The Twilight Zone Forums

CBS (ended 1964)

My new bride's introduction to the TZ

PikeBishop

[1]Dec 31, 2009
    • level: 31

Hello all:

My new wife is my age, but she grew up in the Phillipines, and while she is familiar with most American pop culture, she has some major gaps. For instance she never saw Happy Days and did not know who Charlie Brown was. (Yeah, I know shocking!)

Anyway, this New Year's Marathon is going to be her introduction to the beloved TZ: Here are the episodes the DVR is going to record for her. What do you think? Anyone disagree with my choices? Agree? Anyy ones you would rather see instead? Let me know!

1. The Lonely ( Pike essential)

2. A Game of Pool (A Pike esential)

3. The Obsolete Man (One of Rod's best morality plays)

4 The Silence (a Pike essential)

5. The Midnight Sun (A Pike essential)

6. The Grave (moody, atmospheric western, great acting and characters)

7. TWo (Great non dialgouge piece)

8. Mirror Image (Vera Miles is sexy, but this one may get cut)

9. Judgement Night (another "just barely made the list")

10. And the Sky was Opened (barely made the list)

11. The Seventh is Made Up of Phantoms (Pike essential and a good US history lesson for my new bride)

12. Living Doll (Pke classic)

13. The Monsters are due on Maple Street (Essntial)

14. Its a Good Life (Univeral essential)

15. 3rd from the Sun (classic twist, she will not see coming)

16. Masks (great characters and wrting, Ida Lupino directing, but kinda talky. Just made it in)

17. Eye of the Beholder (Universal classic)

18. Time Enough at Last (Universal Classic)

19. The AFter Hours (good story, great direction, but sill.......could be ditched)

20. Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up? (Pike favorite)

21. A Nice Place to Visit (a personal favorite and a great lesson on "getting what we want")

So what do you think? What would you cut? What would be your list of Top 15 or ten out of this? Just curious.

Happy Zone watching this New Years.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Gislef

[2]Dec 31, 2009
    • level: 101
    I'd probably put in Nightmare at 20,000 Feet, probably for either 11, 12, 15, or 21. It's one of the iconic/classic ones.

The Invaders is more a classic/twist episode if you're looking for a non-dialogue piece.

SyFy is still editing out parts of the ones that they're not giving the "extra" treatment.

PikeBishop

[3]Jan 1, 2010
    • level: 31

Thanks for the reply;

I don't think 20,000 feet was offered this year. I don't recall seeing it when I looked through the upcoming list. Also, I am not a huge Invaders fan, but I can see your point.

marvelfan89

[4]Jan 4, 2010
    • level: 39

It was offered. That episode is always offered year after year. You have a great list. Everyone has their personal list, but you have a lot episodes in that list that are the landmark episodes everyone talks about minus a few like "To Serve Man"..I might have cut out "A Game of Pool", or "The After Hours". "People Are Alike All Over" is also definitely a highly recognized episode, one of my personal favorites. I would consider that one to also be an essential. It's not on your list but would be on mine. Like I said everyone has their own preferences, but you have a great one. Have fun.

Edited on 01/04/2010 1:37am