The Twilight Zone

Mirror Image

Aired Unknown Feb 26, 1960 on CBS

• Doubles

This is another one of the really best episodes of the show. Some say it's underrated and it's slightly true it is, thought the spirit of this story can be felt in some other works that have echoed this concept one of them of course is in some of the piot episode of "Sliders".

Anyway the theme of this episode is the limitations of our grasp and perception of reality and the common fear of the unknown. The protagonist of course seems to be a boringly ordinary person but then her persections are chalanged as she claims that there is a double of her.

What makes this episode spooky is from what we don't see and what is unexplained. Things always seem to be happening mainly when the protagoinst is not looking or when she looks for a brief time and sees her double supposedly. But as I said before what makes the episode more creepy is what is not explained, why is this happening to her, if there really are doubles why are they playing tricks on the protagonists and what the heck are they even doing in the first place?

As we see there is a dynamic in the episode between both the female protagoinst and the guy helping her. Just like her the guy also seems to be a boringly regular person grounded in reality. We find our beliefs being chalanged in this episode, from the womans frantic convictions in her viewpoints and fruitless attempts at proving them true just like the guy we begin to wonder if she's crazy ourselves but at the same time we can't completely dismiss her assumptions because most of them we've seen if not clearly for ourselves pieces of phenomina actually happen, most of them we can't break down into simple logic.

This sort of reminds me of a lot of unexplained phinomina in the world from UFO's, Ghosts, Monsters, you name it that have always been said to be real but never fully proven. All of those things are very strange and hard to fully believe and yet we can't dismiss them as fiction due to small but interesting evidance we have seen time and time again.

In a way this episode just demonstrates how we can't just always cling to everything that's logical, everything that happens in contemporary reality because sometimes there is a lot more that is happening outside of it the kind of things were not seeing.

And it all comes down to an ending I found rather creepy once the male protagonist then sees his double and in a slow zoom out we actually see his double who seems to have this mischievous and rather demented smile.

There is always more to this world than meets the eye, if something or yours seems displaced, check the corners and the back of walls, remember to look at this world carefully because out of the millions of people and things that happen in the world there just might be someone that looks like you.
WZME