The Twilight Zone

Jess-Belle

Aired Unknown Feb 14, 1963 on CBS

• What starts out as an interesting story is ruined by the hour long time period and we are left with a story that goes on and on and on.

I love the Twilight Zone and rarely have I ever come upon a bad episode. But this one takes the cake. It might have been an interesting story at a half hour time limit and become a decent episode. But it is by far the worst. To those who don't know what I'm talking about, during the fouth season of the Twlight Zone, changes in the schedule gave the Twilight Zone a whole hour to fill instead of a half hour. Rod Serling, the creator of the show, was against it, saying the Twilight Zone worked best in half hour segments. But the studio had stronger power and so the show was lengthened to an hour. Don't get me wrong. Season 4 had great episodes,"He's Alive!" being one of my top favorites of the series. Anyway back to this episode. It's been awhile since I've seen it but the premise is basically that a girl jealous of another girl who has stolen the attention of a boy she is in love with. So she goes to a women who is believed to be a witch, to cast hateful magic on the other girl. Interesting plot. Interesting story. But you can tell after the half hour mark, the writers become desperate, trying to lengthen a story that doesn't need it. Things twist and turn and going from being slightly believable (believable as it gets in this show) to absolutely confusing. I was disappointed with this episode, but the true beauty of it is, is that it was one of kind in a series so beautiful with rich stories, livid characters, and plots that constanly dove into the human subconscious. You realize that no greats can go without a stumble here and there. Being one of the few bad episodes of the orginal Twilight Zone, let's be glad there were so many great ones.
WZME