The Twilight Zone

Jess-Belle

Aired Unknown Feb 14, 1963 on CBS

• The Creation of Evil.

The show finally takes itself into folklore territory since this tale is losely based on a 17 century folklore legend on the witch Jese-Belle. The phylosophical and moral concept is what is it that truely makes a person evil, that is what is explored in this tale.

One of the things I really love about this episode are it's setting which has a gothic/brothers grimm like forboding moodness to it. But most of all what really works is the Jesse-Belle character herself. Anne Francis really makes the antagonist a three dimentional human chracter where we can't help but feel a little sympathy for her. Jesse-Belle was obviously a troubled soul that had a strong desire to love and have a relationship with the male protagonist. But the problem with her love for him is it's not real, she doesn't really know him that well both never had a real conversation with one another. It's more like she's in love with the concept of being in love. Her desire of course turns into a dangerous obsession which we see she goes to any lengths to get what she wants.

And she does by selling her soul to an old witch to cast a spell for the male protagonist to fall in love with Jesse. But of course we see that she is not happy with the wish because she doesn't really get what she wants. The male protagonist thinks he loves her but as we see it not real love it all a lie. She realizes the consequences of her actions but it's too late she has already gone to far on a dark path where theres no going back, she run away and disapear never to be seen again without a soul. The spell of course is broken from her abandonment but unfortunately we see she is unfortunately still driven by oppsession and is still pursuing the male protagonists love. The obsession consumes her and she evolves into a force of evil. And I love the way she is made out where at times we see her and we don't see her, bad things then to happen mainly when she's not around with makes her seem all the more creepy. I really love the final conflict at the end which was sort of a race against time, were just constantly hoping the protagonist can stop Jesse before she kills his significant other.

No one is ever born evil, it is always a choice in life on whatever we want to be. But whether we choice the path of light or the path of darkness we have to live and die with it. In the creation of evil the first casuilty is always the soul, then it's one's own life.