The Twilight Zone

Mr. Denton on Doomsday

Aired Unknown Oct 16, 1959 on CBS

7.6
  • A washed up gun-slinger is given a second chance.

Things moves along at a pretty steady pace so there's plenty of time to attach ourselves to the main character. Al Denton who starts off an alcoholic wollawing in self pity, who takes abuse and sings his dingnity away for dregs of beer. Becomes a respected figure in the town when his gun-slinging abilities sunddenly return after finding a mysteriously abandoned gun. The transition is enetertaining and believable; when Al can shoot well enough to kill anyman, everyman gives him respect. When we learn why Denton laid down his weapons in the first place things get more intresting as we know this isn't the way he would like to earn his respect. There's no honour for him in blowing away strangers who challenge his quick draw, killing day after day until he takes a bullet instead. When the first of said challenges comes his way the mysterious Mr Fate gives him an elixer that will give Al an edge in the shoot out. But theres an intresting twist due to more of Mr Fates medling and a nice morale to boot.

There's some good characterisation and some nice plot elements, however I did find it odd when he lost the ability to shoot again. Pretty solid stuff, but not amazing.
WZME