TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

The Twilight Zone Forums

CBS (ended 1964)

Why the the original twilight zone cancelled?

webe123

[1]Jul 31, 2009
    • level: 4
    Does anyone have a link to the "official" reason it was cancelled?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jackee0

[2]Oct 15, 2009
    • level: 5
    After the death of Rod Serling the series stayed in publication for awhile until it simply lost its audience and without nes ideas it was shelved. As time passed a new appreciation for Serling's work and his brilliant mind sparked interest in his work and they began airing the episodes and they were a hit all over again. Rod Serling like most of his counterpart..Hitchcock, others, was way before his time. Thank goodness we caught up to him because he was a genius.

puddleglum5999

[3]Oct 22, 2009
    • level: 6
    Don't know about thecancellations for the 1980s and 2002 incarnations, but the big thing in the 1960s was money. TZ was consistently overbudget, according to Marc Scott Zicree's "The Twilight Zone Companion," and finally it got to be too much for the network. However, by the second half of the fifth and final season, episode quality had gone way down. For every 5th season gem like "The Living Doll" or "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet," there's a dud like "Come Wander With Me" or "The Bewitching Pool." Even if they hadn't had the budgetary problems, it wouldn't have lasted much longer because script quality was headed south.

jackee0

[4]Oct 22, 2009
    I don't agree with the "going south" script choices in that even those scripts along with all the others from the "Twilight Zone Companion" Book is not only aired iver and over but is just as much a part of the iconic era was the much publiczed ones. The main reason being they were the first of their kind and very much ahead of the times. Even the poorest quality then would top any thing done today in that genre. Which is why writers and directors of today are contend with copying, and not very good at that, rather than originating...because they know they cannot come close to why Serling put out on a bad day let alone on his good day. In my opinion the only author that close even close to rivalling Serling is Stephen King ...To bad he is content with sitting back on his past accomplishment and has stopped creating..

ultradax

[5]Dec 28, 2009
    According to the wikipedia: "In late January 1964, CBS announced Twilight Zone's cancellation. "For one reason or other, Jim Aubrey decided he was sick of the show", explained Froug. "He claimed that it was too far over budget and that the ratings weren't good enough." Serling countered by telling the Daily Variety that he had "decided to cancel the network." ABC showed interest in bringing the show over to their network under the new name Witches, Warlocks and Werewolves, but Serling wasn't impressed. "[The network executives seem] to prefer weekly ghouls, and we have what appears to be a considerable difference in opinion. I don't mind my show being supernatural, but I don't want to be booked into a graveyard every week." Shortly afterwards Serling sold his 40 percent share in The Twilight Zone to CBS, leaving the show and indeed all projects involving the supernatural behind him until 1969 and the debut of Night Gallery. "