The Twilight Zone

Kick the Can

Aired Unknown Feb 09, 1962 on CBS

• MJ Loved this one!

Learned that Michael Jackson absolutely loved this episode and owned a copy and watched it several times. It gives you good insight into who he was and if you want to understand him better. Watch this!
  • Way overrated

This episode was even included in Twilight zone the movie! It's by far overrated. I hate this episode personally. One my least favorites. The plot is really silly. Old people being young again. Geez.
  • A resident of a nursing home discovers the secret of staying young.

This is one of my favorite episodes of The Twilight Zone. It is at the same time inspiring and heartbreaking. The idea that the fountain of youth lies simply in living like a child is wonderful. The faith displayed by the old folks is child-like in itself. They fully believe that by playing a game outside, they will secure eternal youth for themselves. The heart-breaking aspect of the episode comes in the form of the old man who refuses to go out and play. He has no faith, and therefore he misses out on the opportunity to regain his youth. The larger message here is that sometimes you have to break the rules in order to be happy. You cannot be happy if you live your life by the rules of other people. Instead, you must forge your own path and follow your heart.
  • To his lifelong friend's dismay, a nursing home resident (Ernest Truex) comes to believe that children's games hold the secret of youth. Also starring Russell Collins.

My favorite Twilight Zone episode. Wonderfully written and acted, and contains my basic philosophy of life in a nutshell (Charles Whitley's line, "There *is* magic in the world..."; the excerpts from Bernard Herrmann's "Walking Distance" score are Exhibit A).

To me, this is an episode not just about old people, though there would be nothing wrong with that, but about the meaning of life, about true magic and what it means. I find the ending of this episode very powerful--the combination of joy and tragedy affects me more deeply than I can put into words--and it's certainly a "magic" ending in the sense that it violates the known laws of nature. But it would seem almost trivial to me if it weren't also a necessary and proper fulfillment of the magic Charles sees *within* nature--in things like love and friendship, babies being born and kids playing where the grass is, people being who they are and not who others define them to be, faith and courage, the ability to keep your youth alive even as you mature, the night air and the stars.

These varied and numerous things meld into a unified, harmonious vision of life here--like youth and old age, "curiously intertwined and not separate." This episode has waken "some sleeping part" of me many, many times.