.

I think we have the Sci Fi marathons to thank for the plethora of young fans out there. I know my husband and I look forward to them so much. Today we are 'coming down' from 2 days of TZ bliss, although we were bummed that they didn't show "A Stop at Willoughby". Now we have to wait til New Year's................

gamerx2

[86]Jul 8, 2008
    • level: 3
    31 over here.

Saw the movie first when I was 9, in 1985, since it had Dan Aykroyd in it. Gotta admit, the prologue creeped me out, since I only knew him from comedic roles, like in Ghostbusters, Trading Places & SNL.

Bought the DVD set of the 1959 ver awhile ago for my grandfather & borrowed them to see what the fuss was about. Gotta admit, pretty good storytelling, probably would've done me some good to see them in my pre-teen days.

None of the shows scared or bothered me, like I imagined they would, but they were quite entertaining & it was nice seeing a young "pre Star Trek" William Shatner.

girl-next-door

[87]Jul 11, 2008
    • level: 4
    16, and does anyone know where I can find the episode called "The Dummy"?

revbucky

[88]Jul 14, 2008
    • level: 22
    40 something.

jussanuddername

[89]Sep 9, 2008
    46 here.

gguirao

[90]Sep 27, 2008
    • level: 23
    Just turned 22 on Tuesday.

oldognutrix

[91]Oct 9, 2008
    • level: 3
    I'm old enough to have seen them in their original run... Yikes!

The1Factotum1i1

[92]Oct 20, 2008
    • level: 13

I'm in my fifties now, and recall s few episodes from their first go-round. Then got to see the whole series over and over when CBS put them into syndication in the mid-sixties. Stations that took them at first ran them mainly in the late afternoon, for us kids to catch when we returned home from school.

Though Serling, Houghton, and Co. never planned on it, TZ was most popular with younger audiences, as tons of fan mail from kids would attest. Yet they are on the whole, very sophisticated and appreciated by adults, even more if you saw them first 40-odd years ago.

jrsgalaxy

[93]Oct 26, 2008
    • level: 14
    29 here . Started watching them in 2001 or so. Sci-Fi didnt come to my cable until like 2000 or so. so I was like 22 or 23 at the time. I was never a big fan of sci-fi until that year. Thats when I discovered Trek and just basically had to watch all shows that I could that fit into the Sci-Fi category. Old or new. Although while I love the original TZ but hate the remakes , I find that the opposite is true of The Outer Limits which tried going head to head with TZ and lost which is why it only lasted 3 seasons.

The1Factotum1i1

[94]Oct 28, 2008

Well, of course they aren't on the same level , and never were. Sci-fi once was a richer. more varied form. In the 30's and 40's it wasn't even a distict genre unto itself, mixed in with other types of adventure stories in pulps or dramatic anthologies of a spooky or suspenseful nature on the radio. Usually the term to describe Lovecraft or Welles was "fantasy".

Horror is another type of fantasy, and easily finds it's way into Sci-fi. However, the thoughtful creations of someone like Bradbury, Asimov or Serling rarely need a monster. OUTER LIMITS was far more wieghted towards a monster horror show than good Sci-fi writings of the 50's. OL satisfied my childish need for easy to understand scary-creatures-terrorising-people-tales. Indeed, I actually saw the first episode's premiere, and it scared the beans out of me! But revisiting them later on, you can see the flaws in every episode. On the whole they are nothing more than contrived ways to get the scary monster/s on their rampages. Even in more intriguing stories like the one where time suddenly comes to a nearly indescernable crawl, at the air base, suffered from too much time to fill, and they watered the soup down until it's more water than soup. They're dumbed down monster shows for kids.

There were two schools of thought, you could say, about how much Sci-fi was horror, or should have horror. But in the last twenty years surely, the debate has resolutely been lost. Sci-fi is a monster show. It is horror. It has become the same movie/TV show endlessly repeated.Toss in a great big helping of feminist philosophy (enough with the "empowered' 90 pound, 20 year old super heroines and villianesses, awready!) and you have what Sci-fi has become. I can hardly tell one hour of "SCI-FI CHANNEL" from another.

PinderPower

[95]Jan 4, 2009
    I'm 17 7 continuously re-watch this show whenever possible...i have all 5 seasons on DVDi just can't get enough.

StarRazor

[96]Jun 6, 2009
    I am 39 I grew up with this show. It is so nice looking through the ages and seeing the younger crowd in love with this classic.

matprat

[97]Aug 21, 2009
    • level: 7

wnferguson

[98]Jan 5, 2010
    16. started watching on scifi channel when i was probly 12. got the complete series two years ago. favorie dvd box set that i own.

gossiplive

[99]Apr 22, 2010

iwatchtv1

[100]Oct 23, 2011

I was 13 years old when I first saw itand now I am a 15 year old.