The Twilight Zone Forums

CBS (ended 1964)

Show FAQ

dan62tvt

[1]Dec 5, 2005
    • level: 19
    Since forum threads are automatically deleted after 30 days, I thought it would be a good idea to start a Frequently Asked Questions thread (and pin it).

Q:
    Why were some episodes shot on videotape?
    A:
    Six episodes in season 2 were shot on videotape because CBS felt that after season 1, ratings didn't match the expense of production, and they thought that videotape would be less expensive to use. But, the quality wasn't as good, and they couldn't shoot on location, and had to use 4 cameras at one time. So, ultimately it didn't save them money, and they returned to using film.

Q:
    Was there a pilot script proposed that wasn't made?
    A:
    There were actually two. Serling wrote a scrpt called "The Time Element" as a pilot for an anthology series. It was first shelved by executives. It was then aired on the Desilu Playhouse in 1958 and garnered an enormous viewer response. CBS ordered a new Twilight Zone pilot. This one, titled "The Happy Place," about a community that sends its elderly members off for extermination, didn't score well with executives either. Finally, Serling sat down and wrote out a third script: "Where Is Everybody?"

Note: If you have a question that you want answered, please don't reply in this thread. Either send me a message or start a new topic.
    If you have frequently asked question and the answer, please send me a PM first.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mczy

[2]Dec 5, 2005
    • level: 9
    Great idea!(the forum is getting slow)

isidroman

[3]Dec 6, 2005
    • level: 12
    Yeah, only mczy, dan and me are here

kurby123

[4]Jun 20, 2006
    • level: 19
    Q: In Time Enough At Last, what happens to the guy at the end? Does he fall apart into dust?

Spoonagain

[5]Jun 24, 2006
    • level: 18

What was Rod Serling's favorite episode? That's if, of course, he ever mentioned it.

isidroman

[6]Jul 3, 2006
    • level: 12
    Spoonagain wrote:

What was Rod Serling's favorite episode? That's if, of course, he ever mentioned it.

I ignore what his all-time favorite was, but his favorite episode from the first season was A Stop at Willoughby

Spoonagain

[7]Jul 3, 2006
    • level: 18
    isidroman wrote:
    Spoonagain wrote:

I ignore what his all-time favorite was, but his favorite episode from the first season was A Stop at Willoughby

Thank you, but now I'm curious....what was his all-time favorite?

vokilj

[8]Jul 4, 2006
    • level: 10
    It seems like the character in A Stop at Willoughby was insipired by Serling himself.

catlover98611

[9]Dec 26, 2006
    • level: 1
    Not able to access this site in the way I want. Am curious about a possible episode of TZ, trying to see if I can gain access to this board first....please respond....if you're out there.

FakeSnlNorm

[10]Jan 27, 2007
    • level: 28
    kurby123 wrote:
    Q: In Time Enough At Last, what happens to the guy at the end? Does he fall apart into dust?

No, he gets on his knees after his glasses brake and cries that there was time enough at last.

terrydelph

[11]Feb 3, 2007
    • level: 24
    I read elsewhere on this website that Cavender is Coming is the only episode to have a laughtrack. Can you tell me why it was removed from the version found in Season 3 of  The Complete Definitive Collection? What it originally aired without a laughtrack?

SteveBurns

[12]Nov 6, 2008
    • level: 2
    There was a third pilot, but it never got produced. An hour-long teleplay titled "A Stop at Willoughby." Exchanges between actor James Daly, his agent and Rod Serling was going on a full year before the series was produced, but Serling' production company and the network contract failed, so it was shelved. Turns out a year and a half later the episode was re-written in a half-hour format and then broadcast during the first season of THE TWILIGHT ZONE. Like "The Happy Place," the hour-long version was never produced. Source for information: THE TWILIGHT ZONE: UNLOCKING THE DOOR TO A TELEVISION CLASSIC by Martin Grams Jnr. OTR Publishing, Maryland, 2008. I just purchased the book a month ago and it's so detailed that every fact is backed up with verification including dates of letters and correspondence, so the above I stated is absolutely true.