The Twilight Zone

He's Alive

Aired Unknown Jan 24, 1963 on CBS

• The Darkness in Mankind

Professional Reviewers for 4 decades have panned this episode for its leap of logic, "Americans" will never accept this kind of evil in our hearts and minds. Flash forward to 2016, disillusioned people and disenfranchised people are supporting someone with heavily racist, xenophobic ideals akin to Peter Vollmer. We haven't learned our lesson from Hitler's evil legacy, which is the heart of of the episode. People want scapegoats rather than to face up to the real facts of their lives, there are no glories for a lot of people, just an endless stream of failures and false hopes.

I liked the use of shadows in this episode hiding the shadowy figure's true form, something benign in the darkness from the little money that is left for Peter on the street or the pep talk. Then as the rhetoric ramps up and the body count mounts, we see the reality, the figure is Hitler and the benign idea is Fascism.

Is patriotism bad? Is national security bad? Is accountability in our government bad? No

All of those things are hallmarks of normal discourse in both major US political parties, but beyond the issues, the evil spirit that can drive it into hell is "fear of others", whether it is the others as in Foreigners (Russians in 1960's and Mexicans in 2010's), elite politicians (Communist sympathizers in 1960's or Democrat/Republican establishment leaders in 2010's), or even the simplest issue of a capitalist system the poor mobs of people versus the rich few.

This is a great underrated episode that deserves a second look.
  • More timely now than when first aired.

This is more than just a great episode, it is an important one as well. Almost fifty years after it was first aired, hate is still an issue. In our country and throughout the world for that matter. Dennis Hopper plays a small time hate monger in one of the early roles of his career, who gets a lesson in how to really do it right from one of the most evil human monsters ever to walk the face of the earth. For fans of The Twilight Zone and Dennis Hopper as well, this is a must have for your video collection!